• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Mayfield is a Carolina Panther

uncfan888

1 minute ago, CanadianCat said:

This is a zero risk move. If he sucks, next year he's gone and we are drafting a QB. 

Some of oyu are mad that the team is trying to get better... but there has always been a large 'cheer for losses' group here.. 

Spoiler alert:  We literally just drafted a qb

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, trueblade said:

I understand this. From a long term perspective though, it wasn't the best move to make. You're going to lack key data to make some really important decisions next offseason.

Im assuming your thinking about Corral. It's best if he doesnt play right now anyway. His best chance to make it in the NFL is for the team to win, Rhule to stay as the coach and him to grow in the the back up position. 

Rhule gets fired, Corral probably gets dumped by the new staff. 

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

holy poo, 2 or 3 games.  Wow, you mean just like with Brady christenson.  That worked out aces

There is always going to be a difference in a third rounder and a top 5 overall player.   Some gems definitely show up but you take Ikem even if BC played solid at lt all last season. 

11 minutes ago, trueblade said:

There's only so much you can do with "mental reps." You need full speed, game speed reps against a team that spent all week preparing for you. 

Not as a third round rookie you dont.  As a third round rookie coming out of a gimmick offense you need all the mental reps and time with the playbook you can get before you're thrown out there.

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, shaq said:

There’s nothing wrong with a 3rd round rookie QB riding the bench for a year.

Seriously.  Just consider this Corral's NFL red shirt year.  Apparently hes got a long way to go on the mental side of the NFL game, which it totally to be expected.  Let him develop, bring him along slowly.  Personally I love this move.  We might actually be watchable again for the first time in a while.  And Week 1 should be very entertaining considering we have Cleveland coming to Charlotte. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Call Me James said:

Because we wouldn't draft a QB in the off season if baker isn't good and go into next year with only Corral under contract? 

Let's be sensible here.

We were literally negotiating this trade at the time we drafted Corral.

You have an immediate starter on a one-year deal for minimal cash and a rookie who gets to sit back and learn.

Speaking as someone who cares neither for Baker Mayfield nor Matt Rhule, I can objectively say that's not a bad arrangement.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • The D 1

2 minutes ago, Mistuh Jones said:

Patrick Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers off the top of my head

Ill give you rodgers but no way on mahomes, there were articles his rookie year about how he was destroying the practices and making the vets lose their mind.  He could have started week 1

and then again AR had some of the best coaching/qb coaching there ever was.  I dont see rhule and co in that same regard

Edited by mrcompletely11
  • Poo 1

26 minutes ago, The Natural said:

That's a little premature don't you think? Baker is a rental to give Corral time to adjust and develop to the NFL. 

He'd have the same amount of time being the backup to Darnold. 

But all of these arguments operate under the assumption that Mayfield is going to be bad. 

If you think he's going to be bad then there's no reason to like the trade. If you don't think he's going to be bad then you wasted a pick on Corral 

• Pie 1