• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are they that much better then last season?

Jmac

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

This forum right now after seeing maybe 15 potential game day players play limited minutes in a meaningless no game plan, vanilla offense and defense play calling game … it’s mind jarring. 

if we had played well and won last night…. The inverse of today would be “it’s just preseason, there is no reason to think this team can win 4 or more games this year.”

everything is so spoken matter of factly, when in all reality none of us know how this season will play out.

That's simply no true at all 

Oddly enough I feel pretty good about the defense overall. But ohh wee mayne the offensive line depth still looks depressing and now our rookie quarterback is in a boot after two preseason games. Sorry to the sunshine and rainbows crew here but you aren't polishing this turd up. It's bad.

I think our starters are solid and can play with anyone.  

I want to mention that our 2nd team offense with PJ at the helm did get down in FG territory against NE's 1st team defense.  So we have a little depth but not much.

I think if we have more than two significant injuries on the offensive line we're toast.  You probably can say the same thing about the defensive line. 

I'm excited to see our 1st team defense.  I have a feeling they are going to be fun to watch. 

5 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I think if we have more than two significant injuries on the offensive line we're toast.  You probably can say the same thing about the defensive line. 

I dont think its a matter of two significant injuries to the offesnsive or defensive. Its a significant injury to a significant player, like Burns or Moton. However, if we our center go down and one of the tackles, we are in a much better position than we have been in a few years. 

For example:

God forbid this happens....

Situation: Ickey goes down with a season ending injury...
Solution: BC goes to left tackle and Bozeman/Elfein/Mays go to LG. 

Last year we didnt have this kind of option, adn this year we do. 

I get knocking our depth, but situational depth vs depth chart depth... are vastly different.

Edited by TheCasillas

It's all about injuries. 

The team has talent enough to compete for a playoff spot IF they stay away from serious injuries to key personnel (CMC, Baker, Burns, etc.). They aren't deep enough at the talent positions if one of them is hurt for an extended period.

Just bear in mind, not a year goes by where teams aren't affected by injury. 

Yes for sure, depth is slowly getting better each year and I still think it will be shocking how much better competent QB play from Baker will be compared to Darnold. Also CMC being back and hopefully healthy and a professional NFL Offensive Coordinator will make a big difference too. 

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

I dont think its a matter of two significant injuries to the offesnsive or defensive. Its a significant injury to a significant player, like Burns or Moton. However, if we our center go down and one of the tackles, we are in a much better position than we have been in a few years. IE:

God forbid this happens....

Situation: Taylor Moton goes down with a season ending injury...
Solution: BC goes to right tackle and Bozeman/Elfein/Mays go to LG. 

Last year we didnt have this kind of option, adn this year we do. 

I get knocking our depth, but situational depth vs depth chart depth... are vastly different.

Saying Icky, BC, Boseman, Corbett and Moton are starters.  That leaves a rookie and Elflein as our only decent players.  Fortunately BC can play tackle so we have 1 option at tackle.  The interior line I would say Mays is probably the next best player.  Everyone liked Pleasant last week but he looked poorly last night. 

If we have more than two significant injuries on this line and with the depth we have we're in trouble.  No matter the position.   

1 minute ago, Asaria said:

We go 20-0, Super Bowl Champions, Rhule Coach of the Year, Baker MVP, Tepper drops his brass balls in the middle of the stadium to celebrate...

And people would still go "Idk man, this team might suck still."

Matt Rhule is 3-9 in the NFC South and lost to every head coach that was fired last year. Keep dreaming buddy.

• Flames 1