• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best/worst PFF grades from Week 3

TheSpecialJuan

1 hour ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Just so we are on the same page, do you think Campen sets the starting OL? Or Rhule?

Without looking I would say McAdoo sets the lineup on offense.  That would include the oline.  But I have a sneaky suspension Rhule has a heavy hand in it.

Campen would get the oline players in shape and well versed in their responsibilities.  He would have a say on what the lineup should be and most likely is at the moment. 

But the offensive performance is solely the responsibility of the OC and he sets the lineup he goes to war with. Having said that I'm not sure how it works in Rhules world. 

9 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

One of us at the very least worked for a college football team and one of the coaches on that staff is now with the Panthers… furthermore many of the coaches on that staff had NFL playing or coaching experience… not one of them was ever given control over personnel decisions… while that wasn’t the NFL by any stretch… I’d take my experience over your opinion any day.

It has always been a formality that head coaches have the ultimate control over the roster and they dictate who starts… while else would you even need a head coach?

I mean congratulations, you listed one position coach in the entire history of the NFL that may or may not have had control over their positional group. I could not verify it, so please feel free to send me a link.

In the meantime, maybe you should look up an NFL head coach’s responsibilities, roster and personnel decisions will be at the top of the list.

Nice back peddle, no where did I say that Campen didn’t have input. I explicitly stated he did. But Rhule makes the ultimate call… that’s why in his press conference, he didn’t say, let me get with Campen and discuss… no, he flat out said who the starters were and who he’s been impressed with (Erving)…  jog my memory, who are the current starters? Also, did Erving make the team? Sure seems like HC Matt Rhule doesn’t have to defer to anyone.

Hell, this article (https://www.nfl.com/_amp/panthers-owner-david-tepper-expected-to-be-patient-with-head-coach-matt-rhule-as) was just posted a couple of days ago and reiterates the fact that Rhule was given full control over the roster… you think that Rhule has full control over the roster yet he doesn’t pick who starts? Get a grip.

So now its a fact that you were a College Coach and you know somebody that knows somebody that knows somebody That coaches in the NFL.. 

I played against and hung Out  and was friends with Mo collins (god rest his soul) so that means I know the inner workings of the NFL as well right??

LOL

Dick Lebeau, Ron Rivera, Richard Williamson, Norv Turner, Jimmy Johnson (Eagles DC), Buddy Ryan, Bruces Arians I can keep naming coordinators and position coaches who had input or control over their part of the roster if you like??

So he didn’t say “I need to talk to Campen before saying the starting OLIne” Means he didn’t talk to Campen already? Hmmmm

new season has not led to a new result for the Carolina Panthers.

Two tough losses to open the season have run the team's losing streak to nine for head coach Matt Rhule dating back to 2021 -- the longest in the NFL. And with the defeats have come the questions about his job status.

Sources informed of the Panthers' thinking say no change is imminent for Rhule, with Panthers owner David Tepper planning to be patient rather than reactionary. But wins must come and improvement must be evident.

With the locker room still believing in Rhule, sources informed of the Panthers' thinking say, and with the team's fight and effort still clear on the field, it would take an epic collapse or a horribly embarrassing outcome to alter the course. That is not to say things can’t happen this season that would change the team's plan -- just not right now.

All of which gives the Panthers time to turn it around.

And there have been some positives. Running back Christian McCaffrey looks like his old self, averaging 5.4 yards per rush. Expect his usage to ramp up. Wide receivers Robbie Anderson and D.J. Moore have impressed. And the defense is in the top 10 in total D.

Baker Mayfield, who Carolina acquired in a highly anticipated trade in July, has a passer rating of just 79.5, and that clearly must improve. The timing has been an issue, which makes sense since he’s only been in town for two months. Mayfield's emergence would help immensely.

But some realities have not been pretty.

Rhule is 10-25 as an NFL head coach, which is the worst record among coaches who have coached at least 20 games since 2020. Among active coaches with 20+ games coached since he began with the Panthers, Rhule has four fewer wins than anyone else.

