• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

JT O'Sullivan's 2022 QB Rankings

Ricky Spanish

I find this rather interesting and is definitely a conversation starter:

His rankings:

1. Malik Willis

The things he shows on film translates to Sundays.  It's the transferability of his skillset.  He didn't spend a ton of time on Malik but he needs to go to the right team, and it's not us.  Even mentioned us directly as a team that's not viable for Malik (or any prospect for that matter..ouch)

2. Desmond Ridder 

He has the ability to run an offense, balanced approach to running and athleticism with NFL level throws.  Thinks the anticipation-based accuracy issues are still there despite the statistical improvement but he has clear potential & has some really nice throws on tape.  The Bama game didn't do him justice. 

3. Sam Howell

The 2020 film is great, top talent, the 2021, not so much.  Consistent, accurate, he has the tools.  He tried too hard to play hero ball behind a bad team.  Though it's hard to tell because the dip in performance is something to note regardless.  It doesn't place him at the top, but he still is a favorite due to the previous years' film.

4. Kenny Pickett

Doesn't have pop-out of the film talent.  He can create but doesn't have throws that show he can create a playoff type run.  Last year's improvement is notable, but he had great perimeter talent in a bad conference.  I.E. Pitt-UNC game that he barely won.  Just doesn't show that extra bit you see in top draft talent.

5 &6. Matt Corral & Carson Strong (JT puts them in the same bucket)

Corral: I'm surprised but I can see what he say-- He's "crafty", there's a place for him but he was in an offense that's not just RPO based, but had creative looks that gave him opportunities to show out.  And it's not like his numbers were even that eye-popping.  Had quick exits in A LOT of games due to small injuries.  Could be very successful in the right system but has not shown he can drop back, go through reads.  Put him in a quicker, stronger, faster NFL environment and there's pause.

Strong: Loves his arm talent (straight up "wow cannon throws".  Buuut---Injury or not, he had some serious footwork issues.  Hope it's injury-only based but the leg showed badly in film.  Impacts his ability to make standard moves in the pocket and power.

7. Bailey Zappe

It's going to take a special scenario for him to really amount to much.  Limited arm, lesser athleticism than the top.  

(He doesn't wish any of these guys to go to the Carolina Panthers lol, does not want them to suffer through it)

Edited by davos
  • Pie 6

41 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Oh man he slams us hard at about 4:40

People said the same thing about the Bills, Bengals, Raiders, Rams, Jags and the Dolphins when they were in QB purgatory. It's just the flow of the NFL media. 

We have the hottest seat in the NFL for HC's so we are going to be in the spotlight for worst team. It's the normal year after year story. We will be mixed back into the deck next year, and not in any media spotlight outside of "top pick" or "new HC" 

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 4

I get our HC isn't that good and is on the hot seat.  However, McAdoo has experience and is a decent OC, Campen is a great OL coach and we already added several pieces to our OL.  Moore, CMC (when healthy) are two top tier weapons.  Anderson is hot/cold average WR but not the worst number 2 option.  I don't see how we are the worst place for a young QB to go.  I get not wanting us to get Willis because he still needs a lot of work, but I think Howell/Corral can be fine here.  Most rookies don't light it up their rookie years anyway.  

• Pie 2

I saw a stat on NFL Network that soured me totally on Kenny Pickett---his completion percentage was great (70%+, I think, going from memory) when throwing from a clean pocket.  In the NFL there are not many clean pockets--but it dropped to 46% when he had pressure.

Deal breaker for me---Do not want.

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1

I think the best value in this draft will be Howell--based on his stock dropping in 2022 when his team was bad.  I think that was his worst, and we are comparing that to other QB's (Willis, Pickett, Ridder, and Corral) best years.  Some of you hate him because he played at UNC--and some love him for that reason---I am talking about the player, not some theory based on a shirt you bought at Walmart that you only wear after your team wins.

• Pie 7