• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person redrafts 2019

ladypanther

https://theathletic.com/3255148/2022/04/18/panthers-nfl-draft-2019-do-over/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Like many of his drafts, then-general manager Marty Hurney nailed the first pick but didn’t fare so well subsequently. By the end of training camp last summer, five members of the seven-player draft were gone before the start of their third season —

Ouch!

• Pie 1
  • The D 1

16 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

The fact that if Burns hadn't been available the pick would have been Little is a relief and makes you want to throw up at the same time. We had so much opportunity in that draft and blew it on Greg Little and Will Grier. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I have a tough time buying the choice to stick with Dennis Daley.

Finding any offensive linemen who is serviceable as a backup in the 6th is ok in my book. It's about what I would expect in that round. A warm body that can play a game here and there but not a guy you expect to start week to week. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, OldhamA said:

The Athletic seems like a great idea in principle, but the local journalists they employ are terrible. 

I think the moral of the story is that most journalists these days in general are just terrible.  Probably always been that way and I just never paid much attention. 

8 minutes ago, stbugs said:

We truly got lucky that Jones and Haskins went early and Burns was still around. Most of us thought he’d be gone well before our pick. The draft might have been the worst draft in NFL history if Burns was gone. 

We got lucky Daniel Snyder wanted Haskins so badly. He forced them to take him ahead of us then Sweat with their 2nd first round pick. I remember wondering what the hell Washington was thinking when they took Haskins knowing they needed a DE. 

15 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

That's an odd article to write, it's 2022. Why not do a 2021 redraft or 2020?

We have a new GM and coach.

Right. Marty Hurney exits and the first big move of the new regime is trading for Sam Darnold. Now we are back to restructuring contracts left and right with no viable starting QB on the roster. We're doing a bang up job of carrying on the tradition ol' Hurney started. Somehow Fitterer has a reputation as a guru here but you wouldn't see it from the moves last year especially those first day OL signings. He has just as much to prove as Rhule.

Edited by frankw

1 minute ago, frankw said:

Right. Marty Hurney exits and the first big move of the new regime is trading for Sam Darnold and now we are back to restructuring contracts left and right with no viable starting QB on the roster. We're doing a bang up job of carrying on the tradition ol' Hurney started. Somehow Fitterer has a reputation as a guru here but you wouldn't see it from the moves last year especially those first day OL signings.

Come to think of it, Hurney hired his replacement when he hired Rhule and by extension when Rhule hired Fitterer.  So in essence Hurney never left.

We are no further along than we were 3 years ago. Only the names have changed on the doors but there's no real change going on.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Come to think of it, Hurney hired his replacement when he hired Rhule and by extension when Rhule hired Fitterer.  So in essence Hurney never left.

We are no further along than we were 3 years ago. Only the names have changed on the doors but there's no real change going on.

Hurney sucked but he did try to sell Rhule on Herbert. Of course he didn't listen. We also would have had to trade up. But if we could do it all over again i think most of us would trade just about anyone to take JH.

Just now, frankw said:

Hurney sucked but he did try to sell Rhule on Herbert. Of course he didn't listen. We also would have had to trade up. But if we could do it all over again i think most of us would trade just about anyone to take JH.

Of course we would.  If we had the benefit of hindsight I would say everyone would go back and take Tom Brady with their first pick as well.  But unfortunately it doesn't work that way. 

Hurney's greatest talent was being able to pick a no brainer 1st round selection in the top 10. That act alone kept the fans and owner from remembering why we were picking that high in the first place. 

• Pie 2