• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corral heading to IR

Floppin

6 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

This all really isn't about Corral and his ability at QB. It's about mismanagement of the QB position this year. When we traded for Baker, he became our number 1. Corral is our 3rd round pick so he's automatically #3. That leaves our 2 between SD and PJ. It really doesn't matter which because they are both the same QB and we are eating their salaries regardless. Pick one, cut the other, move on already. There's no reason for all these competition shenanigans. It's not fooling anyone. Developing your 3rd rd qb pick is more important than possible trading SD or PJ for a future 7th rd pick that's likely to never make the roster anyway. 

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

7 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Baker is a more true version of the washed up Cam narrative.

Hey Carson Strong was 0/1 today! Are you just going to pretend you didn’t act like he was the best QB of this draft by a long shot?? You were obsessing about Strong like you are Corral now. 
Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

2 hours ago, WOW!! said:

Was it Rivera mission also to prepare Will Grier to be a future starter or numbers 2 QB his rookie season??

I don't think I ever heard Rivera's opinion on Grier.  If I remember right, Grier was Norv Turner's idea, and from what I heard he thought Grier had the capability to be be an effective #2 and the eventual successor to Cam.  That would probably also mean he planned to develop him into the #2 QB by the end of the first season, especially since we weren't especially sold on our QB depth behind Cam.  

So Rivera, probably not (or no opinion), but Turner, probably so.

We'll never know if the #2 idea would have turned out. Grier stunk, but once things went south any focus on developing him was on hold and eventually ended with the cleaning out of the coaches.  I don't share Turner's vision about him ever being a starter, but he might have been able to develop him into a competent backup.

Our backup QB position has been a mess since Anderson left. 

18 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I don't think I ever heard Rivera's opinion on Grier.  If I remember right, Grier was Norv Turner's idea, and from what I heard he thought Grier had the capability to be be an effective #2 and the eventual successor to Cam.  That would probably also mean he planned to develop him into the #2 QB by the end of the first season, especially since we weren't especially sold on our QB depth behind Cam.  

So Rivera, probably not (or no opinion), but Turner, probably so.

We'll never know if the #2 idea would have turned out. Grier stunk, but once things went south any focus on developing him was on hold and eventually ended with the cleaning out of the coaches.  I don't share Turner's vision about him ever being a starter, but he might have been able to develop him into a competent backup.

Our backup QB position has been a mess since Anderson left. 

Agreed but the fact Norv plan wasn't a 1st year rookie plan is the point..

A 3rd round pick usually isn't expected to be a starter and rarely 2nd team at the beginning of TC or in the actually regular season  .

It usually takes 3rd and later round picks some time to move up the roster.. I don't know when this mindset changed..

Edited by WOW!!

15 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Agreed but the fact Norv plan wasn't a 1st year rookie plan is the point..

A 3rd round pick usually isn't expected to be a starter and rarely 2nd team at the beginning of TC or in the actually regular season  .

It usually takes 3rd and later round picks some time to move up the roster.. I don't know when this mindset changed..

Expecting him to be lightning in a bottle is a very high bar.  Lower first round picks usually don't provide that.  Prior to the Mayfield trade, hoping he moves up to start once we cratered under Darnold or at least to take over #2 on the depth chart by seasons end was probably a realistic range of expectations.

I'm not sure the Mayfield trade changed that other than any realistic chance Corral would be the #1 any time before the competitive part of the season came to a close (we don't win games and are eliminated from playoff contention).

As far as I can tell, the Mayfield deal was not related to Corral.  I guess if Corral had lit it up from day one they may have backed away from the talks, but the sticking point was always which team was going to pay how much.  I don't think either side budged from the draft through the actual trade, Mayfield just chipped in. 

Prior to the draft, we had two QBs who arguably should not be on NFL rosters.  Maybe Darnold is a backup, but he turns the ball over too much for my tastes even in that role.  After the draft we still had them, plus a third round pick that we liked the potential of.  So, one guy that might turn out and two that are duds.  That situation still dictates pursuing somebody who is at least solid.  We did, and at least for this season, got him fairly cheaply.

4 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Expecting him to be lightning in a bottle is a very high bar.  Lower first round picks usually don't provide that.  Prior to the Mayfield trade, hoping he moves up to start once we cratered under Darnold or at least to take over #2 on the depth chart by seasons end was probably a realistic range of expectations.

