• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Waldman Film Room: Matt Corral

The discussion on his pump fake was interesting.  I never gave it much thought, but watching the film...Corral sells me sometimes and I find myself looking downfield for the catch and he hasn't thrown the ball yet.  Multiple times he has linebackers and lineman floating helplessly in the air from those fakes.  That should help with his height.

I question his deep ball accuracy and his ability to process the field - Kiffin made things very simple for him with that (S)RPO offence.

That said, for a third rounder it's a great pick. Sit him, let Ryan and McAdoo develop him and see what you've got later in the season. No need to rush him. 

• Pie 3

38 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I question his deep ball accuracy and his ability to process the field - Kiffin made things very simple for him with that (S)RPO offence.

That said, for a third rounder it's a great pick. Sit him, let Ryan and McAdoo develop him and see what you've got later in the season. No need to rush him. 

It's really hard to determine how well he can read the field if he wasn't asked to in Kiffins scheme, sometimes it just clicks with guys and sometimes you get a Darnold who just can't process fast enough. It'll be interesting because they are both getting the same install pretty much at the same time. 

On 5/2/2022 at 11:27 PM, GOAT said:

I'm really excited about this kid I see tons of Mahomes in him.

There is definitely some of that when he is at his best

Doing RPO at the level he did isn’t easy btw

Edited by Shocker
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

It's really hard to determine how well he can read the field if he wasn't asked to in Kiffins scheme, sometimes it just clicks with guys and sometimes you get a Darnold who just can't process fast enough. It'll be interesting because they are both getting the same install pretty much at the same time. 

Yeah but he showed more processing in three of his allotted QB reading throws per game than Darnold has ever shown in a single college or NFL game.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, thunderraiden said:

Yeah but he showed more processing in three of his allotted QB reading throws per game than Darnold has ever shown in a single college or NFL game.

Oh yeah,  give him a 2nd read, NFL receivers, and MC checkdown, and I'm not worried about the processing at all. He's also super comfortable in the pocket. The pump fakes are maybe my favorite thing currently, theres some nasty ones on film, almost like NBA crossover kinda stuff. Only real knock I can see is his mechanics get lazy when he starts scrambling and that's where his accuracy gets kinda funky

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

Kiffin is a brilliant College OC.

It's cause and effect for me. Did he install the (S)RPO because that's simply what Corral ran best and was most comfortable with? Or did he install it because that's all he could process?

For what it's worth, Kiffin loves him, so I'm hoping it's the first one. 

• Beer 1