• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Run D Problem: Scheme, Personnel, or Both??

Jay Roosevelt

Our personnel doesn’t work with our scheme. And the 3-3-5 and 3-2-6 are not suitable for a base defense.

Burns-Brown-Ioaniddis as the only 3 down linemen with Wilson/Luvu/Shaq behind and 5 DBs will allow anyone to run over us. 

The 4-3 looks didn’t have Chinn play up in the box either so his skills were unused. 

Awful game plan by Snow with no recognition of our opponent’s strengths and weaknesses.

1 minute ago, poundaway said:

He ran more than Chubb last week.  Maybe he's tired.

I hope so! 🤣 I believe we can still win if Barkley gets over 100 but we have to get off the field on 3rd downs. That's the main problem I have with this defense. It should not be so fuging easy to convert 3rd and longs on us. It should be hard to convert those anyway and we give those up with ease.

• Pie 1

Just now, Darknight said:

I hope so! 🤣 I believe we can still win if Barkley gets over 100 but we have to get off the field on 3rd downs. That's the main problem I have with this defense. It should not be so fuging easy to convert 3rd and longs on us. It should be hard to convert those anyway and we give those up with ease.

If Snow doesn't stack the box more forcing the throw, he's going to get everybody fired.  We don't have the personnel to not adjust the D for the run.  Its like he doesn't trust our secondary.

Here's the thing about Snow:  He's spent 34 years coaching at the college level.  Prior to the Panthers, he had 4 years at the NFL level, all with Detroit.  With that pedigree, it is just possible he can't transition to what schemes, adjustments, and personnel it takes to run an effective defense in the NFL.

34 years is a long time and a lot of instinct to have to overcome.  Honestly, with that level of college experience, it is probably not realistic for him to ever accomplish that.  When the dung hits the fan, people revert to what they know.

I'm 61 and have over 33 years experience in my specific branch of the industry I work in.  I'm not sure I could transition to one of the other branches, and I think the similarities between them are a lot more plentiful than the similarities between NFL and college defenses and tactics.

• Pie 1