• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Michael Lombardi warns Carolina Panthers not to draft a QB at #6

TheSpecialJuan

8 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

I would pick a QB in every 7th round hoping to get another Brady. 

But never in the 1st round.

Set your team up for success  at other key positions in years with a bad QB crop.   Teams can do what has been proven to work by building a solid team with all the essential parts and draft your franchise QB a subsequent year with a solid QB crop.   Putting a rookie QB on a crappy team works out hardly ever.  Putting a rookie QB on an otherwise playoff ready roster, that has worked out pretty well.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, NCTHFL0567 said:

Bingo. They get Darnold for a year before he's off the payroll and get a 5th rounder at best. IT's really not that stupid to comprehend. 

I'm not giving them Darnold AND a 5th rounder. We've spent enough Draft capital on that guy as it is. 

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

I heard a segment on Cowherd's show where he discussed this.

I don't remember him saying that he'd draft a QB "every year". But I seem to recall him saying that he'd be drafting a QB in the later rounds at least every couple of years for the reason you stated. There's a chance that some talented guy is being overlooked. Even if he never becomes an entrenched starter, he may be a guy that can become a great back-up or a someone who can be developed and be used for trade bait down the road.

2 hours ago, NCTHFL0567 said:

Bingo. They get Darnold for a year before he's off the payroll and get a 5th rounder at best. IT's really not that stupid to comprehend. 

59 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I'm not giving them Darnold AND a 5th rounder. We've spent enough Draft capital on that guy as it is. 

No more draft picks!

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

Years ago, the Panthers did draft a few QB’s in later rounds…LeFors, Fasani, Pike, Weinke, but stopped doing this after Cam was drafted in 2011 until Will Grier was drafted in 2019. Crazy to think this team has only drafted two QB’s since 2011.

They also brought in cheap free agents such as Delhomme, Testaverde, Carr, Moore, Anderson….and seemed to get away from this too. 

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

We are not going to pay 37ish million dollars for Darnold and baker.   That is so stupid it makes my head hurt

This is the reason we currently have $30 million in cap, so we can absorb a Garoppolo or Mayfield contract when we trade for one of them after or during the draft. 

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I firmly believe the system, supporting cast, and coach play calling has as much or more to do with a QB's lack of success than the skill level of the QB.  That is why they miss--they study the "messiah" without looking into their ability to stay disciplined and support him.

This is why I'm 100 on the LT or bust train. Darnold SHOULD look better behind a real O-line, so  let's just roll with him and see if he improves. Or, a better option IMO, go get Minshew, who will be a very good back up once we find a franchise QB down the road.

19 hours ago, Martin said:

Now I feel much better about drafting Willis. If Lombardi says not too, I’m all in 😂

For some reason I never gave the same standards to Lombardi as other gas bags. I guess its rare to hear form a former GM and that guy was in the same room as Bill for a few years. He does get a couple things wrongs, but hard for me to overlook the insight. He does feel like hes always trying to sound smarter than he is. Plus I do think Im a sucker for his stories. 

9 minutes ago, Basbear said:

For some reason I never gave the same standards to Lombardi as other gas bags. I guess its rare to hear form a former GM and that guy was in the same room as Bill for a few years. He does get a couple things wrongs, but hard for me to overlook the insight. He does feel like hes always trying to sound smarter than he is. Plus I do think Im a sucker for his stories. 

He is 100% right that a rookie qb is not going to save Rhules job.  Its just going to saddle the next coach with a qb they probably didnt want and waste a year for that rookie because he has to learn another system

10 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He is 100% right that a rookie qb is not going to save Rhules job.  Its just going to saddle the next coach with a qb they probably didnt want and waste a year for that rookie because he has to learn another system

He is right, hell I said that months ago...maybe thats why I like the guy, we share the same thoughts time-2-time. But I dont see how a LT will save Rhule either........ I still keep seeing the "experts" mocking QBs to the panthers, smart in-touch guys...its weird..

Again hot seat coaches drafting early QB is not the way to build a NFL team. QB opinions heavily vary on most QBs. Member our great Marty Herniay having Will "IG influ" Grier rated higher than Kyler Murray..... what a joke.

Edited by Basbear

As I recall, Lombardi's been a GM a couple of times but never for very long.

A couple years back when he was working as an insider, he reported the story that John Fox was going to be fired. Nobody else was saying it but he stuck by it and repeated it over and over.

It didn't happen.