• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fitterer Press Conference

Jackie Lee

I know there's a lot of smoke and mirrors going on this time of year, so, despite Fitt being one of the most straightforward GMs I have ever seen or heard, we can't take everything at face value.  That being said, I am disappointed to hear that there's no immediate trades on the horizon.  If we were trying to deal Darnold, we clearly had a much bigger plan in mind.

• Beer 2

7 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

No which is why even do one? I’m saying it’s literally a waste of everyone’s time. Just don’t do it duh

I used "smokescreen" in one post---can't believe a word.   It does, however, seem to signify the "end" of the free agency frenzie for us-so maybe they were signaling the agents of Duane Brown, Stephon Gilmore, etc?  Who knows.

12 minutes ago, Lurk21 said:

I think the part missing from that presser is when he stated  "They have ti call us" when referring  to trading for a qb. That's stating that they have called teams and waiting to see if said team will finally give in. When digesting  that comment, it means....  Baker could be a possibility  but we aren't budging on our trade demands of shaving salary. It also could stand that we have reached out to Arizona and others to let them know we are open for business(when your ready to move on) at any time. 

Thought that was odd.

I think you could make the argument that they're leaning towards QB or LT, reading between the lines you could read either out of that presser.  Just think Fitt is trying not to give too much away.

Personal opinion: If Neal, Ekwonu, or Cross are there at #6, they will absolutely take one of them regardless of who else is available. 

• Beer 1

46 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

So nothing was said

the fug do you expect

why would we say anything at all.  these stupid press conferences is merely for PR 

we shouldnt be giving away any info that could potentially hurt us just because neck beards on the internet are trying to live their lives through the panthers 

Edited by The Huddler
  • Pie 1

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Thought that was odd.

They didn't clarify either way if it was looking for a QB or looking to get rid of Darnold so who knows. I think at this point they feel good where they are until the draft starts. If they draft a rookie then paying Sam $18-19M isn't the end of the world when the rookie is going to have a $5M cap hit and PJ is basically free. If they don't draft a qb then they might have to do some wheelin' and dealin' or beg Cam to come in to compete again with legit incentives if he starts x number of games. 

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I know there's a lot of smoke and mirrors going on this time of year, so, despite Fitt being one of the most straightforward GMs I have ever seen or heard, we can't take everything at face value.  That being said, I am disappointed to hear that there's no immediate trades on the horizon.  If we were trying to deal Darnold, we clearly had a much bigger plan in mind.

im sure there are stuff in the works. there is no benifit to saying we are working on trades. cause then the fans expect something and will get all butthurt wheb something doesnt happen immediately

under promise, over deliver    something like that

NFL%20178x142%20DarkGrey.png
CAM NEWTONQB, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

Panther general manager Scott Fitterer said head coach Matt Rhule has talked to Cam Newton about returning to the team in 2022. 

"It's gotta be a good fit for him. It's gotta be a good fit for us," Fitterer said in a Friday press conference. "The door's still open for us. We'll see where it goes." Thrust into one of the NFL's worst offenses in 2021, Newton was predictably terrible, posting the league's lowest completion rate over expected (CPOE) and the second lowest expected points added (EPA) per play. Only Mike Glennon was worse than Newton in 2021. Newton said in January that we won't play for a bad team in 2022, which would seem to eliminate the horrid Panthers from his options. At this point in his storied career, Newton, 32, is little more than a short-yardage and goal line gadget option for a contending team.

35 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

No which is why even do one? I’m saying it’s literally a waste of everyone’s time. Just don’t do it duh

To keep in touch, I suppose. Fitterer seems to be pretty media friendly.

Also factor in that there were definitely questions to answer about free agency and such and where we are at this point.

Technically there were also questions to ask about Watson but they weren't going to answer them.