• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

They let us get this man in the third round. Don't forget 2020 tape.

thunderraiden

24 minutes ago, RJK said:

I feel bad for this kid. The expectations are crazy and he’s just not physically gifted enough to live up to them. 

Give him an NFL training program and 5 pounds of muscle and more arm strength, if he is able to pick up an NFL playbook is the only question I have about him. I think if he can learn the playbook in time he could be dangerous but that playbook is a big hurdle to climb.

• Beer 2

54 minutes ago, RJK said:

I feel bad for this kid. The expectations are crazy and he’s just not physically gifted enough to live up to them. 

He's got it easier than Zach Wilson or Lawrence did last year, no one in the stadium is going to boo him if he actually plays and struggles like they'd boo Darnold or whoever. He's 23 years old and the same height/10 pounds lighter than Aaron Rodgers, bigger than Brees, almost exact same size at Jake, etc..NFL media won't even mention his name unless he wins a game. Pickett is gonna get the scrutiny this year, followed by Ridder

• Pie 2

9 hours ago, Jesse said:

The biggest, absolute thing NFL coaches need from a QB is leadership, ability to stay looking downfield and pocket presence. Those are tough, if not impossible to coach. Just looking at that film shows Corral has those traits. 

I also enjoy his ability to throw people open and not always laser it in to receivers who are only 3 yards down the field unlike Cam had a bad habit of. 

The touch looks way beyond Cam’s ability. That was always super frustrating to watch.

• Pie 1

I like Corral a lot.  He has good footwork and pocket movement, a quick release, good zip on his throws and seems to make quick decisions.  I have seen some games where he just tosses the ball up though.  But the real question I have is if he can be as successful outside of Lane Kiffin's offense.  I think so and I hope so, but need to see him on the field before I'm sold.

2 hours ago, Malt Liquor said:

Another thing people are failing to realize about Corral is he played in the SEC on a team with zero weapons, and he still showed out. I'm telling y'all if he master the playbook the sky is the limit for this kid.

Also, he stayed in a shootout, without weapons, with a Bama team that had 2 WR's, a QB, a RB, and 3 O-linemen (and a CB that I wanted instead of Horn, hope I was wrong) go in the top 37 of the 2021 draft. FYI, Evan Neal was the "other" lineman on that squad.

Alabama Draft Recap

Player Pick Team
Jaylen Waddle 6 Miami Dolphins
Patrick Surtain II 9 Denver Broncos
DeVonta Smith 10 Philadelphia Eagles
Mac Jones 15 New England Patriots
Alex Leatherwood 17 Las Vegas Raiders
Najee Harris 24 Pittsburgh Steelers
Landon Dickerson 37 Philadelphia Eagles
Christian Barmore 38 New England Patriots
Deonte Brown 193 Carolina Panthers
Thomas Fletcher 222 Carolina Panthers

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

10 hours ago, Pimpdaddy said:

...yea...he looks great...will we have patients with his development or call for his head the second game he loses... would you stick with him for 4 years while he gets his wings? I love the kid but 3rd rounders dont usually prosper...

I don't think the NFL is set up for a QB to succeed in the 3rd round, which really is quite unfortunate.

Imagine this scenario: The team has another bad year and things go south once again.  Matt gets some playing time around the middle or the last quarter of the year. Let's say he plays ok, but not spectacular. Tepper decides to hire a new coach and we end up picking in the top 10 again. This draft is supposedly going to have a good class of QB's. There would be a lot of pundits (and fans) saying that we should take a 1st round QB in 2023...and maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing. A new QB deserves to have the guy he wants at the QB because his success will ultimately depend on the guy taking the snaps.

If we did get a QB, any chance of Matt ever becoming a franchise QB is all but gone. The team would have a lot more invested in the 1st rounder and would get him on the field ASAP, even if Matt is better. Corrall would probably at best end a journeyman QB or even out of the league of years. People would be saying "3rd round QB's don't make it big in the NFL". That may be true, but it isn't always based on talent. I think more teams are willing to give 1st rounders more chances to prove themselves than the lower round draft choices.  

