• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam will get one more shot this year.

Jmac

Whatever, they are going to have to figure how to deal with their Sam issue. With one bad and known player they wasted so much draft and cap space.

I still don't think they roll with him tho even though they absolutely deserve that fate. They are desperate and there is too much bad in the mix to lead me to belive they won't fug up what they finally reveal as their post Watson vision.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I am not sure there is much built on defense, to be completely honest. Outside the CB's, most of which are relatively unproven, what unit is set? The safeties? Maybe? Not the DE's, which only really have Burns. The IDL? Not with Brown looking like a bust. The LB's? Outside Shaq, what else is there?

Our defense is actually mostly decent depth guys.

Wow you've gone negative..

1 DE? Brown a bust? CB unproven??

• Beer 1

29 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Wow you've gone negative..

1 DE? Brown a bust? CB unproven??

Not negative, just realistic. Name another impact DE on the roster outside of Burns.

Brown has been a bust to date. He isn't an elite pass rusher and he has been quite poor at run support. I was one of the fee to defend that pick but he isn't living up to being a top 10 pick. Not anywhere close.

CB's are unproven outside DJack. Name a single other proven commodity at CB currently on the roster.

That's precisely my point. This defense is largely a bunch of depth guys or unproven players. Horn is likely to pan out. Chinn is likely to pan out. Outside of that, who else?

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

5 hours ago, Chaos said:

Gotta make Rhule prove it with ‘his’ quarterback that he traded assets for, behind a rejuvenated line.  Dude can’t have a third quarterback in his third year coaching.  Win now or beat it.

Yup. Cut Cam, Had Teddy and paid for him to play for another team, wrecked our draft this year for Darnold while not taking Fields or Jones probably out of embarrassment. If he's worth anything he should have Darnold and CJ Henderson playing up to their draft positions, he asked for it. We're all miserable but in hindsight this is going to be worse than Chip Kelly bad as far as a complete waste of time

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

29 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Not negative, just realistic. Name another impact DE on the roster outside of Burns.

Brown has been a bust to date. He isn't an elite pass rusher and he has been quite poor at run support. I was one of the fee to defend that pick but he isn't living up to being a top 10 pick. Not anywhere close.

CB's are unproven outside DJack. Name a single other proven commodity at CB currently on the roster.

That's precisely my point. This defense is largely a bunch of depth guys or unproven players. Horn is likely to pan out. Chinn is likely to pan out. Outside of that, who else?

Realistic is this young defense was playing top 10 ranked football most of the season..

With better coaching (Wilkes, and Pascalil) on staff now they should be better..

Brown puts up similar to better numbers then Star and nobody called him a bust.. Add Idolnitiss to the interior now and you have a player who lead the league in interior pressure % 2 years ago.. 

YGM may not be a household name as a pass rusher but he definitely shown a strong ability at run stoppage.. If he can get past the minor injuries and get starter time I see a jump this season..

The secondary might be the strongest part of this team.. With Woods and Chinn backup by Burris you have 3 starting Safeties. .. The CB room is filled with a lot of young players who have been able to get starting playtime and should be stronger from that alone.. (Hartfield, Taylor, Westley, Henderson hell even Pride have gotten a chance to be thrown in the fire) now with wilkes back.. I don't see anything else but a big improvement this season..

Atleast we have more experience at LB then we had last season.. Hopefully they will add another player in a deep LB draft. 

I know you're trying to be realistic but if anything gives me hope it is this defense upward track...

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, WOW!! said:

Realistic is this young defense was playing top 10 ranked football most of the season..

With better coaching (Wilkes, and Pascalil) on staff now they should be better..

Brown puts up similar to better numbers then Star and nobody called him a bust.. Add Idolnitiss to the interior now and you have a player who lead the league in interior pressure % 2 years ago.. 

YGM may not be a household name as a pass rusher but he definitely shown a strong ability at run stoppage.. If he can get past the minor injuries and get starter time I see a jump this season..

The secondary might be the strongest part of this team.. With Woods and Chinn backup by Burris you have 3 starting Safeties. .. The CB room is filled with a lot of young players who have been able to get starting playtime and should be stronger from that alone.. (Hartfield, Taylor, Westley, Henderson hell even Pride have gotten a chance to be thrown in the fire) now with wilkes back.. I don't see anything else but a big improvement this season..

Atleast we have more experience at LB then we had last season.. Hopefully they will add another player in a deep LB draft. 

I know you're trying to be realistic but if anything gives me hope it is this defense upward track...

That top 10 stuff wasn't worth that much, IMO. 

Brown isn't nearly as stout a run stopper as Star. Not even in the same class. That's the issue. Brown generated better pocket pressure but he is very weak in run support. That's the massive disappointment.

YGM is a fine player but he's probably going to max out as a decent rotational guy. I have no issue with him but I don't think any of us expect him to develop into a serious pass rush threat. He's a role player and likely not a starter, at that. Hopefully he does develop but I can't say he is likely to become a core member of this team.

Pretty much all the rest of the guys you are talking about are journeymen or role players. I heard plenty say similar things about Jones or Fox but they just turned out to be mediocre. That's all fine and well but, again, I am saying that our core is extremely thin. 

I can't get excited about these offseaosn moves until some actually pan out. Honestly, what was the last free agency signing that really panned out other than Reddick?

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

10 hours ago, Jmac said:

Tepper invested the money and probably wants to get his dollars worth. We will see if this pays off. 

If we have learned anything over the past few weeks it’s that tepper is willing to walk away from a bad investment..

• Beer 1

11 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I can't see us intentionally rolling with Sam again. 

I think we make some panic move.

I don't believe we'll make a "panic" move.  I also don't believe we'll be trotting Darnold out as the intentional starter again. There's too much on the line. I think that whatever is done will be well-thought-out, and I believe different expectations--benchmarks--will be considered by Tepper as a result.

7 hours ago, Waldo said:

Whatever, they are going to have to figure how to deal with their Sam issue. With one bad and known player they wasted so much draft and cap space.

I still don't think they roll with him tho even though they absolutely deserve that fate. They are desperate and there is too much bad in the mix to lead me to belive they won't fug up what they finally reveal as their post Watson vision.

Tepper will have 10 different quarterbacks in 10 seasons. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

8 hours ago, rippadonn said:

Sam tried to be more than he was already and suffered that injury.

You have to be elite at something in the NFL as a QB. 

Well when Sam got here they where talking about his running ability.

He went and tried to get yards on his feet around physically superior athletes, that's absolutely nuts and got smashed.

Can run, not durable running. Needs to develop other talents instead. Is the IQ there? Is the accuracy there?!

Can he attain better accuracy at this point in his career he is career 59% completion percentage. That's pedestrian. Just good enough to not be special.

We as an organization need to turn the page at QB and put accuracy and ability to push the ball down the field over perceived athleticism that may not translate to durability against freek athlete hard hitting lightning fast gym rats.

We were spoiled by Cam. Not every QB should be running, not Sam. So what does Sam have left to show you? He's a career 59% thrower who is limited because he's not built for serious contact.

Sam's situation is exactly why you can't draft a QB as a runner. That's the RB. Draft a QB who is accurate and who takes care of the ball.

Playing Sam will most likely lower his value in a trade. I wouldn't do it. Play a rookie and try and deal Sam later when people forget about last season.

He is what he is. Borderline back up.

At this point though I don't think there is a worry about playing Sam in terms of hurting his value is there? He couldn't have any value left for a trade could he? I don't feel very confident that someone would even offer us a 6th round pick for him.

• Pie 2