• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers are gonna shock the world!

joemac

3 hours ago, poundaway said:

The deal wouldn't close until the Browns let us talk to Baker. 

What could  possibly be said that would convince Baker to come here?

I think we're going air raid.  Pass first/ west coast/ balls out.  I think they told him he's QB1 (surprise) and we are NOT going to be run first.  We pointed out our deep threat receivers and that McAdoo's O in NY was very pass heavy and that they will design the O around Mayfield.  It preserves CMC and our opponents will have to pass to stay in the game.  Mayfield wants to throw more and McAdoo knows how to design a passing offense.  He'll have a chance to throw well over 4000 yards.  If the plan succeeds, his market value is through the roof.

Just spitballing.

We promised him a contract if he played well. Pretty simple

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

We promised him a contract if he played well. Pretty simple

Ultimately, that is what it boils down to for Mayfield, and we may not have even promised him that. 

He wants to start and set himself up for the big $ after his 5th year is done......potentially here but anywhere.

On 7/7/2022 at 9:56 PM, PootieNunu said:

So Baker has a career year with  a worse team than he has been on for the past couple of years. 

I think its more like 59% comp, 3200 yards, 17 TDs, 13 ints,7-10, if he gets to start the whole year. 

On the flip side, why do you think he is going to get 10 fewer TD's in 17 games than he did in 13.5 as a rookie?

He had 3700 yards and 27 TDs in 13.5 games his rookie year.  Extrapolated for a full year that's 4600 yards and 34 TD.  OP's 4200 and 31 is not out of the realm of possibility, though it seems unlikely.  I agree he will probably be south of that.

The production really is going to be determined by his health and whether we are going to pass more.

Mcadoo ran a very pass heavy O.  Stefanski didn't and the Panthers don't normally pass that much.

I would love to see a pass heavy O with someone who can sling that rock.

• Pie 1

On 7/7/2022 at 6:30 PM, mrcompletely11 said:

Vegas has us at 6 wins.   Go make some money if you believe that.   Sure it can happen but Vegas is Vegas and tends to be right way more then they are wrong.   Making the playoffs means we have to absolutely blow the Vegas expectations out of the water.  I mean it could happen but come on……..….

The more I read your posts, the more I realize you just don't give a damn of knowing anything you say. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

The Panthers did not offer a long-term contract and Baker was not in position to ask for one--

If he plays well, the thing to do is tag him for a season before investing in him. At that point, he will be 29 and we should know what we have.

I am hoping that Corral develops this season and we can move on--giving us 3 years with a QB on a rookie deal.  If Baker plays well, it is a good problem to have.

• Beer 1

The promising him a long term deal was completely fabricated unless someone can provide some valid source stating that. It’s pretty simple IMO. He probably discussed what kind of offense we are running and he chances of becoming the starter. If he plays well as a starting QB in the league, someone will offer him a nice contract. QBs are too hard to come by. His destiny is in his own hands which is how he seems to like it. 

11 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

The Panthers did not offer a long-term contract and Baker was not in position to ask for one--

If he plays well, the thing to do is tag him for a season before investing in him. At that point, he will be 29 and we should know what we have.

I am hoping that Corral develops this season and we can move on--giving us 3 years with a QB on a rookie deal.  If Baker plays well, it is a good problem to have.

Yeah, unless Baker ends up having a top 5 performance in 2022, it isn't going to make sense to sign him immediately to a long term deal. 

I'm okay with having a difficult decision to make if he does have a good season though. Better than the alternative that we were staring at.

• Pie 2

On 7/9/2022 at 8:55 AM, poundaway said:

The deal wouldn't close until the Browns let us talk to Baker. 

What could  possibly be said that would convince Baker to come here?

