• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corral vs the rest of the rookie field

micnificent28

11 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

He looked like a rookie who didn’t get many reps which is exactly what he was. He looked awful the first game and better his second. He will keep getting better with more experience. Let’s see what Baker can do this year which will help dictate how we handle Corral in the future. 

I agree 100%

6 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

The next coach won’t have any attachment to him. So his only bet for success is Rhule. I highly doubt was against drafting corral. 

I don't think anyone on this team is draft against Rhule's will. He is the GM, after all.

I am just not certain he was really viewing Corral the way that Fitterer talked about him.

I do agree that the next staff is even less likely to be behind his path to being the "future" at QB. He's in an unfortunate situation. While he obviously hasn't looked good, I do wonder if his contemporaries from the 2022 QB class wouldn't have also looked bad or struggled if they had been in Carolina.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

Rhule has to worry about QB1 right now. Corral, unfortunately was never going to get any development this season.  It's not that Rhule didn't want the kid. He has to focus on who's starting this season not next season. 

Yeah, this dude is fighting for his job. what does he really care about a guy the GM said might be the future of the position?

Don't forget that he also intimated in a PC that Corral wasn't playing up to the level that dicated he should be getting more reps. Not saying I agree with the sentiment but it does show how little Rhule cared about spending time developing him. 

After all he had that Darnold vs. Mayfield competition to use reps on in practice. 

Stephen A Smith Eye Roll GIF by ESPN

10 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Wholly disagree, I’ve watched nearly every snap from Willis, Howell, and Thompson and they are playing with the same quality of OL players that Corral played with. Titan fans were asking for Willis to come out tonight with how bad Tennessee’s OL was playing.

Elite players will step in a get it done. It’s quite obvious that the game is way too quick for Corral right now.

We're all frustrated. But the simple fact of the matter is PFF had us as the 31st ranked OL in the NFL last year. We consistently gave our only MVP in franchise history slop outside of his rookie season with Gross and the Super Bowl run. We want a franchise QB. We may end up drafting another next season. Baker looks to hopefully be serviceable in the meantime. But we have got to end this agonizing run of fail in building a real oline if we want to make these desires reality.

• Beer 1

29 minutes ago, frankw said:

We're all frustrated. But the simple fact of the matter is PFF had us as the 31st ranked OL in the NFL last year. We consistently gave our only MVP in franchise history slop outside of his rookie season with Gross and the Super Bowl run. We want a franchise QB. We may end up drafting another next season. Baker looks to hopefully be serviceable in the meantime. But we have got to end this agonizing run of fail in building a real oline if we want to make these desires reality.

A number 1 overall pick labeled as “serviceable” 😂 what are we looking for.. a super sayian god cam-like prospect? News flash… they are once in a decade.  If Baker is “serviceable”, then we don’t need another QB. He will be here long-term. If not.. he will be wearing another jersey next year.  

Edited by Ezrider1423

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

If he gets this team above .500 Rhule will get another season.  You might as well accept it.

I think the chances of that happening are fairly low, TBH. The schedule doesn't look like that will be an easy task and this is a very thin roster at some very critical positions. 

It may take a Hurculean effort from Baker to drag us to a winning record.

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, Ezrider1423 said:

A number 1 overall pick labeled as “serviceable” 😂 what are we looking for.. a super sayian god cam-like prospect? News flash… they are once in a decade.  If Baker is “serviceable”, then we don’t need another QB. He will be here long-term. If not.. he will be wearing another jersey next year.  

For all your bluster about negative fans you're pretty reactionary yourself bub. I didn't bash Baker I just stated the current reality of the situation. He still has to go out there and prove himself to be considered elite same as any other QB would regardless of where they were drafted.

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think the chances of that happening are fairly low, TBH. The schedule doesn't look like that will be an easy task and this is a very thin roster at some very critical positions. 

It may take a Hurculean effort from Baker to drag us to a winning record.

It will take more than Baker playing well to get a winning record.  It's going to take everyone playing well and a lot of luck avoiding the injury bug.

• Beer 2

54 minutes ago, frankw said:

PFF ranked our starting OL… they didn’t rank our backups… and while our backups aren’t good… it’s foolish to assume that other teams backups are good.

Willis was sacked 4 times yesterday and Howell was sacked 5 times.

Both still managed to put up impressive performances.

We can’t keep putting the blame on the OL when we just saw Mayfield ball a few nights ago while getting pressured every other snap.

Corral faces an uphill battle… anyone who believes otherwise is kidding themselves. He wasn’t asked to run a real offense in college, all his reads were quick reads, and a lot of his passes were slants and quick outs.

I’ve said before that he has tools but if he can’t process the game quick enough then he’s got no shot at being an NFL QB (like Darnold).

I think we are also seeing why people liked Willis and Howell. Both played behind the worst offensive lines in college football last year so they are used to being under pressure and they also have the wheels to make something out of nothing once they pocket collapses.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 1

12 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

He looked like a rookie who didn’t get many reps which is exactly what he was. He looked awful the first game and better his second. He will keep getting better with more experience. Let’s see what Baker can do this year which will help dictate how we handle Corral in the future. 

I agree 

A lot of these comments don’t seem to be directly about Corral. 

Seems more like some people are arguing because they are emotionally attached to him being successful, while the other side is arguing from being annoyed by those who are emotionally attached to him being successful. 

It’s too early. That’s the answer.  He could bust. He could have had a bad 2.5 quarters. His teammates could have been blowing their assignments. 

The college tape indicates he’s a player, so I’m confident he will have value for us.