• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Help me, I'm feeling optimistic.

Zod

31 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I can't speak for you, but the notion that we should be excited about a bunch of guys who gave up and quit last year being a lot better going into this year... Isn't one that I find especially logical 😕

I don't believe that they made up their minds to quit, I just think that it's more difficult mentally to stay dialed-in when the season is essentially over. In December, and especially January, you're not going to be as focused as in September if you're not really playing for anything. Moreover, Donte was hurt, Horn was hurt. Chinn was essentially playing out of position. Henderson was still green and uncomfortable. I am Older vets were probably trying not to get hurt and looking towards their next contracts and legit opportunity. Yes, some of our best guys weren't even on the field outside of the beginning of the season. We had to lean on backup level talent due to injuries. We have some talented new young players, and a decent vet at a key position in Xavier Woods. Sure, our DTs may be a problem, but if we can just be mediocre, we should be better than last season. So quash that logic if you want, but there are still reasons to be intrigued if not a little (just a little) optimistic.And I wouldn't say is about logic as much as it's about rationale.

Edited by top dawg

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I don't believe that they made up their minds to quit, I just think that it's more difficult mentally to stay dialed-in when the season is essentially over. In December, and especially January, you're not going to be as focused as in September if you're not really playing for anything. Moreover, Donte was hurt, Horn was hurt. Chinn was essentially playing out of position. Henderson was still green and uncomfortable. I am Older vets were probably trying not to get hurt and looking towards their next contracts and legit opportunity. Yes, some of our best guys weren't even on the field outside of the beginning of the season. We had to lean on backup level talent due to injuries. We have some talented new young players, and a decent vet at a key position in Xavier Woods. Sure, our DTs may be a problem, but if we can just be mediocre, we should be better than last season. So quash that logic if you want, but there are still reasons to be intrigued if not a little (just a little) optimistic.

Talented players? Sure. We had that last year too.

What we didn't have was a DC who could effectively counter pro-style adjustments by opposing offenses.

We still don't.

Snow might get more help from guys like Steve Wilks this year but I think he's in over his head...just like his boss.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

What we didn't have was a DC who could effectively counter pro-style adjustments by opposing offenses.

We still don't.

Snow might get more help from guys like Steve Wilks this year but I think he's in over his head...just like his boss.

Well, I can't say that you're wrong, but I hope that you are. But if you're not, there will be substantive changes next year.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We still don't.

He's 66, don't think much is gonna change up stairs for him at this point. Wilks is a good secondary coach but when he was DC he just blitzed like 80% of the time right? 

1 minute ago, Jackie Lee said:

He's 66, don't think much is gonna change up stairs for him at this point. Wilks is a good secondary coach but when he was DC he just blitzed like 80% of the time right? 

Something like that...

I think we can all agree though that Snow isn't going anywhere unless Rhule is fired first.

If Wilks were elevated to interim head coach, Al Holcomb (currently listed as assistant head coach for defense) probably gets the DC job.

3 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

I think ppl here will be shocked how good this defense looks with a healthy secondary..

They have talent, but CJ Henderson really needs to show something this year.  Providing Horn lives up to expectations, he and DJax should be a nice 1 and 2 plus Woods will free up Chinn.  I think the concern is the run defense.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

They have talent, but CJ Henderson really needs to show something this year.  Providing Horn lives up to expectations, he and DJax should be a nice 1 and 2 plus Woods will free up Chinn.  I think the concern is the run defense.

Not just CJ part.. Keith Taylor, Myles Hartfield and Westerly . They got starting quality depth at CB and safety and Wilkes coaching is a major up grade..

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Not just CJ part.. Keith Taylor, Myles Hartfield and Westerly . They got starting quality depth at CB and safety and Wilkes coaching is a major up grade..

Wilks is legit! That was our low key best staff hire outside of maybe Campen… 

• Pie 1

It's much needed......I cannot believe trading for Baker put a halt to the constant crying crew. 

It's ok zob, with alittle luck this team can challenge for a late season playoff spot. No matter the god dam head coach or whichever young QB wins the job. Special teams, defensive, and rebuilt OL along with new NFL coaches......it's possible.

Add in a fullly healthy CMC, Moore, and a breakout Chinn&burns year....who knows then, playoffs could just be the start of a new cardiac cats!!!

Edited by Basbear

5 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

CJ has been horrible for us and Jax.  I'm not optimistic there.

Edited by poundaway

1 hour ago, poundaway said:

CJ has been horrible for us and Jax.  I'm not optimistic there.

He was bad with Urban Meyer. Came to us recovering from an injury last year. I’m at least intrigued to see what Wilks can do with him. Taylor flashed enough last year to be a nice insurance policy. 

• Pie 1