• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Quarterback Desperation: The trade and QB market in this year's draft

Mr. Scot

7 minutes ago, davos said:

Athletic but questionable:

Willis, Ridder

Prototype (the T-Rex version) but is there anything special?

Pickett

All seems good from the outside, but why not higher?

Corral, Strong

Developmental/Long Shots

Coan, EJ Perry, Zappe, Glass

--

The one I'm missing in Howell is really the most-sound across the board.  I see the least worrisome traits in his game, hard to peg down really where he falls.  Had to get used to an awful line early on in his career and survived.

I'm game for a Round 1 Neal/Cross/Icky selection and following it up with a modest trade up for Howell that doesn't mortgage the future.

If Howell would’ve been eligible for the draft last year he would’ve went top 10.

Carolinas defense was horrible the past couple years, coupled along with a shitty OL and losing a majority of your offensive production from the year prior, left him in tough position. 

I’ve seen him compared to Mayfield, which I agree they have a lot in common. But Howell is a hard worker, first one in and last one out type of guy. He understands his limitations and has tremendous character.

4 minutes ago, weyco2000 said:

If Howell would’ve been eligible for the draft last year he would’ve went top 10.

Carolinas defense was horrible the past couple years, coupled along with a shitty OL and losing a majority of your offensive production from the year prior, left him in tough position. 

I’ve seen him compared to Mayfield, which I agree they have a lot in common. But Howell is a hard worker, first one in and last one out type of guy. He understands his limitations and has tremendous character.

Mayfield without the personality would be a nice QB! Howell seems more athletic too. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, weyco2000 said:

The “experts” claimed last year’s class of QB’s was loaded with first round talent…

Vince Vaughn Lol GIF by filmeditor

There’s six QB’s in this draft who I would definitely prefer over anyone not named Lawrence in last year’s draft. Four of whom will probably last until late first, early second round, which is why I prefer to trade back and pick up a pick or package a deal to move up to the top of the second round. 

I wish you were wrong, but there's a lot of truth to this. And I'm not sure that Lawrence will ever pan out. Just too many question marks about coaching and the team around him there. I think out of the whole bunch, Mac Jones found himself in the best spot and will probably have the best career. (Yes there was that single digit pass attempts game, but that was also the game plan due to the weather).

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

It takes more than a killer instinct to be a successful qb in the NFL.  The ability to lead guys older and more successful than said qb is the one thing that makes or breaks a rookie qb.

Talent only goes so far in the NFL.  Everyone is talented at this level. Being a leader that can get pros to follow you into battle is the real test. 

And processing speed. The game is too fast and too complex at this level for all but a handful of human beings at this time. Toughest position to play on any team sport and for good reason.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

It takes more than a killer instinct to be a successful qb in the NFL.  The ability to lead guys older and more successful than said qb is the one thing that makes or breaks a rookie qb.

Talent only goes so far in the NFL.  Everyone is talented at this level. Being a leader that can get pros to follow you into battle is the real test. 

I think it kind of goes hand in hand. If you can go out there and make the plays to win the game the team will follow you. Justin Herbert is a good example, quite introvert. They love him though, he balls out. I think if you have it in you to get the team to focus, perform and overcome in the 4th quarter you are a leader. 

1 hour ago, weyco2000 said:

I agree with the Mayfield physical comparisons. The big difference is between the ears and Mayfield didn't fall out of favor because of lack of physical ability.

Rumor has it on the interwebs that the Saints want to package picks 16 & 19 before the draft to move up and grab Willis or Pickett. Who knows true or not. Stupid move if true. Seems they are really high on those two.....or just really high.