• Pie 1

50 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

Also, he stayed in a shootout, without weapons, with a Bama team that had 2 WR's, a QB, a RB, and 3 O-linemen (and a CB that I wanted instead of Horn, hope I was wrong) go in the top 37 of the 2021 draft. FYI, Evan Neal was the "other" lineman on that squad.

Alabama Draft Recap

Player Pick Team
Jaylen Waddle 6 Miami Dolphins
Patrick Surtain II 9 Denver Broncos
DeVonta Smith 10 Philadelphia Eagles
Mac Jones 15 New England Patriots
Alex Leatherwood 17 Las Vegas Raiders
Najee Harris 24 Pittsburgh Steelers
Landon Dickerson 37 Philadelphia Eagles
Christian Barmore 38 New England Patriots
Deonte Brown 193 Carolina Panthers
Thomas Fletcher 222 Carolina Panthers

I saw a video of Corral highlights on YouTube. A BAMA guy was commenting. He said he was glad to see Matt leave Ole Miss because the BAMA defense had a hard time dealing with him. He felt Matt was the best QB they've face that past two seasons and has the tools to be a solid NFL QB.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, SCO96 said:

I don't think the NFL is set up for a QB to succeed in the 3rd round, which really is quite unfortunate.

Imagine this scenario: The team has another bad year and things go south once again.  Matt gets some playing time around the middle or the last quarter of the year. Let's say he plays ok, but not spectacular. Tepper decides to hire a new coach and we end up picking in the top 10 again. This draft is supposedly going to have a good class of QB's. There would be a lot of pundits (and fans) saying that we should take a 1st round QB in 2023...and maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing. A new QB deserves to have the guy he wants at the QB because his success will ultimately depend on the guy taking the snaps.

If we did get a QB, any chance of Matt ever becoming a franchise QB is all but gone. The team would have a lot more invested in the 1st rounder and would get him on the field ASAP, even if Matt is better. Corrall would probably at best end a journeyman QB or even out of the league of years. People would be saying "3rd round QB's don't make it big in the NFL". That may be true, but it isn't always based on talent. I think more teams are willing to give 1st rounders more chances to prove themselves than the lower round draft choices.  

hope he gets a fair shot and can capitalize on it...

The Biggest Challenge for Corral will be the fact that he has never done anything under center. IMO in order to be a super bowl caliber QB you need to know how to throw from under center in the NFL. Getting the foot work down, getting enough repetition where it becomes muscle memory will take some time. 

Just looking at Corral and Darnold standing side by side, Corral looks very undersized. You throw him out there too early, without the ability to play under center, he will eventually get hurt relying on read options plays in the NFL

• Pie 1

On 7/1/2022 at 1:39 PM, SammyFranchise said:

The Biggest Challenge for Corral will be the fact that he has never done anything under center. IMO in order to be a super bowl caliber QB you need to know how to throw from under center in the NFL. Getting the foot work down, getting enough repetition where it becomes muscle memory will take some time. 

Just looking at Corral and Darnold standing side by side, Corral looks very undersized. You throw him out there too early, without the ability to play under center, he will eventually get hurt relying on read options plays in the NFL

Have you seen the last few teams that won the SB..."under center" isn't really a thing like that anymore. 

Teams operate primarily from the gun, you simply need a top QB period, had nothing to do with under center. 

• Beer 1

51 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Have you seen the last few teams that won the SB..."under center" isn't really a thing like that anymore. 

Teams operate primarily from the gun, you simply need a top QB period, had nothing to do with under center. 

I was watching Eli's highlights from the McAdoo years in NY and it's like 80% shotgun unless it's a short yardage/goal line situation, and that was like 8 years ago. Under center doesn't matter, it's reading the defense and getting the call in on time. 

• Pie 2