• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2023 qb class - Some good news

mrcompletely11

34 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Like what I've seen of Phil Jurkovec.

DJ Uiagalelei? Not so much.

Also saw loads of people raving about Cameron Rising after the Manning passing academy.

Phil Jurkovec seems fine. I don't know that I have seen much that makes me think he would be much better than most of the 2022 class(all of which I thought were bad NFL prospects). 

DJ doesn't belong on a list of any sort of NFL prospects.

31 minutes ago, Panthera onca said:

Van Dyke and Leary both have a chance to be franchise guys. Both dudes can really spin the ball. Jurkovich on the other hand, I have not been impressed with.

Leary??

Yeah, I can't get behind that. He's a decent college player but I see very little NFL potential.

26 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Justin Fields' second year might have a lot of influence on his draft stock.

He has not been set up for success in Chicago.  No weapons and a shitty line...  I hope he can overcome it, but they are giving him less help than we gave Cam.  

11 minutes ago, frankw said:

This place hated Justin Herbert with a passion. But hey it's a crazy concept to just wait and see how these prospects perform and meet expectations in their upcoming season.

Maybe this place but I was on record as saying he was the best QB prospect in that draft. I think you mean @LinvilleGorge who infamously had a hate boner for Herbert.

• Beer 1

16 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Stroud seems to have the tools, but his team is so loaded and so much more talented than any of those Big 10 schools he goes against.  That is one of the reasons it is so hard to get a read on OSU QBs.  

"Scout the player, not the school."I hear that all the time.

It's really only partially valid though...

The problem is that more often than not, when players from a certain school have a history of failing at the pro level, there's generally a systemic reason.

Take the longtime knock on Florida State edge rushers. The school has had a tendency to use "tweener" types in that spot, and at the college level it works for them. But the ones who get drafted to pro teams who slot them as 4-3 defensive ends frequently have issues against the run.

Are there exceptions? Sure there are, but when you pick a player hoping he's that exception, you're taking a risk.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

My general thought process is that scouting QBs takes a lot more then watching the ooooo and ahhhh throws and getting behind the player. If finding a QB in college was easy everyone would have their qb but there are so many factors that go into it

and yes LUCK does have some factor too such as the year/position you’re drafting. 

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Leary??

Yeah, I can't get behind that. He's a decent college player but I see very little NFL potential.

We will see how he does this season, but he was a 35 and 5 guy last season. He is a pure pocket passer with good feet and pocket movement and can read defenses quite well, with a cannon arm.

2 hours ago, frankw said:

Just like this year and the year before the hype will slowly fizzle and we will return to the same hand wringing over the flaws of the top quarterbacks.

This time last year everyone was drooling over Sam Howell and Spencer Rattler as top 5 picks.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

15 minutes ago, stbugs said:

McCall has had a much better passing career so far even though he’s almost 2 years younger. I could see preferring McCall with the height difference as well. McCall is much younger but already looks way more polished than Willis. As to comparing him to Leaf, that makes no sense but preferring McCall to Willis isn’t hard to get.

I don't think he liked last years class in general. More of a statement on the way people play favorites instead of just focusing on the talent and merits of a prospect. I'll just be glad when we finally have our guy and don't have to listen to everyone bloviate about their expertise in quarterback evaluation.

Edited by frankw

21 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

My general thought process is that scouting QBs takes a lot more then watching the ooooo and ahhhh throws and getting behind the player. If finding a QB in college was easy everyone would have their qb but there are so many factors that go into it

and yes LUCK does have some factor too such as the year/position you’re drafting. 

Highlight reel scouting leads to bad takes.

Ted Nguyen lamented how, even at the pro level, some quarterback scouting has started to emphasize athleticism over technique, intelligence and decision making. People get the idea that they can take a physical specimen who doesn't have a lot of real "quarterback" skills and just coach him up.

Reality is that strategy fails as often as it succeeds (arguably more).

The smarter move is to take the guy who has shown he can actually play quarterback. If he's also a superior athlete, great. But if not, it isn't that big a deal.

• Beer 1

54 minutes ago, frankw said:

This place hated Justin Herbert with a passion. But hey it's a crazy concept to just wait and see how these prospects perform and meet expectations in their upcoming season.

I was on the official get Justin Herbert at all cost bandwagon here. I thought Marty was on the team, but I guess Marty was overRhuled.

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I didn’t either. Corral isn’t a bad risk, but damn we need a real QB bad. What we’ve had to deal with since 2019 or even second half of 2018 when teams knew Cam had no power, has been awful.

Corral has a very high ceiling and if we can get the MAN out there and let the MAN start at QB like Mac did, like Zach did and if he does better than either guy our franchise is saved. Instead, McAdoo is tasked with reforming used goods that don't even smell fresh, something about head up ass.

That's Rhule intentionally sabotaging McAdoo with failed Baker because if he had Corral playing like a OROY by the end of the season he'd get the next hottest coach train outta here!

If we need to draft a QB because Corral isn't capable, that's something we desperately need to know BEFORE the next draft.

Bubble wrap and tummy rubs and spoon-feeding delays his development IMO.

Didn't help Sam last year that's for damn sure.

Edited by rippadonn