• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers have spent the equivalent of pick 19 on a QB over the last two offseasons

Luciu5

According to Albert Breer's math, and not counting TB in the equation as he saw Teddy as always being just a temporary option. He gets into it a little more, talks about what we got instead (Brown/Horn/Ickey), and basically concludes we have not overpaid at the QB position. He gets into Mayfield some as well. All around good read.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/07/18/panthers-investment-at-quarterback-adds-up

"Add together trades for Sam Darnold (2021 sixth-rounder and ’22 second- and fourth-rounders), Matt Corral (’22 fourth-rounder and third-rounder) and Mayfield (a conditional fifth-rounder in ’23), and using the draft value chart, you can actually put a number on all of these deals. If we’re putting the future picks in the middle of the rounds, and Mayfield plays 70% of the team’s offensive snaps (making that ’23 pick a fourth-rounder), the sum of the picks comes to 869 points. If Mayfield plays less than that, it’s 844 points.

The 19th pick on the chart is worth 875 points. The 20th pick is worth 850 points."

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Needs to add in the money as well. I know they paid Teddy 2 gloves 30 million for his one year.......and paying Sammy boy 18.9 this year to stand on the sideline and pick his mole..

Rhule has f'd up the QB choices, i hope the rumors are true about him losing some power about picking playersj...

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • The D 1

25 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Needs to add in the money as well. I know they paid Teddy 2 gloves 30 million for his one year.......and paying Sammy boy 18.9 this year to stand on the sideline and pick his mole..

Rhule has f'd up the QB choices, i hope the rumors are true about him losing some power about picking playersj...

We paid Sam 5.7 million last year.  So over the last 3 years we paid around 54.6 million or 18.2 a year (not including backups or Cam's dead cap)

• Beer 1

Just now, poundaway said:

We paid Sam 5.7 million last year.  So over the last 3 years we paid around 54.6 million or 18.2 a year (not including backups or Cam's dead cap)

It was like Rhule clogged the toilet and keeps flushing years afterwards......Lets hope Mccadoo is a real plumber....

That was a wasted 5.5 million given to Cam, just awful at the QB management form ALL angles......Still only Corral is on the roster for 2023 and theres 37 million in the red........resigning Burns and cutting Elf help a little but theres still 25+ red.... 

hella bad

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

16 minutes ago, Basbear said:

It was like Rhule clogged the toilet and keeps flushing years afterwards......Lets hope Mccadoo is a real plumber....

That was a wasted 5.5 million given to Cam, just awful at the QB management form ALL angles......Still only Corral is on the roster for 2023 and theres 37 million in the red........resigning Burns and cutting Elf help a little but theres still 25+ red.... 

hella bad

Saints manage, seems we're taking a similar approach with the cap as are others. There is rollover, salary cap increases, and the never ending ability to move money down the road. 

I'm not too concerned about cap space, it's malleable. 

56 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Needs to add in the money as well.

Breer doesn't address money.

My opinion, money doesn't matter unless it's still 1992. Cap hits don't really matter and the dead cap is significantly less these days compared to 2020. In a world where QB's make 40 mil a year, what we are paying these guys are pretty low end QB contracts.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Saints manage, seems we're taking a similar approach with the cap as are others. There is rollover, salary cap increases, and the never ending ability to move money down the road. 

I'm not too concerned about cap space, it's malleable. 

Panthers are not cap smart like the iants, not even close. Theyve had maybe two years out of 10+ where they had to make sweeping cuts etc in order to be legit. Panthers have stayied in terrible spot, were they have little talent and high cap numbers...... iants at least have great talent. Look at thier rosters over the years, at each group there is a legit pro bowler. Just pick a few groups out- OL, LB, DL, RB, S, etc...... 

fyi heres the 2023 panthers-(be sure to read those names and FAs)

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/cap/2023/

6 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

Breer doesn't address money.

My opinion, money doesn't matter unless it's still 1992. Cap hits don't really matter and the dead cap is significantly less these days compared to 2020. In a world where QB's make 40 mil a year, what we are paying these guys are pretty low end QB contracts.

Also getting low low low low lower results. There are/were street FAs that could have done 2020 teddy/2021 Darnold and costed minimum type deals. Should have kept Cam for starters. PJ "MFING" Walker could have gotten similar numbers I bet for a ultra low discount to boot.... wasted other players time/effort. 

It's a great analysis.

But, we got a '21 6th back when we traded away Teddy, so Sam cost a '22 2nd and 4th.   
Corral cost a '22 4th and a '23 3rd (not '22)
Mayfield is likely going to hit the targets and its in '24,not  in '23, so the pick was a  '24 4th.

Ignoring the value of time and using mid-round picks that's:
2nd + 3rd + 2x4ths = 420+190+2x70 = 750 = pick 24.5

GM's would rather have additional picks in the current draft over picks out in the future.   1st round picks from  2050 have next to zero value atm because nobody wants them now.  The rule of thumb to adjust for that is to subtract a round for each out year.  Using that logic, Sam cost a 3rd and 5th rounder, Corral 2x 4th rounders, and Mayfield a 5th (this years draft was over, so only one draft out). 

3rd + 2x4th+ 2x5th =190+2x70+ 2x 34 = 398 = pick 52  or a late 2nd rounder for all 3 qbs we have now.   And we have paid about 18 million a year for our starting QB  per year.

So the value of the trades at the time they were executed was somewhere between pick 24 and 52.

We ended up at the bottom of the league, and Sam was a bust, so what looked like a cheap trade at the time, ended up being wasted valuable capital.  We didn't break the bank though.   We still drafted the QB we wanted and traded for an at least average QB to give the rookie time to develop.

• Pie 4

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Don't matter how you spin it or what math you make up, we have made bad decisions at QB so far. Jury is out on Corrall and I guess Baker, but we've been grasping at straws trying to hang onto the cliff.

Fitterer is repeating what they did in Seattle, looking under rocks trying to find a QB.  At the end of this year we'll have turned over the  Teddy, Sam, Cam, and Mayfield stones.   We may have peeked at Corral.  Its an ugly process and absolutely sucks for fans.

• Pie 3

16 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Fitterer is repeating what they did in Seattle, looking under rocks trying to find a QB.  At the end of this year we'll have turned over the  Teddy, Sam, Cam, and Mayfield stones.   We may have peeked at Corral.  Its an ugly process and absolutely sucks for fans.

i unfortunately can't  say the same thing for Corral because I just simply don't believe his game will translate to the pros as it did in college... 

but now with that said  on the other hand  I honestly  believe this time as time will tell of course  that Fitterer has finally  struck gold this time &  found that diamond  in the rough that he has been so desperately  in search for in the form of Baker Mayfield... just saying

• Pie 1