• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Meanwhile in bankruptcy court...

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

I think that an attorney who actually deals in property and contract law would be able to give us better insight than Huddlers using it for fodder to berate Tepper. 

It's not like the man is going broke or something. He's just doing what rich people do when things don't go their way I'd imagine. 

Id say it's a little more than "things not going his way".

Tepper bragged about giving the Panthers "the best" in every area. This ginormous practice facility was gonna be a big part of that. Yet despite all the braggadocio and such, he couldn't get it done and we're back to practicing on average practice fields in Charlotte and having training camp in Spartanburg,

Even if he doesn't take a big financial loss on all this, when it comes to perception and image, there's pretty much no way he doesn't come out of this looking like a loser.

Right now, about the only legit claim he can make to improving the team is constructing the bubble over the practice fields.

Edited by Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I looked back at some of the original stories but don't see any mention of future projects.

Did see this regarding the lawsuit (link)

York County has filed a lawsuit against several of Carolina Panthers owner David Tepper’s organizations and the city of Rock Hill over the “misappropriation” of $21 million in funds tied to the team facility that was under construction in Rock Hill.

County leaders allege in the lawsuit the Tepper Defendants “improperly utilized these funds on their failed vanity project, the Carolina Panthers’ headquarters and practice facility.”

“Both the City and the Tepper Defendants have harmed York County and its taxpayers, and the County should be made whole,” court documents state.

They were seeking 21 million ar rhe time, and the story now says Tepper's company is willing to pay them 20 million.

Offering one million less does sound like kind of a 'f--k you' move.

Future work on the site, not future projects. You can be damn sure they had contracts with suppliers and builders to build out the site and most of that was never started or completed. 

1 minute ago, gofightwin said:

Future work on the site, not future projects. You can be damn sure they had contracts with suppliers and builders to build out the site and most of that was never started or completed. 

Yet their final offer is only a million off what Rock Hill said they were owed.

Outside of sounding a little petty, it's kinda hard to frame that as some massive victory,

2 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

There are no winners in fallouts like this. Just resolutions and to go on each other’s way.

I'd say the guy who made a bunch of promises and predictions he couldn't deliver on definitely doesn't come out looking like a winner here.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Id say it's a little more than "things not going his way".

Tepper bragged about giving the Panthers "the best" in every area. This ginormous practice facility was gonna be a big part of that. Yet despite all the braggadocio and such, he couldn't get it done and we're back to practicing on average practice fields in Charlotte and having training camp in Spartanburg,

Even if he doesn't take a big financial loss on all this, when it comes to perception and image, there's pretty much no way he doesn't come out of this looking like a loser.

Right now, about the only legit claim he can make to improving the team is constructing the bubble over the practice practice field.

The HQ was a screw-up for sure, but everyone knows that if Tepper wants a grandiose facility for the Panthers, he'll get it in time. I don't see it as losing as much as I see it as learning the area and the culture before trying to do too much too soon. Some things just can't be rushed. He found that out with big plans for a facility, and he found it out with the team. 

Super-wealthy know-it-alls who come in to show everyone how things ought to be done, only to create a dumpster fire of everything while still proclaiming their greatness.

If anything outside of the pandemic describes the last 10 years or so, then this is it. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

The HQ was a screw-up for sure, but everyone knows that if Tepper wants a grandiose facility for the Panthers, he'll get it in time. I don't see it as losing as much as I see it as learning the area and the culture before trying to do too much too soon. Some things just can't be rushed. He found that out with big plans for a facility, and he found it out with the team. 

Like everyone knew that if he wanted Deshaun Watson, he'd get him?

I know some people had this godfather type image built up like Tepper could basically have whatever he wants, but again outside of building a practice bubble and hiring an overpaid, underqualified head coach, has he actually gotten much of anything he wants?

Right now if anything, he looks like a poser.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

52 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I know some people had this godfather type image built up like Tepper could basically have whatever he wants, but again outside of building a practice bubble and hiring an overpaid, underqualified head coach, has he actually gotten much of anything he wants?

Let's not mistake salary cap and draft implications, and bidding wars with other strong-willed successful men, with being a billionaire and able to pay for a state of the art practice facility all by yourself confused.

Edited by top dawg

8 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Let's not mistake salary cap and draft implications, and bidding wars with other strong-willed successful men, with being a billionaire and able to pay for a state of the art practice facility all by yourself confused.

My Cliff Clavin Jeopardy answer would be "What are things that David Tepper hasn't accomplished?"

If you want to go $25,000 Pyramid there are plenty more things that could be added to the list, starting with "Being a successful NFL team owner".

Hell, at this point Tepper can't even claim to be the richest owner in the league anymore. He's now a distant second or third behind Rob Walton.

More than one poster has used the "Rmperor's New Clothes" metaphor when it comes to Tepper. To tell the truth, it's pretty accurate.

11 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Does getting rid of Jerry's statue count? 

15 hours ago, Squirrel said:

Then his 4th company will come in and buy the property pennies on the dollars. 

You sir have figured out exactly how Tepper has become a billionaire. He doesn't build success, he packages failures and forces them into bankruptcy to buy them up for pennies with his banking buddies. Then he auctions the parts off for a profit and invests those profits.

Retail investors, employees, and low income communities are always left holding the bag when it's empty.