• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers favor Malik Willis?

micnificent28

1 minute ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

He's a talent but for the life of me I cannot explain the hype he's getting.  Any other draft and his 2021 performance would have him an 2nd or 3rd round pick. 

He runs too often,  He's highly inaccurate but he throws a nice ball.  That's all good just that it most likely will end up with the wrong colored jersey. 

Some qb is always going to get pushed up... in a year where the class of talent is down you still have to find the girl who looks the best at the dance even if there isn't any  grade A beauties.  It looks to me a lot of his runs were by design similar to cam at auburn. The rise of the rpo offense.

Guy was averaging what 80 yards a game at one point. If your good at something and why not take advantage of it? Doesn't mean he can't throw because he make does show off some nice throws but the difference I see with him and cam is he has touch.. he can change up the speed on his throws adjust his timing.. I think he's a better passer than Newton at the same point in their careers

4 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

I did watch him throw in some shorts and a t-shirt. Not getting pressured to wide open wrs. I also watch some of his game film and it’s not good. So maybe you should go watch some of that?

Nobody is perfect? Go look at any other qb and there throwing sessions I would argue that corral looked the worst throwing against air but people still love him?

8 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Of course you can find people who stick to there gun but if you type in senior bowl qb rankings or senior bowl standout the name that generally* comes up is Willis.. I don't see oh Kenny Pickett really shined or Strong... on overall winners Willis is about universally on every list as a guy that stood out. And I'm not saying I'm he's a sure fire thing I'm just telling you what I see in a quick Google search.

I've seen way more Willis mania post pro day than I did post Senior Bowl.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

I really like Willis, but I guarantee you if the Panthers slipped this out then they are thinking about going another direction. 

They didn't exactly announce it which is why it's a rumor. A guy with connections said he heard... kind of like a movie leaking or a video game leaking early..the Panthers also could not have wanted this to get out.

My real issues with Willis: Our 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks started no more than 3 games last season with incredibly weak competition and Willis needs a year at least to not start. It is just a bad fit for this crew and their mess. 

That dude has a solid shot of becoming a quality QB if he goes to a stable team with a strong coaching staff. None of that is us. 

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1

Just now, Waldo said:

My real issues with Willis: Our 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks started less than 3 games last season with incredibly weak competition and Willis needs a year at least to not start. It is just a bad fit for this crew and their mess. 

That dude has a solid shot of becoming a quality QB if he goes to a stable team with a strong coaching staff. None of that is us. 

With that I think you still have to take the best guy... I Mean you going to pass on a super talent because you aren't equipped to house him at the time? The Jets weren't ready for Wilson and the jags weren't ready for Lawrence.. I don't think you just say no because when will you get this chance again?

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

My real issues with Willis: Our 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks started no more than 3 games last season with incredibly weak competition and Willis needs a year at least to not start. It is just a bad fit for this crew and their mess. 

I keep reading this narrative, but the coaching staff (minus Rhule) is pretty solid now. We will see how much a difference that makes going forward. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

15 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Guy was averaging what 80 yards a game at one point. If your good at something and why not take advantage of it? Doesn't mean he can't throw because he make does show off some nice throws but the difference I see with him and cam is he has touch.. he can change up the speed on his throws adjust his timing.. I think he's a better passer than Newton at the same point in their careers

Cam is 6'5" Willis is barely over 6 feet.  Willis will get killed a la RGIII if he tries that in the NFL.  Cam lasted 8 years as big has he was.  How long do you think Willis will last.  Plus his accuracy is terrible.  

10 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Throwing sessions don't mean squat.  I love how Howell gets the "it's in shorts and no defense" but Willis gets "You must not have watch any of his throwing sessions"

I've seen some of his highlights and 1/2 of them are him running.  His throws are inaccurate and in the NFL that means a high interception rate.  

PASS

His mechanics and accuracy are piss poor in game situations 

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

My real issues with Willis: Our 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks started less than 3 games last season with incredibly weak competition and Willis needs a year at least to not start. It is just a bad fit for this crew and their mess. 

Agree but if they think he's the next Josh Allen or whatever I'd have to take him on a rookie deal, fire Rhule and get a coach that wants to coach him next year. I think we did enough on the O-line in free agency to be comfortable taking a shot. I'm hoping Fitt is thinking long term/post-Rhule. If it's Neal/Ikey/Willis or trade out I'm cool with that. 

• Beer 1