• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper's about to be wrong again

Mr. Scot

With the new number rules, retiring numbers isn't quite as bad anymore.

Someone like Smitty 100% deserves to be retired, greatest player in franchise history and will be in the HOF, and as far as I'm aware, nobody has worn 89 since he left, so it they might as well just make it official by now.  Although I could see Tapper having told Smitty that they're going to do it, but wait until he makes the HOF so they can do it all at once and have an amazing pre-game, since I really don't think it will take more than 3 or 4 more years till he gets in.

1, 59, and 58 should all be done too, but I can see the argument of retiring 4 numbers before we're even 30 years of a franchise and without a SB win might be a bit much.

So I'd be okay if they stopped after Smitty for now and maybe/hopefully unofficially retire those other numbers with nobody else being able to take them and then revisit in 10 years.

Edited by tukafan21

15 hours ago, Luciu5 said:

Tepper made a comment at one point about the Steelers and listed different HOF'ers. He then pointed out that the Steelers hadn't retired any of their numbers, and how you can't really retire numbers in the NFL because there just aren't enough to be doing that very often at all.

Tepper didn’t decide this though…

17 hours ago, t96 said:

89 should absolutely be retired, along with 51. 

1, 58, 59 I don't believe have been worn since their retirements and they have arguments as well to never be worn again but not as set in stone to me as Smitty and Mills.

I don't really believe in retiring numbers... but if you do then surely you only do it for guys in the Hall of Fame.

• Beer 1

22 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Numbers only need to be retired until that player is dead then no one cares or remembers them anymore 

Good idea, but it would be a hard sell.

"Yeah, thanks for all your pop did.  Sorry he kicked the bucket.  Oh, by the way, his number's unretired."

8 minutes ago, coffee said:

Good idea, but it would be a hard sell.

"Yeah, thanks for all your pop did.  Sorry he kicked the bucket.  Oh, by the way, his number's unretired."

Who cares what the players’s children think? Retiring the number isn’t for them. It’s for the player.