• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Legit, non knee jerk question.. is Baker even a capable backup at this point worth using a roster spot and 5th rounder on?

22 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not a big Mayfield fan, but to be fair I have to wonder how he'd look in an offense that wasn't designed and run by Ben McAdoo.

Well he can't throw the ball accurately, his passes are frequently tipped at the LOS, he locks on to his first read and he turtles up at the first sign of pressure - so I'd suggest he'd look much the same.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I posted something similar in another thread, but let me expand on it a little bit.  Removing the two TD's our defense has scored, the following quarterbacks lead offenses scoring more points than the Carolina Mayfields:

Jared Goff, Jalen Hurts, Jacoby Brissett, Trevor Lawrence, Marcus Mariota, Tua Tagovailoa / Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, Geno Smith, Jameis Winston / Andy Dalton, Daniel Jones / Tyrod Taylor, Joe Flacco / Zack Wilson, Ryan Tannehill, Mitch Trubisky, Mac Jones / Brian Hoyer, Carson Wentz, Cooper Rush, Jimmy Garrapolo, Matt Stafford.

This isn't a list of the top 10 QB's.  These guys are "ok", but their offenses score more points.

The problem isn't our QB.  Mayfield has been poor, yes.  But he's good enough to win games for us if we set him up for success.  Somehow, our staff fail to make this most logical of connections.  

• Pie 2

It's not just Baker. To go from over 3500 yards a year to this is way more than just Baker.

Sam is still trash but even he is better than last year...not much but some.

Every QB brought in has played their worst under a Rhule coached team. Someone else already said it. Corral was probibly saved by IR from Rhule or he would be out there getting ruined soon.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

21 hours ago, Carolina Cajun said:

I'll get pood, but I'd say he's alright, but the offense has to be tailored to him.  Basically, what they did in Cleveland, the high Play action and the roll outs that get him away from being behind the line and open up more passing lanes for him.  I don't think his ceiling is high, but that's what it'd take.  Fwiw, there's a lot of qbs who need systems that fit their skill set.  Cam wouldn't have thrived running timing based wco, and drew Brees would have died trying to run the Coryell offense with him often as a runner, so scheme is important.  I think macadoos lack of scheme shows a fundamental inability to adjust to personel.

Totally agree. It could be that MacAdoo built the playbook with Darnold’s skill set in mind and had to add some elements of things that Baker could run(RPO) afterwards to supplement. The offensive scheme does not seem to be a good match for what Baker does well.

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

I posted something similar in another thread, but let me expand on it a little bit.  Removing the two TD's our defense has scored, the following quarterbacks lead offenses scoring more points than the Carolina Mayfields:

Jared Goff, Jalen Hurts, Jacoby Brissett, Trevor Lawrence, Marcus Mariota, Tua Tagovailoa / Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, Geno Smith, Jameis Winston / Andy Dalton, Daniel Jones / Tyrod Taylor, Joe Flacco / Zack Wilson, Ryan Tannehill, Mitch Trubisky, Mac Jones / Brian Hoyer, Carson Wentz, Cooper Rush, Jimmy Garrapolo, Matt Stafford.

This isn't a list of the top 10 QB's.  These guys are "ok", but their offenses score more points.

The problem isn't our QB.  Mayfield has been poor, yes.  But he's good enough to win games for us if we set him up for success.  Somehow, our staff fail to make this most logical of connections.  

Missing open receivers is missing connections. He's a grown man who sucks at his job and is rich. He doesn't need your protection, or apologies for his trash play.

Baker belongs on the bench. 

• Pie 1

30 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Missing open receivers is missing connections. He's a grown man who sucks at his job and is rich. He doesn't need your protection, or apologies for his trash play.

Baker belongs on the bench. 

So, you prefer Sam Darnold?  PJ Walker?