• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Charlotte Observer reports "there's a strong chance" QB Sam Darnold will be the Panthers' Week 1 starter.

TheSpecialJuan

1 minute ago, firefox1234 said:

A rookie won’t save Rhule and he knows that. Unless we get really really lucky it’s unlikely a rookie gets us above 500 let alone playoffs. Not surprising they think rolling with Darnold may just work.

I don't necessarily think that they think Darnold is the best option. They tried to upgrade and are at least showing interest in the top QBs in the draft. I think Darnold is just what they have. 

Sam staying QB1 this season is the first step in a multi-year plan to get this franchise going in the right direction.  No, not because he's good just, precisely the opposite.  I'm counting on Sam playing mediocre-to-bad and that starts the wheels in motion.  The only step I'm uncertain of is Tepper having the supposed 'brass balls' to fire Rhule after another disappointing season.  That's the key element to the entire plan.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Sam staying QB1 this season is the first step in a multi-year plan to get this franchise going in the right direction.  No, not because he's good just, precisely the opposite.  I'm counting on Sam playing mediocre-to-bad and that starts the wheels in motion.  The only step I'm uncertain of is Tepper having the supposed 'brass balls' to fire Rhule after another disappointing season.  That's the key element to the entire plan.

I am only 70% confident Tepper does the right thing. 

• Pie 1

Pride and blindness are Tepper's downfall.

He's the emperor parading down the street in the nude believing he's got invisible new clothes that only smart people can see. Rhule is the "tailor" that conned Tepper into believing that ridiculous story.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

15 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Pride and blindness are Tepper's downfall.

He's the emperor parading down the street in the nude believing he's got invisible new clothes that only smart people can see. Rhule is the "tailor" that conned Tepper into believing that ridiculous story.

mood GIF

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

If we are able to get either Icky or Neal in the 1st round I would offer the Iggle's either our 4th round pick #137 and P.J. Walker or next years 4th with incentives to become a 3rd for Gardner Minshew.  Worst case, there is legit competition for Darnold, the team may get reinveriratoed by a QB who can actually start in the NFL, and we find what may just be the next Jake Delhomme. 

4th round picks are more miss that hit, so I would feel like this would be a great use of the pick.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Martin said:

The ideal scenario is that we draft a LT, Sam starts and fails, Rhule gets fired and we draft a QB next year and set ourselves up for long term success.

100%.

The problem is that Rhule's job is on the line so he'll obviously fight that plan. If he can draft his boy Pickett and win a few games, he can argue that he had a rookie QB and they're trending in the right direction now. 

Which I have a gut feeling is going to happen.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1