The Panthers are also 1-25 in games where they allow 17 or more points under Rhule since 2020, the worst record in the NFL in that category.

Upon being hired, Rhule signed a seven-year deal and was given control of the roster -- all an indication of not only power but the team's patience. And that’s how Tepper would like to be. Patient and able to make a decision when it makes sense rather than the on-field product or locker room reaction forcing him to. If the locker room was in chaos, it might be a different story for Rhule.

Instead, it’s just been losses. And if those continue, perhaps this is a topic that will be readdressed. But the hope from all parties is improvement will come.

Follow Ian Rapoport on Twitter.

Where in this article does it say 

No input from coaching staff on roster..

Rhule doesn’t listen to his coaching staff on roster..

That Fitt or Tepper didn’t force Rhule to get a more experienced staff..

don’t worry Ill wait Coach..

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, frankw said:

We had a bottom two oline last season it was never going to suddenly make a jump to top ten or even top 15 in just one season. We could have and should have been investing more draft picks in the oline early but instead our first order of business with a new head coach who was supposed to swing the pendelum to the offensive side of the ball was an all defense draft and we are now lucky to stop the run at all despite those resources being used. I'm sorry if you perceive having to face reality as "negativity" but that's life.

Ok, I will be civil here.  We need to give this OL time to get better.  There isn’t any rookie OT that doesn’t struggle.  Thinking one offseason was going to fix things is wishful.  We are building a team and it takes time.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

Campen has not held a gig for more than year over the last half decade.  

he is like McAdoo in some ways.  Specifically, it is a hard sell that a hot seat micromanager HC is going to let coaches he doesn’t really know….do whatever they want. 

I’m sure Rhule’s thumbprint continues to be all over every aspect of this team.  Which has been the reporting on Rhule. 

It has also been reported that he has been advised to let go of duties and hire a more experienced staff .. Which is exactly what happened.. It’s also been reported That Fitt has taken more power when it comes to the roster as well..

8 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

So now its a fact that you were a College Coach and you know somebody that knows somebody that knows somebody That coaches in the NFL.. 

I played against and hung Out  and was friends with Mo collins (god rest his soul) so that means I know the inner workings of the NFL as well right??

LOL

Dick Lebeau, Ron Rivera, Richard Williamson, Norv Turner, Jimmy Johnson (Eagles DC), Buddy Ryan, Bruces Arians I can keep naming coordinators and position coaches who had input or control over their part of the roster if you like??

So he didn’t say “I need to talk to Campen before saying the starting OLIne” Means he didn’t talk to Campen already? Hmmmm

new season has not led to a new result for the Carolina Panthers.

Two tough losses to open the season have run the team's losing streak to nine for head coach Matt Rhule dating back to 2021 -- the longest in the NFL. And with the defeats have come the questions about his job status.

Sources informed of the Panthers' thinking say no change is imminent for Rhule, with Panthers owner David Tepper planning to be patient rather than reactionary. But wins must come and improvement must be evident.

With the locker room still believing in Rhule, sources informed of the Panthers' thinking say, and with the team's fight and effort still clear on the field, it would take an epic collapse or a horribly embarrassing outcome to alter the course. That is not to say things can’t happen this season that would change the team's plan -- just not right now.

All of which gives the Panthers time to turn it around.

And there have been some positives. Running back Christian McCaffrey looks like his old self, averaging 5.4 yards per rush. Expect his usage to ramp up. Wide receivers Robbie Anderson and D.J. Moore have impressed. And the defense is in the top 10 in total D.

Baker Mayfield, who Carolina acquired in a highly anticipated trade in July, has a passer rating of just 79.5, and that clearly must improve. The timing has been an issue, which makes sense since he’s only been in town for two months. Mayfield's emergence would help immensely.

But some realities have not been pretty.

Rhule is 10-25 as an NFL head coach, which is the worst record among coaches who have coached at least 20 games since 2020. Among active coaches with 20+ games coached since he began with the Panthers, Rhule has four fewer wins than anyone else.

