• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is there tension behind the scenes?

NAS

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Sweet, so we drafted the most unready qb in the draft and not only that we traded draft capital for him.  Typical panther move

I’m not ready to close the book on Corral after a bad preseason debut. He was a late 3rd round pick. He needs time to develop. The bust rate on QBs is extremely high. The only thing that frustrated me was seeing how good Sam Howell looked. The Panthers easily could have saved that draft capital and taken Howell. Made a lot more sense to me at that part of the draft. Oh well, like you said, typical Panthers. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

there is no benefit for Fitt to specifically say they had a first round grade on him if it wasnt true.  In fact, kindof like we are seeing, that could very well blow up in his face.

How does a 5th or even a 7th round pick already look light years better then our supposed "first round talent"?

I meant the "QB of the future" comment. They had little way of knowing if he really is/was that when he made that comment. 

There is no telling what their thoughts on that are now but I don't think even if they had doubts about his future here that they would be blasting him publicly. 

It's way too early to be making these kind of statements about any strife over a project player. If there is tension between Rhule and Fitterer, I would say it probably goes much deeper than Matt Corral.

1 hour ago, ThPantherFan said:

Well, yes, it's possible.  rule is just a college coach.

I think a genuine rift between Rhule and Fitterer would be a hard thing to keep a lid on. 

If there is any potential for this to get interesting it will be if that seat under Matt Rhule gets blazing hot during the season. If that happens, I am curious to see how Fitterer reacts to the guy who hired him possibly getting the axe.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

I’m not ready to close the book on Corral after a bad preseason debut. He was a late 3rd round pick. He needs time to develop. The bust rate on QBs is extremely high. The only thing that frustrated me was seeing how good Sam Howell looked. The Panthers easily could have saved that draft capital and taken Howell. Made a lot more sense to me at that part of the draft. Oh well, like you said, typical Panthers. 

Howell was getting 4 seconds to throw the ball and Alex Erickson who's been in the league 6 years. He basically threw to him over and over. Not as impressive after watching the replay. He did his thing but he was put in a much better situation than Corral, they could look the complete opposite next week depending on the circumstances

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

We didn't need to trade up to draft Matt Corral for him to be immediately out in the doghouse.

Wasted pick. We will be picking high again this next draft without knowing IF Matt Corral translates or not.

Then this next draft has a bunch of good looking QBs but we'll pass because we have Corral, who will have yet to have taken an NFL starting snap.

I liked Matt Corral before the draft and now to wish he had been drafted by someone else. He doesn't deserve this. He deserves a genuine chance to compete to start.

5 hours ago, NAS said:

I think Corrall was Fitt’s draft choice and Rhule refusing to give him reps has to be creating some tension behind the scenes. There is no other explanation that would make sense.  

Lol no.  

Hes a 3rd round pick from one of the weakest qb draft classes in ages.  

Fitt isn’t an idiot.  

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

Howell was getting 4 seconds to throw the ball and Alex Erickson who's been in the league 6 years. He basically threw to him over and over. Not as impressive after watching the replay. He did his thing but he was put in a much better situation than Corral, they could look the complete opposite next week depending on the circumstances

It's true, Howell likely had more reps in practice and yes his supporting cast looked a little better. But lets not sugar-coat how bad Corral looked in his limited action. Even Will Grier looked more competent in his rookie preseason. Still time to turn it around though. One bad outing shouldn't cause a panic for a 3rd round rookie.

46 minutes ago, hepcat said:

It's true, Howell likely had more reps in practice and yes his supporting cast looked a little better. But lets not sugar-coat how bad Corral looked in his limited action. Even Will Grier looked more competent in his rookie preseason. Still time to turn it around though. One bad outing shouldn't cause a panic for a 3rd round rookie.

I am not panicking over corral I am panicking over our coaching staff

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I am not panicking over corral I am panicking over our coaching staff

There is really no reason to panic over the staff. They are who we thought they were after 2 years in the NFL.

That's a problem that will eventually fix itself. We are just going to have to suffer through some more bad football to get there.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, hepcat said:

But if people want to make the argument that Corral sucked in Week 1 entirely because of our coaching staff, then you'd have to assume that Howell would have also sucked with the same coaching staff taking the same approach.  So being frustrated we didn't take Howell isn't really logically consistent unless you're only arguing about the draft capital we would have saved.  That's why I'm surprised @mrcompletely11 pied this post cause that seems to be contrary to what he has been saying about coaching being 100% of the reason behind the difference in rookie QB performances in Preseason Week 1.

7 hours ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I agree with something I read. Rhule is in  make or break year. So prioritizing a 3rd round rookie isn’t important. 
That said two years in you can easily see who Rhule favors and doesn’t favor. 
Also he is still calling players out during press conferences and giving not-so-subtle blame. Which is just so unprofessional, imo. 
Either don’t say anything or talk to them behind close doors. 

There is a word for Rhule's personality......

Sleeping With The Enemy Narcissist GIF by Narcissistic Abuse Rehab

• Pie 3