• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The 2022 Quarterback Slide

Mr. Scot

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

They had to have valued someone if they entertained the idea in the first place.

What derailed them was the additional cost of trading up that far.

From the article...

“I had the card in my hand, and he looks at me and says, What do you want to do?” Fitterer said. “And we both just kind of took a moment, and we looked at the board, and we decided the right thing to do was to be patient. Let’s not overpay. Let’s be smart about this. Let’s not dig ourselves in a hole for next year. Let’s inch back on trading with these quarterbacks.”

At that point, he, Rhule and the group resolved to wait a little longer and, since they had enough conviction on a couple of the guys left, take another look when another quarterback came off the board.

It didn’t happen for a while. But eventually, 10 picks into the third round, the Falcons pulled Cincinnati’s Desmond Ridder off the board. Twelve picks after that, the Titans drafted Liberty’s Malik Willis. And, stunned again by how guys at a certain position fell, the Panthers got aggressive and started making calls—very comfortable with the idea of taking either Ole Miss’s Matt Corral or North Carolina’s Sam Howell.

I'm off to shag Katherine Langford. I'm just waiting for her to return my call.

10 minutes ago, davos said:

Brugler & the SEA Athletic writer had reported before the draft that Carrol and Schneider are in on Lock and believe they're contending.  Apparently it is true

Possible. Can't say I agree but hey, we believed in Darnold.

3 minutes ago, Darknight said:

I think Seattle's plan is to draft a QB next draft. That's the only thing that make sense to me.

Also possible, but it's not like Carroll is getting any younger (he's 70 if I remember correctly).

I’m confused and look forward to finding out why Howell slid so far. It was puzzling. I’m sure he would have came back to school if he knew this was going to happen, even if that meant one of the blue chip elite prospects we have at QB were to transfer. 

but Sam will get to redshirt a couple years in the NFL and not get his brains bashed in for Washington. We will see if the scouts were right. 

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

2 out of 32.   I like those odds

For clarity, there's 8 of 32 starting QBs that were post-R1 with 1-3 with unsure futures.  

Derek Carr, Mills, Hurts, Cousins, Lock, & Brady (clear outlier)  

I'd say the Carr curve is still in effect.  If your QB is better than Derek Carr, you're in a good spot.  If not, you need to keep looking.

• Pie 1

Those of us who follow the draft had said for months this was a very weak QB class.  The 1st round predictions form the media talking heads were based off teams like...oh, let's say the Panthers getting super desperate and taking one of the guys.  Goes to show even the perceived "desperate" teams knew this class wasn't worth the 1st round gamble.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Teams (besides us) that were expected / predicted / mocked to take a QB in this draft:

- Lions (nobody took that too seriously)
- Falcons
- Seahawks
- Steelers (they did)
- Saints (by a few)
- Vikings (same)

Am I missing anyone?

Here's who PFF is thinking will draft one early next year.

6 minutes ago, rmoneyg35 said:

Dak Prescott and Russell Wilson are proof you can find a franchise Qb in the 3rd/4th rounds. 

Exception to the rule.  By that token you should shop for franchise QBs in 6th round because of Tom Brady.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

2 out of 32.   I like those odds

Brady was drafted in the 6th round, Kirk cousins 4th round, Nick Foles 3rd round, Carr drafted in the 2nd round. You can find a starting qb in later rounds. Plenty of first round qbs have been busts.

4 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Here's who PFF is thinking will draft one early next year.

the 2023 QB picture is going to look a lot different next April than it does today. 

Just look at who was projected to win the Heisman at the start of last season.  college football is often a wild ride. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Possible. Can't say I agree but hey, we believed in Darnold.

Also possible, but it's not like Carroll is getting any younger (he's 70 if I remember correctly).

If you think about this logically, that's the only thing that make sense. They are basically saying this season is a wash without actually saying it. Drew Locke? Really?

I may be hard to believe but that is the only thing that make sense to me. They are getting their QB next year.

• Poo 1