• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nick Foles

Cdparr7

Foles is a good guy and I think would be a fantastic locker room presence.  But would i want any part of him on the field?  Playing?  ABSOLUTELY NOT.  Don't know if you got to see him much the last couple of years since the Superbowl win, but he has looked horrible.  He is immobile, slow to average release, and he can't get out of harm's way even with adequate protection.

Sam should be cut regardless.  He will not ever be more than what he has shown he is.  Period.  But Foles is not the guy to come in and take his spot.

• Pie 1

If it was me I throw Corral right into the fire so we know if we need to make draft moves to get one of the top QBs next year. We got lucky with the BC/Ickey thing, but for QB would really prefer to know if we have our guy going into the next draft. 

• Poo 1

Let's face it, the Panthers are a little shy of being a playoff team in 2022 so throwing money that will be needed later to develop the team on a QB that may or may not be slightly better than Sam will be a waste of resources.

Since the team is stuck with Sam they need to ride out the last year of his contract while Corral develops then regroup and hope the past mistakes the Panthers management made  will serve as a lesson and the team can move forward.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Why keep Darnold? Trade him for pennies on the dollar, or outright release him. It's a sunk cost either way, why keep him around if you KNOW he isn't the long term answer?

This is the big question? Darnold is on the books no matter what (stupid guaranteed 5th year option). I think that makes him hard for this staff to cut. It'd be almost as bad as paying your QB to play somewhere else--wait we have done that...Anyway if the staff thinks he has any value (maybe as a backup even) then they will keep him most likely. If we pickup another veteran then his days are numbered I'd suspect.

Edited by Michael G
  • Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Michael G said:

This is the big question? Darnold is on the books no matter what (stupid guaranteed 5th year option). I think that makes him hard for this staff to cut. It'd be almost as bad as paying your QB to play somewhere else--wait we have done that...Anyway if the staff thinks he has any value (maybe as a backup even) then they will keep him most likely. If we pickup another veteran then his days are numbered I'd suspect.

My question is, who gives you a better shot at winning more games this year - Darnold, or Foles?

Foles isn't a world beater by any stretch of the imagination, but he's at least competent. Plus he's cheap. 

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Foles isn't a world beater by any stretch of the imagination, but he's at least competent. Plus he's cheap. 

He is cheap but he's still more than just keeping Darnold cost-wise. Is the difference in wins and losses enough to matter? Is his locker-room presence enough? I think if Foles was a guy who they thought could get them to the playoffs then they'd jump at him (or anyone else available that could maybe do that). If a playoff caliber QB is not available I think they are willing to ride and die with Darnold.

29 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Foles is a good guy and I think would be a fantastic locker room presence.  But would i want any part of him on the field?  Playing?  ABSOLUTELY NOT.  Don't know if you got to see him much the last couple of years since the Superbowl win, but he has looked horrible.  He is immobile, slow to average release, and he can't get out of harm's way even with adequate protection.

Sam should be cut regardless.  He will not ever be more than what he has shown he is.  Period.  But Foles is not the guy to come in and take his spot.

The options are all flawed some more than others. It's either cave to the draft compensation demands of the Niners or Browns for Jimmy/Baker or either the worst starting quarterback in the NFL the last two seasons or a run of the mill veteran. At the end of the day out of all options involved Sam "you're just a fan go strap up bud" Darnold is the last person we want teaching a young QB anything.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Snake said:

Darnald=Foles at this point in his career. 

Foles Mayfield and Garoppolo for all their flaws have all had a winning record and started in the postseason before. In Sam Darnold's mind he has already arrived despite his status around the league.

28 minutes ago, frankw said:

Foles Mayfield and Garoppolo for all their flaws have all had a winning record and started in the postseason before. In Sam Darnold's mind he has already arrived despite his status around the league.

None of those guys are worth their price. Hell Darnald is proof why those guys are just not good enough. 

A number of folks act like they really want to win something this year.  We're just not ready.

The best we can do is keep/start Darnold.  Let the OL gel.  Replace Darnold with Corral around mid-year.  Win 6-7 games total.  Secure that top 10 again.  And grab a stud WR in the draft.

Corral will learn from Darnold (mistakes and all), his coaches, seeing the game up close, reps in practice, and eventually on-the-field.  The thought of bringing in some retread for Corral to "learn from" is just crazy talk.