• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The flaw in the following thinking

Centerfield

I think the best situation is what Rhule has already said will happen. Its an open competition. Darnold should win that. 

If Darnold sucks and we finish bottom 5 we are drafting another QB next year for our new head coach.
If Darnold pays mediocre then Corral is again in competition with Darnold.  

I am still bullish on Darnold. I think him having competition will actually push him to be better. He is still young and has all the tools. 

Who is at QB doesn't matter to me as long as they earned that spot. 

48 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

I think the best situation is what Rhule has already said will happen. Its an open competition. Darnold should win that. 

If Darnold sucks and we finish bottom 5 we are drafting another QB next year for our new head coach.
If Darnold pays mediocre then Corral is again in competition with Darnold.  

I am still bullish on Darnold. I think him having competition will actually push him to be better. He is still young and has all the tools. 

Who is at QB doesn't matter to me as long as they earned that spot. 

I don’t think it will be an open competition. And I’m okay with that.  I don’t want them to throw Matt out there to start the year off.  

Sam is going to be defaulted into the starting job.  And I suspect Rhule will handle him very similar to last offseason/preseason.   Largely keep him out of sight and focus on him checking down.  

because If you make it a real competition it means exposing all your QBs to real completion and scenarios.  And Matt likely won’t be ready right away and Sam will look bad because he always looks bad when you asked him to be a NFL QB whose hands aren’t tied down.  And you don’t want to go into a season with Sam imploding and still have to start him

Matt will start when BOA tells Matt Rhule what to do.  

The boos were impactful last year.  I suspect they will be this year too. All will come down to how long Sam can keep the crowd off him.