• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers likely drafting a QB

Zod

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I just think his physical limitations are going to be too much to overcome. Great small college QB who was fun as hell to watch at that level but I just think the ball is in the air too long at the NFL level.

Same here.  I think it would be basically a wasted pick.  Keep building the line IMO.

I just dont see any way they can put together a package to get mid 2nd to grab a qb.  Robbie, next years 3rd and 4rth?   But lets be real thats not going to be enough.   Darnold is fuging us yet again

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Short to intermediate level accuracy is more valuable in our scheme than a big arm.

But you have to be able to threaten downfield. If the entire D is squatting on everything because they no you can't attack deep then there's no room to work underneath. There has to be the threat of attacking deep.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Paradis was coming off of a serious injury though. That was my big hang up on him.

I think his suckitude had less to do with his injury. I think he was just the product of being in a good unit.

The parallel with Bozeman being that a good team opted to NOT sign him, so I am not getting my hopes up about that move like others are. 

Maybe these guys will work out but we are batting an unbelievably low percentage for our offseason free agent signings under Fitt/Rhule, so color me extremely skeptical until proven otherwise.

• Poo 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

But you have to be able to threaten downfield. If the entire D is squatting on everything because they no you can't attack deep then there's no room to work underneath. There has to be the threat of attacking deep.

I'd agree, but some people's definition of "deep" is a little extreme.

You don't have to be able to throw it 50 or 60 yards.

1 hour ago, t96 said:

Note he said there's "absolutely a chance" it's a trade back in tonight for a Willis/Howell type, but also could be a day 3 prospect too.

Honesty after everything with the QB’s, I’m fine with Howell for the right price. But make no mistake, we do not need to be betting the farm on any of these guys.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think his suckitude had less to do with his injury. I think he was just the product of being in a good unit.

The parallel with Bozeman being that a good team opted to NOT sign him, so I am not getting my hopes up about that move like others are. 

Maybe these guys will work out but we are batting an unbelievably low percentage for our offseason free agent signings under Fitt/Rhule, so color me extremely skeptical until proven otherwise.

Oh, I think it had a LOT to do with the injury. He was a road grader in Denver. He noticeably lacked playing strength here. He was a different player. Like comparing Cam's arm before the Watt hit and after. It was dramatic.

Not just that but he was agile as hell. Look at this.

Paradis-Reach.gif

He simply could not physically do that after that hip injury. That was a gigantic hole and a big gain in Denver and it was all because of Paradis. CMC gets hit two yards behind the LOS here if we ask Paradis to attempt to replicate that.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

SMH. I don’t know why you guys are so optimistic about this. With pick 137 as our best pick, a QB in the 2nd basically means we lose our 2023 draft pick and that should be a non-starter. There’s an almost certainty that the QB we could get with next year’s first is a better talent than a QB we trade it for this year.

No way we trade next year's first for a 2nd rounder lol

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Fair to be skeptical, especially considering who's still running things.  But there was a clear effort to upgrade this line and they surprised me with who they brought in.  

I remember suggesting both Corbett and Bozeman before official FA started and was laughed at saying to look at the mid-level or low tier level guys.  Now to peg them as JAGs when they were perceived as two of the better FA IOLs available this offseason is something I'll go to bat for.  Corbett may have had the luxury of playing around all-pros, so that could be the Paradis effect, but that's not the case with Bozeman.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Oh, I think it had a LOT to do with the injury. He was a road grader in Denver. He noticeably lacked playing strength here. He was a different player. Like comparing Cam's arm before the Watt hit and after. It was dramatic.

Not just that but he was agile as hell. Look at this.

Paradis-Reach.gif

He simply could not physically do that after that hip injury. That was a gigantic hole and a big gain in Denver and it was all because of Paradis. CMC gets hit two yards behind the LOS here if we ask Paradis to attempt to replicate that.

He was still agile here but he was getting  ragdolled. IMO, he just wasn't used the same way as he was in Denver. He didn't really get worse as much as he wasn't set up for success here. 

Which is why I am not getting my hopes up for Bozeman. TBD if he is actually any good.

25 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Fitterer doesn't strike me as a guy who cares about "excitement".

He wants to build a winning foundation, and he's talked about how to do that.

Tepper does.   End of the day it is the entertainement business.  And Carolina does have a PR issue and excitement issue right now.  

Which is why I have always felt confident they wouldn't be able to just walk away from this draft with just 1 pick in 3 rounds.  They got nothing to sell the fans.  Nothing.  No hope.  Everything in that building knows how they are viewed.   And we know they know.  

Smartest move IMO isn't mortaging future picks (with potentitally a HC that might not see another year) to grab a QB in a weak class.   Carolina says a lot of stuff.  There actions to date haven't been the team that wants to slowly and traditionally build this thing from the ground up.