The Panthers are also 1-25 in games where they allow 17 or more points under Rhule since 2020, the worst record in the NFL in that category.

Upon being hired, Rhule signed a seven-year deal and was given control of the roster -- all an indication of not only power but the team's patience. And that’s how Tepper would like to be. Patient and able to make a decision when it makes sense rather than the on-field product or locker room reaction forcing him to. If the locker room was in chaos, it might be a different story for Rhule.

Instead, it’s just been losses. And if those continue, perhaps this is a topic that will be readdressed. But the hope from all parties is improvement will come.

Follow Ian Rapoport on Twitter.

Where in this article does it say 

No input from coaching staff on roster..

Rhule doesn’t listen to his coaching staff on roster..

That Fitt or Tepper didn’t force Rhule to get a more experienced staff..

don’t worry Ill wait Coach..

Figured as much, you’d rather discuss my personal life rather than the premise.

So tell me, who put Elflein at center last year? Campen? All the way from Houston?

The offensive line looks the same outside of Corbett (who has no competition) and Ekwonu, who was obviously going to start at LT.

The only thing you’ve remotely said that is true is that Elflein improved because of BC and Corbett… that’s backed up by the fact that he played poorly at center last year.

This year, there just happens to be a better option stuck to the bench because Rhule is going with his guy from last year.

I mean for fug’s sake… don’t stop with Elflein… who has Chinn playing safety? Rhule or Wilks?

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 2

13 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Ok, I will be civil here.  We need to give this OL time to get better.  There isn’t any rookie OT that doesn’t struggle.  Thinking one offseason was going to fix things is wishful.  We are building a team and it takes time.  

I can agree with that. But let's be real about what got us to this point. When we fired Ron and hired Matt we were supposed to move away from the era of bandaids on the oline ie the Dave Gettleman dollar store specials while we invested premium resources in the defense. Going out and signing Erving and Elflein to overpays on the first day of free agency was more of a past regime move and not a forward thinking innovative regime who would finally invest in the trenches to protect our signal caller. In the meantime I hope this group makes strides but I know if we don't switch gears to the offense beginning next year the same old same old will await us.

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Figured as much, you’d rather discuss my personal life rather than the premise.

So tell me, who put Elflein at center last year? Campen? All the way from Houston?

You brought your coaching credentials up not me.. The fact you tried to use your personal life as facts to why your opinions matter on a football MB is weak IMO.. LOL

They actual had him at Guard 1st Pardis was the center.. And Erving was The starting LT.. The fact that he’s on the bench and was playing 3rd team.. Could be a sign of Campen Influence.. Also the fact they even gave BC a shot at LT when Rhule refuse to all last year.. Could be a sign of Campen influence.. How about the fact they had Oline competition instead of giving starter spots to newly signed FA like they did last year.. Could be a Campen influence..

Funny part about this whole debate is I’m giving Campen all of the credit for clearly improved OLine play and Oline decision.. Not Rhule but you want to give it to Rhule for some strange reason…

especially when actions show they are doing thing differently then they have the 1st 2 years of Rhule term…

Edited by WOW!!
  • Beer 1

19 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

It has also been reported that he has been advised to let go of duties and hire a more experienced staff .. Which is exactly what happened.. It’s also been reported That Fitt has taken more power when it comes to the roster as well..

Rhule is Rhule at the end of the day.   Most coaches are what they are largely.   

and micromanaging coaches largely can’t help themselves.  So again.  It’s a hard sell a hot seat micromanager HC is going to let dudes he has no real relationship with do whatever they want.  

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Rhule is Rhule at the end of the day.   Most coaches are what they are largely.   

and micromanaging coaches largely can’t help themselves.  So again.  It’s a hard sell a hot seat micromanager HC is going to let dudes he has no real relationship with do whatever they want.  

Your Opinion.. I saw Ron change when his job was in jeopardy and now I see Rhule getting force into decision he wouldn’t make on his own..

No facts just My opinion..