• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much playing time will Matt Corral get on Saturday?

Zod

1 minute ago, Hugo said:

Why would we waste snaps from a preseason game on a QB we know pretty much for sure will not make the team. PJ is a good dude and he has the talent to be a backup somewhere else but just not with us right now. 

Also, if there is a good time to give Corral snaps, it's preseason. He won't drown, he'll welcome the challenge.

In no universe is MC playing an entire preseason game. No one is playing an entire preseason game at one position.  PJ is getting in at some point lol

6 minutes ago, Hugo said:

Why would we waste snaps from a preseason game on a QB we know pretty much for sure will not make the team. PJ is a good dude and he has the talent to be a backup somewhere else but just not with us right now. 

Also, if there is a good time to give Corral snaps, it's preseason. He won't drown, he'll welcome the challenge.

Because you don't want to play your starters in a lot of preseason ball.  Preseason is largely about sorting out the bottom of the roster anyway.  The loss of a game hurts that. 

I didn't think 30% of the snaps was chump change in game 1.  Bump it to 40%.  But I don't want Matt Corral dominating the snaps yet.  I want to develop him.  He isn't getting much work in camp, throw him out there for 3 NFL quarters with limited gameplanning and it could go south quick. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

Because you don't want to play your starters in a lot of preseason ball.  Preseason is largely about sorting out the bottom of the roster anyway.  The loss of a game hurts that. 

I didn't think 30% of the snaps was chump change in game 1.  Bump it to 40%.  But I don't want Matt Corral dominating the snaps yet.  I want to develop him.  He isn't getting much work in camp, throw him out there for 3 NFL quarters with limited gameplanning and it could go south quick. 

I want to develop him too, and playing in the preseason is a really good way to do that.

Also, to be clear, it isn't the Panthers job or Matt Rhule's job to help PJ Walker find a new team, especially not when he could be put on the practice squad here if they want.

Making playing time decisions based on a desire to help a player land in a good spot is some Ron Rivera style bullsh-t.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I want to develop him too, and playing in the preseason is a really good way to do that.

Also, to be clear, it isn't the Panthers job or Matt Rhule's job to help PJ Walker find a new team, especially not when he could be put on the practice squad here if they want.

Making playing time decisions based on a desire to help a player land in a good spot is some Ron Rivera style bullsh-t.

playing our starters for over a quarter vs backups in preseason game 1 doesn't seem like the greatest idea. 

I have no issue w/ Rhule playing Sam and Baker w/ our 2s.  But I don't think that is his play when he does play those 2. 

is there a coach in the NFL that played their staters for the quarter last season in preseason game 1.    Rhule's QB competition is bogus to begin with.  In no way do I want to see our starters out there taking part in some fake competition all preseason.   

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

playing our starters for over a quarter vs backups in preseason game 1 doesn't seem like the greatest idea. 

I have no issue w/ Rhule playing Sam and Baker w/ our 2s.  But I don't think that is his play when he does play those 2. 

is there a coach in the NFL that played their staters for the quarter last season in preseason game 1.    Rhule's QB competition is bogus to begin with.  In no way do I want to see our starters out there taking part in some fake competition all preseason.   

Matt Corral is not the starter brother, he will be our 3rd QB on the depth chart, which is exactly the kind of player you put out there in preseason.

6 minutes ago, Hugo said:

Matt Corral is not the starter brother, he will be our 3rd QB on the depth chart, which is exactly the kind of player you put out there in preseason.

I said I thought PJ and Corral would get all the snaps.  Had Matt at almost 2 full quarters.  I don't think wanting 4 quarters of Matt Corral is really being that pro Corral.  That's not good development.  Give him hardly no reps in camp and then have him go play a NFL game for 3 quarters out the gate?  Who does that to a 3rd round rookie.