• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why is PJ Walker EVEN on the team?

TheBigKat

4 hours ago, Harbingers said:

Still think we are going to keep 4. PJ as a “special teams spot” in hopes that we can move darnold for something once injuries start happening to QB’s. 

If nobody bites on Darnold though then we look really fuging stupid. Tbf, having these 4 as our QB room has already achieved that but still lol

• Beer 1

19 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

All of which is college coach thinking..

Well there are some high profile examples in the NFL: Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, and most recently Trey Lance, although it's too early to make conclusions on him. 

Honestly, I think a lot more teams would delay throwing their rookie qbs into the fire but most of the ones drafting a high profile rookie qb are too awful to have the luxury of waiting without having the entire fan base turn on them. That may be the case this year with us too, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if Baker Mayfield is so good that we don't feel inclined to see what we have in Corral. If things go awry, I think we throw Corral out there sooner than planned regardless of how ready he might be.

• Beer 2

58 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

Well there are some high profile examples in the NFL: Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, and most recently Trey Lance, although it's too early to make conclusions on him. 

Honestly, I think a lot more teams would delay throwing their rookie qbs into the fire but most of the ones drafting a high profile rookie qb are too awful to have the luxury of waiting without having the entire fan base turn on them. That may be the case this year with us too, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if Baker Mayfield is so good that we don't feel inclined to see what we have in Corral. If things go awry, I think we throw Corral out there sooner than planned regardless of how ready he might be.

That is probably one reason why so many top 10 or 15 picks that are QBs fail.  The teams that are in a position to draft them feed them to the wolves almost by necessity.  If you are a top QB in the draft, you are almost guaranteed to go to a dumpster fire unless there is or has been a trade. 

24 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

That is probably one reason why so many top 10 or 15 picks that are QBs fail.  The teams that are in a position to draft them feed them to the wolves almost by necessity.  If you are a top QB in the draft, you are almost guaranteed to go to a dumpster fire unless there is or has been a trade. 

To be clear though, we're not talking about prepping Corral for a starting role.

All they needed to do was have him prepared to play some snaps in the second half of a preseason game and look at least adequate.

That's not what happened.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

To be clear though, we're not talking about prepping Corral for a starting role.

All they needed to do was have him prepared to play some snaps in the second half of a preseason game and look at least adequate.

No doubt.  Our ability to not put players in positions to succeed goes back many years, even prior to Rhule. 

Rhule just seems to excel at it.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

So I honestly don't know the answer to this question, but you seem very confident.  My question is:  How do you know Corral was not prepared vs he just wasn't very good?  Like the game was too fast for him, he got nervous and just did not play well. 

And whether he played well or was not prepared - i am sure he will do better the next game.  This is just preseason. 

8 minutes ago, thennek said:

So I honestly don't know the answer to this question, but you seem very confident.  My question is:  How do you know Corral was not prepared vs he just wasn't very good?  Like the game was too fast for him, he got nervous and just did not play well. 

And whether he played well or was not prepared - i am sure he will do better the next game.  This is just preseason. 

Because we've gotten word from camp on just how little he's been practicing.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not to excuse Rhule since his development of our young guys has been sorely lacking but is there another team that still hasn't settled on their starting qb? Maybe Pittsburgh, but Pickett is 3rd on their depth chart so realistically I don't think they plan to seriously consider him week 1. I can't really blame them for giving the vast majority of practice reps to Darnold and Baker until they have settled on the starter. And even though it sucks for us and the franchise, Rhule doesn't have much incentive to care about Corral. Either he wins with Baker and saves his job or he loses, gets fired and isn't around to see if Corral is the answer. 

6 hours ago, rayzor said:

which backups is he better than?

hmmm, he would be seahawks 3rd, beaguals 3rd, Texans 2nd/3rd, jags 3rd, KC 3rd, Bears 2nd/3rd, failcons 3rdmaybe2nd, cards 3rd, rams 3rd(dang those backup QBs are bad for a SB team). 

Honestly more than I thought, now I doubt he doesnt get a offer or two. but some of those teams will only carry 2 QBs as well.  PJ could go full temple and turn down deals to remain BFF with rhule.....

• Pie 1

Imagine if PJ was cut, and Seahawks picked him up, then they go on to have a Superbowl Perfect Winning Season....yea right...right??? The Huddle would implode... I mean there's some who believe Darnold can win us 7 games...lol. 

On some real, PJ has been the most RESILIENT player on this team.

He's tested the time through Teddy, Grier*(a lot of people had him behind our 3rd round pick, hmmm), Darnold, Comeback Cam, Darnold again, GOLDEN Corral rookie QB, again 3rd round, and now you got hot off the press, Baker Mayfield...

I believe that's why we win with PJ; the whole team feels "IT" when he's on the field. He just sometimes gets in his own way...

PJ going to get picked up, because he's the only current Panther who can say he's won more games than he's lost as a Panther...lol 

I think Darnold gets the most snaps against the Pats... If he can't see past those old ghosts, he's probably toast...

Peanutbutter n' Jelly....All I do is Win-Walker, Carolina Panther....

54 minutes ago, Icdeadpeople said:

Imagine if PJ was cut, and Seahawks picked him up, then they go on to have a Superbowl Perfect Winning Season....yea right...right??? The Huddle would implode... I mean there's some who believe Darnold can win us 7 games...lol. 

On some real, PJ has been the most RESILIENT player on this team.

He's tested the time through Teddy, Grier*(a lot of people had him behind our 3rd round pick, hmmm), Darnold, Comeback Cam, Darnold again, GOLDEN Corral rookie QB, again 3rd round, and now you got hot off the press, Baker Mayfield...

I believe that's why we win with PJ; the whole team feels "IT" when he's on the field. He just sometimes gets in his own way...

PJ going to get picked up, because he's the only current Panther who can say he's won more games than he's lost as a Panther...lol 

I think Darnold gets the most snaps against the Pats... If he can't see past those old ghosts, he's probably toast...

Peanutbutter n' Jelly....All I do is Win-Walker, Carolina Panther....

I vote this as the most retarded post of the day

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, Peon Awesome said:

Not to excuse Rhule since his development of our young guys has been sorely lacking but is there another team that still hasn't settled on their starting qb? Maybe Pittsburgh, but Pickett is 3rd on their depth chart so realistically I don't think they plan to seriously consider him week 1. I can't really blame them for giving the vast majority of practice reps to Darnold and Baker until they have settled on the starter. And even though it sucks for us and the franchise, Rhule doesn't have much incentive to care about Corral. Either he wins with Baker and saves his job or he loses, gets fired and isn't around to see if Corral is the answer. 

Seattle having a great season with or without Walker would shock the hell out of me.

Beyond that? Yeah...no 😕

18 hours ago, thennek said:

I re-watched the fourth quarter last night. His receivers dropped three passes, one ran the wrong route and on 4 occasions, he had less than 1 second in the pocket. 

• Pie 1