• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article on why we should cut Darnold….am I wrong for being against this??

WarPanthers89

6 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Given that both Mayfield and Darnold were injured and missed games last year it makes no sense to get rid of Darnold.  As a backup he is serviceable and honestly with as many QBs that go down every year there may be some sense in keeping 2 or even 3 on the roster given how important the position is as long as you can fit it under the cap.

Here's your "serviceable backup".

Get a good look at him.

14 minutes ago, CRA said:

problem w/ the Sam as a backup thing.....is he is the polar opposite of what you look for in backup.   Corral fits because he is young and developmental.  For a vet, you would prefer a Teddy type as a backup.  Sam is a timebomb.   A game imploder. 

If Corral isn't ready to start then he isn't ready to be a backup it is just that simple.

7 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Old news. At least show him screwing up this year. It shouldn't take long.

Hey panthers55. When you type stuff up like this just remember you are more delusional than an average Jets fan. Even they believed their eyes and ears and declared your boy a lost cause.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

If Corral isn't ready to start then he isn't ready to be a backup it is just that simple.

Backup QB spot behind a vet IMO is a great place to develop a rookie.   You could always keep PJ on the practice squad too for emergency.   Sam is just a pointless rep stealer IMO for Corral at this stage.   He isn't safe enough to be an actual backup and the development hope IMO is over. 

• Beer 1

18 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Hear me out….I cringe thinking of Sam “Gumby” Darnold being our starter at any point again, but we are already on the hook for his full salary, and he would be a top tier NFL backup if needed for a short period of time. This would allow Corral to have a true redshirt year and develop into a potential future starter, and take things very slow. This would be wonderful for his long term development in my humble opinion. What say ye fellow degenerates?? What is your thoughts on keeping Gumby vs Cutting him (for the sake of discussion this is for cutting - not trading him which btw will not happen) 

Article Snip:

ESPN’s David Newton reports that the Carolina Panthers do not intend to release Sam Darnold despite trading for Baker Mayfield. Carolina suggests there will be a quarterback competition, but all signs point towards Mayfield taking over. There also appears little interest around the league in acquiring Darnold. Will there be an actual training camp competition for the starting job between Mayfield and Darnold? Is it wise that Carolina keeps Darnold around? Despite owing 18 million in guaranteed money, Carolina should release Darnold before training camp to create a more defined vision at the quarterback position and to make sure that rookie quarterback Matt Corral’s development isn’t slowed by failed past decisions.

FULL ARTICLE:

https://www.carolinacatchronicles.com/newsfeed/2022/7/9/carolina-would-be-wise-to-release-sam-darnold-before-it-impedes-matt-corrals-development

6590E65D-149F-4355-9021-AF59E32DF895.jpeg

C587969F-12D6-41A3-8307-3FA15E6169D6.jpeg

19DC9D5E-AF23-4D89-BF7E-EFEC94AC54E7.jpeg

We don't need all three guys on the roster, that's for sure. Someone will be cut in August and it won't be Corral.

3 hours ago, CRA said:

problem w/ the Sam as a backup thing.....is he is the polar opposite of what you look for in backup.   Corral fits because he is young and developmental.  For a vet, you would prefer a Teddy type as a backup.  Sam is a timebomb.   A game imploder. 

Fwiw, that actually describes the vast majority of backups.  Our own Derek Anderson had that issue in Cleveland.  Yet, he was a serviceable backup for us.  He could win a game here or there, but there was a good chance if he played longer than a game or two or had to be depended on to win a game with his arm, then it would have been a risky proposition.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Pie 1

7 hours ago, frankw said:

Hey panthers55. When you type stuff up like this just remember you are more delusional than an average Jets fan. Even they believed their eyes and ears and declared your boy a lost cause.

You are a hater. Why am I wasting time given you aren't objective at all.  Oh thats right- I will stop wasting my time.. 

6 hours ago, CRA said:

Backup QB spot behind a vet IMO is a great place to develop a rookie.   You could always keep PJ on the practice squad too for emergency.   Sam is just a pointless rep stealer IMO for Corral at this stage.   He isn't safe enough to be an actual backup and the development hope IMO is over. 

But he is already paid for and at this point better than PJ or Corral. If they prove to be better than we might be able to make a change but Corral has had injury problems in college. Guys in the nfl are bigger and stronger. Hopefully Corral won't get snapped like a twig. But Corral he done anything to show he should be the backup?  At this point nothing.

44 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

But he is already paid for and at this point better than PJ or Corral. If they prove to be better than we might be able to make a change but Corral has had injury problems in college. Guys in the nfl are bigger and stronger. Hopefully Corral won't get snapped like a twig. But Corral he done anything to show he should be the backup?  At this point nothing.

I don’t disagree that Sam is better today.  But he is pointless in the long term and short term.  I’m merely prioritizing Corral developing and getting better and more reps over Sam.  Because regardless of what Sam is owed there is no point to him.  There is one to Corral getting work and opportunity.  More learning opportunity as the 2. 

• Pie 1

55 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

You are a hater. Why am I wasting time given you aren't objective at all.  Oh thats right- I will stop wasting my time.. 

Malarkey. I like many others was not in favor of the trade initially when it was rumored we were interested. I tried to talk myself into it after the move was made and when we were 3-0 I was very cautiously optimistic. But even though the oline was putrid Sam was still right back to the same very bad quarterback that made catastrophic decisions with the football and worse than that he some times looked like he just didn't give a damn like after that very play I referenced to you. Just because fans are in favor of raising the bar does not make them haters. If you want to talk haters that would be people waiting for our only MVP in team history to make mistakes so they could say I told you so all those years. Even he finally reached the inevitable point where we had to move on. So no do not sit there and call people haters because they want no parts of making excuses for Sam Darnold.

10 hours ago, CRA said:

Towards the middle of the year last year it may as well have been Nathan Peterman out there. People forget how dire things were before the Cam signing cam along for the FO to purposefully distract/pique interest.