I'm not sure the Mayfield trade changed that other than any realistic chance Corral would be the #1 any time before the competitive part of the season came to a close (we don't win games and are eliminated from playoff contention).

As far as I can tell, the Mayfield deal was not related to Corral.  I guess if Corral had lit it up from day one they may have backed away from the talks, but the sticking point was always which team was going to pay how much.  I don't think either side budged from the draft through the actual trade, Mayfield just chipped in. 

Prior to the draft, we had two QBs who arguably should not be on NFL rosters.  Maybe Darnold is a backup, but he turns the ball over too much for my tastes even in that role.  After the draft we still had them, plus a third round pick that we liked the potential of.  So, one guy that might turn out and two that are duds.  That situation still dictates pursuing somebody who is at least solid.  We did, and at least for this season, got him fairly cheaply.

I get the so called QB battle between Darnold and Mayfield at least at the beginning of training camp.  It's been obvious for weeks that Mayfield is the better option.  Rhule should have named Mayfield the starter and Darnold back up.  Corral should have been 3rd on the depth chart and given more Reps than he has seen.  

What would Rhule have done if Mayfield goes down and Darnold stinks up the place.  Which probably will happen.  Rhule is now force to either get a veteran off the wire or put a rookie in that has seen little to no reps.  Absolutely makes no sense.  

• Beer 1

31 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I get the so called QB battle between Darnold and Mayfield at least at the beginning of training camp.  It's been obvious for weeks that Mayfield is the better option.  Rhule should have named Mayfield the starter and Darnold back up.  Corral should have been 3rd on the depth chart and given more Reps than he has seen.  

What would Rhule have done if Mayfield goes down and Darnold stinks up the place.  Which probably will happen.  Rhule is now force to either get a veteran off the wire or put a rookie in that has seen little to no reps.  Absolutely makes no sense.  

I won't get into the "Battle of the QBs" when you just acquired one because the other guy in the battle stunk up the place and necessitated a change.

The scenario about Mayfield going down, especially before Corral is ready to assume the #2 role, is a concern.  But it is also a direct cost of past sins at the position, namely exercising the fifth year on Darnold and/or not bringing in a credible backup (last year or the last five or so).  If that happens, it is most likely checkmate on the season unless the defense and running game can carry the team (and Darnold does not make any stupid decisions in a lesser role of handing the ball off).

What they would have done had they not had Darnold this year involves a lot of speculation that is not worth getting into very deeply.  They probably sign a relatively cheap vet in FA prior to the draft, but which one and where that leads about who they would have drafted and if they would have then pursued Mayfield gets into that minefield of speculation.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, WOW!! said:

The media also said.. He look the worst out of the 4.. Did you miss those articles??

It doesn't matter, he's just out of college the other two aren't winning a damn thing. Facts.

Even IF the other guys could get a ball into the fade drill hoop they weren't as accurate as Corral that's just one out of many examples of why ANY rookie QB is better than those guys especially in a losing team.

Corral should have been the reset button on this sh*t, instead he got set up to fail. He was the least prepared physically for live fire reps. All the QBs had more snaps. It had nothing to do with anything but Rhule. His mental rep training was world class though courtesy of your HC.

Baker, Sam, PJ wouldn't make most NFL rosters. Be honest with yourselves now it'll be less of a Baker meltdown when it happens. 

Edited by rippadonn
  • Poo 1

1 minute ago, rippadonn said:

It doesn't matter, he's just out of college the other two aren't winning a damn thing. Facts.

Even IF the other guys could get a ball into the fade drill hoop they weren't as accurate as Corral that's just one out of many examples of why ANY rookie QB is better than those guys especially in a losing team.

Corral should have been the reset button on this sh*t, instead he got set up to fail. He was the least prepared physically for live fire reps. His mental rep training was world class though courtesy of your HC.

Baker, Sam, PJ wouldn't make most NFL rosters. Be honest with yourselves now it'll less of a Baker meltdown when it happens. 

And that is your problem.. You can't read the room at all.. Or see the situation for what it is..

For a coaching staff on a win or go situation.. They can't afford to wait on Corral to learn how to run a NFL offense.. So it does matter that he looked the worst on the mental parts of the position.. 

And you're capping thinking that the 1st and 3rd pick of a NFL draft 4 years ago isn't making a roster.. Stop now and rethink your argument..