I think we're going air raid.  Pass first/ west coast/ balls out.  I think they told him he's QB1 (surprise) and we are NOT going to be run first.  We pointed out our deep threat receivers and that McAdoo's O in NY was very pass heavy and that they will design the O around Mayfield.  It preserves CMC and our opponents will have to pass to stay in the game.  Mayfield wants to throw more and McAdoo knows how to design a passing offense.  He'll have a chance to throw well over 4000 yards.  If the plan succeeds, his market value is through the roof.

Just spitballing.

Could be, but Baker has been one the best play action/deep ball passers in the league over his 4 years. Those videos by Kurt Warner posted yesterday detail that. However I think what you suggest could work. Bakers got the skills to kill teams deep, especially with the threat of a dump off to CMC there every play. Our O could be very interesting this year. McAdoo, for all the strife he got as a HC, was a VERY productive OC with NY.

• Pie 2

18 hours ago, poundaway said:

On the flip side, why do you think he is going to get 10 fewer TD's in 17 games than he did in 13.5 as a rookie?

He had 3700 yards and 27 TDs in 13.5 games his rookie year.  Extrapolated for a full year that's 4600 yards and 34 TD.  OP's 4200 and 31 is not out of the realm of possibility, though it seems unlikely.  I agree he will probably be south of that.

The production really is going to be determined by his health and whether we are going to pass more.

Mcadoo ran a very pass heavy O.  Stefanski didn't and the Panthers don't normally pass that much.

I would love to see a pass heavy O with someone who can sling that rock.

Mainly because Rhule wants to run the ball and we have never scored a high number of TD passes in our history. We have thrown 30+ TD passes only twice in our teams history. 

I dont see Baker coming in and changing our philosophy. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, PootieNunu said:

Mainly because Rhule wants to run the ball and we have never scored a high number of TD passes in our history. We have thrown 30+ TD passes only twice in our teams history. 

I dont see Baker coming in and changing our philosophy. 

Maybe.  I'm guess I'm just excited for a top 10 accurate deep ball.  Some analysts believe Baker can't handle that volume.  That it takes to much out him, which is why he did well in the balanced attack Stefanski ran.

https://stormininnorman.com/2022/07/07/carolina-panther-acquire-former-sooner-star-qb-baker-mayfield/

How does Mayfield fit with the Carolina scheme?

Carolina offensive coordinator Ben Mcadoo runs an offense that resembles the West Coast system, which also adds in tons of run-pass-option and other modern wrinkles. He also loves to dial-up well-timed deep-ball opportunities. He employs mostly three-step drop and quick release for a QB. This means a lot of pre-snap answers, and quick post-snap reads. This fits great for Baker Mayfield, who is at his best when he can flip it and rip it. He has a quick release and a strong arm.

This system is the best fit for Mayfield on paper than any system he has played under since entering the NFL. Better yet, the personnel when it comes to catching the ball is also vastly improved. Mayfield will finally get a WR1, that he never had in Cleveland with WR D.J. Moore and a deep threat and true WR2 in Robby Anderson. Mayfield had Jarvis Landry and mismatched parts to throw to in Cleveland. Odell Beckham was often injured and was also clearly no longer the player he once was in New York.

Mayfield during his career has thrived in 11-personnel, which will be the common grouping for the Panthers, and when you add in the pass-catching ability of RB Christian McCaffery, there will be easier passes to complete in this system that has a chance for quality value.

It is also worth noting McAdoo was the offensive coordinator for the Giants when future Hall of Fame QB Eli Manning threw 30 or more TDs two the three times in his career.

Final thoughts

The saga is finally over, and Mayfield will have an opportunity to continue his career as an NFL QB. Mayfield appeared to be ascending before a torn labrum among other injuries derailed his 2021 season. The Browns were punished from a value perspective waiting as long as they did to make the move, and the Panthers get the 2017 Heisman winner for basically a four-piece chicken nugget happy meal.

Mayfield is now the odds-on favorite to win comeback player of the year in the NFL, and a playoff berth should be the expectation now for the Panthers who have a solid, young roster.

• Pie 1