• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Am I crazy or has Lovett out played Chuba?

Zod

My biggest problem with Chuba is that despite his size (6'1 over 200), he's not one for contact.  He goes down pretty much as soon as he is touched, according to my observation.  That was true last year, and it still appears to be true.  Now, I know he's still young, but I should have seen some improvement in that area after a year of NFL weight training.  I would be completely cool if he didn't make the final roster.

12 hours ago, Stuart Smith said:

I see I am not alone in remembering Chubba was Rhule’s wife’s pick. Joke on draft night because he did so well against Baylor. 

I bet Rhule regrets making that joke now - so many fans have taken it literally. 

Hubbard ran for 2k yards in 2019 (before his injury), including going for 170 yards against Baylor. The pick was justified. 

6 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

I mean Chinn, shi, Brady, Brandon smith, Keith Taylor, and tommy tremble seem to be solid mid round pickups.

Chinn is exceptional but the 2nd round isn't "mid round."

Shi, BC and Tremble are potential long term starter material. 

The book is still out on Taylor and Smith. TBD.

I am not suggesting we have been incapable of drafting anyone outside of the 1st round but that their success level seems to be rather Hurney-esque.

Just now, OldhamA said:

I bet Rhule regrets making that joke now - so many fans have taken it literally. 

Hubbard ran for 2k yards in 2019 (before his injury), including going for 170 yards against Baylor. The pick was justified. 

It wasn't exactly a joke.  He retold a conversation between him and his wife regarding Hubbard. He said he and his wife were talking and she mentioned how good Chuba looked when he played against Baylor and that the Panthers should think about drafting him.  Obviously she has no power on this team and Rhule certainly could have kept that conversation to himself.  Possibly the Panthers were planning on taking him anyway.  Point being, unless Rhule fabricated the story, the yes, Mrs. Rhule "told" him to draft Cuba.  I bet now Rhule wishes he had never shared the story with the media. 

Also offensive stats in the Big XII are often inflated...it's a 'heavy on offense and lite on defense' conference historically.  That's why Texas Tech QBs rarely pan out in the NFL (Mahomes being one of the very few) even though they put up stupid stats just about every season.  Spread offenses create natural running lanes and with more DBs than LBs on the field, getting to the second level and breaking some tackles is a bit easier than running against defenses, say, in the Big 10.

21 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

College stats don't equal NFL success. Hubbard is a very obvious example of that.

7 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Jesus.....what's the scoop?

He was heavily recruited by Matt himself and signed to Baylor. When Matt got the Panthers job, he decommitted and transfered to Penn State.  They stayed in touch while he was in college and Matt and him are *tight

Edited by saX man
  • Beer 1

I would imagine mid to late draft picks don't have a high success rate in general.  I doubt it's just a Panthers thing.  That range is usually special teamers/depth players.  That's why I'm all for using one on OL every year.  Norwell, BC (although I think he was a 3rd), now possible Mayes all seem like good players (Mayes is still undecided but looks good so far).  The Pats usually do a good job developing quality OL with late round picks.

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

TBH, outside the first round it seems like we are making a very Hurney-esque effort. We seem to be using later round "swing for the fences" strategy of recruiting outlier athletes. 

I'm not anti-high caliber athlete but it does seem like we often prioritize measurables over playing ability.  

Don't kid yourself even the first round picks haven't been good Fit is a sham GM who should be replaced when Matt is he couldn't get a gm job for 25 years you know who else couldn't? Dave Gettleman

• Poo 1

3 minutes ago, DMathematics said:

Don't kid yourself even the first round picks haven't been good Fit is a sham GM who should be replaced when Matt is he couldn't get a gm job for 25 years you know who else couldn't? Dave Gettleman

I don't think it's very fair to judge Fitterer yet since he is more of an assistant GM than a real GM. Once Rhule is gone and assuming he is finally able to claim a traditional GM role, then he can be judged accordingly. 

Rhule has final say, so I believe he does deserve final blame. I am a little skeptical of Fitterer but he isn't getting the same opportunity that most NFL GM's are.

• Beer 1

15 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I feel like too many of our draft picks just wouldn't be taken by most other teams.

Hubbard being one 

And it feels like we are always taking these guys (chuba, long snapper, TMJ) instead of addressing our needs on the line. Starting center,  All-pro guard or a skill guy that we might cut in two years, hmmm?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think it's very fair to judge Fitterer yet since he is more of an assistant GM than a real GM. Once Rhule is gone and assuming he is finally able to claim a traditional GM role, then he can be judged accordingly. 

Rhule has final say, so I believe he does deserve final blame. I am a little skeptical of Fitterer but he isn't getting the same opportunity that most NFL GM's are.

His tittle is GM if he's not being offered GM duties than he should've never taken the job he's tied to this roster construction as much as Matt as far as I'm concerned. My issue is he can't even get the basic GM'in down what's our direction? Does he understand comp picks? We sure talk about them a lot but have never gotten any under the Rhule tender What about the crazy trades? This guy just throws away picks "In on every deal" but no deal has payed of for us yet.. 

• Poo 1