• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Graziano: "Lots of buzz" Panthers could fire Rhule

Mr. Scot

I'd be surprised if Rhule gets fired this early. He'll nab a college job and take a good chunk of the staff with him (definitely Phil Snow). You'll be left with McAdoo, Wilks, and a skeleton crew to finish out the majority of the season. That's a long time to try to keep the organization held together and the locker room from falling apart. That's why coaches are very rarely fired this early in the season outside of big time off field concerns. Tepper has made his bed, time to lie in it. 

2 hours ago, Pakmeng said:

Shula worked well to maximize Newton with limited offensive weapons. Cam was never going ti be a dominant passer.

Schula wasn't great by any means but nothing improved at all by replacing him.

In 2018, under Norv Turner, Cam was in route to another dominant season, and the offense was scoring over 27 points per game before the infamous Pittsburgh game when Cam got hurt and the season fell apart. 

They had something special going. 

I do agree that anything after that hasn’t been better than Shula though. 

• Pie 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/08/how-hot-is-matt-rhules-seat/

As the Panthers face the strong possibility of  1-3 start becoming a 1-6 hole (the 49ers, Rams, and Bucs are the next three opponents), it’s time to pay close attention to the tenure of coach Matt Rhule.

Rhule was arguably saved by his buyout after a substandard second season. As his third year as an NFL head coach begins to crumble, will owner David Tepper dump Rhule during the season or wait until it ends?

Here’s a reason to do it sooner than later. If Rhule lands a job in the coming NCAA hiring cycle, the Panthers would get a dollar-for-dollar credit as to any remaining buyout. If Tepper keeps Rhule until after the season, the college jobs might be filled.

55 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Yep

And the sad part, no one on here wants Rhule to fail, it’s not in anyone’s best interest but  if we are all honest, we knew the guy was a failure waiting to happen from the day he was hired 

Too, never ever trust anyone, much less an NFL coach who talks so much  

He talks and talks and talks and used the ultimate business phrase ‘repeatable process for sustained excellence’ and Tepper took the bait, hook line and sinker 

as for both Tepper and Rhule in the NFL ‘all hat, no cattle’

Maybe you had reservations, but most people saying they “knew Rhule would fail” are revising history. 

He was one of the hottest HC names that year, and many were excited to have an owner who “was aggressive to get the guy he wanted.”

People were by and large even more excited when Brady was hired too. 

• Pie 2

36 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'd be surprised if Rhule gets fired this early. He'll nab a college job and take a good chunk of the staff with him (definitely Phil Snow). You'll be left with McAdoo, Wilks, and a skeleton crew to finish out the majority of the season. That's a long time to try to keep the organization held together and the locker room from falling apart. That's why coaches are very rarely fired this early in the season outside of big time off field concerns. Tepper has made his bed, time to lie in it. 

I can see it happens if a college teams take on some of his salary, but that would be reason.

If Rhule gets fired, I want it to be announced by Fitt, showing he is now in charge of the new coaching search etc. I think him and Dan can make a very good combo. Between the two of them I think/hope they can finally find a QB. I think he’s been somewhat held back by Rhule. 

6 minutes ago, Martin said:

I can see it happens if a college teams take on some of his salary, but that would be reason.

A college team basically paying Tepper to fire Rhule a bit earlier? What college program with the resources to both pay off Tepper and pay Rhule is going to want Matt Rhule THAT bad? I just can't see that at all.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Maybe you had reservations, but most people saying they “knew Rhule would fail” are revising history. 

He was one of the hottest HC names that year, and many were excited to have an owner who “was aggressive to get the guy he wanted.”

This is accurate. I was more than willing to give him a chance and supported him through the firing of Brady. However, the fact that nothing got better after the Brady firing and the way he handled cam coming back did it for me. That was the clearest evidence that the guy is just a talking head with no clear idea how to run and organization. 

45 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

I didn't like hiring a college coach...

Hated giving him full power...

Was concerned about Brady's lack of experience...

But once the hires were done, I did what I always do and hoped for the best. And heck, through season one things were looking okay. It actually turned out better than I might have expected.

By the middle of season two though, I could see it wasn't working even before Brady was fired. Lord knows it certainly started out looking great, but then suddenly we were losing to teams who had no business beating us. In some cases, losing badly.

Rhule just isn't qualified to coach in the NFL.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

23 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I didn't like hiring a college coach...

Hated giving him full power...

Was concerned about Brady's lack of experience...

But once the hires were done, I did what I always do and hoped for the best. And heck, through season one things were looking okay. It actually turned out better than I might have expected.

By the middle of season two though, I could see it wasn't working even before Brady was fired. Lord knows it certainly started out looking great, but then suddenly we were losing to teams who had no business beating us. In some cases, losing badly.

Rhule just isn't qualified to coach in the NFL.

All reasonable things to be concerned about. I was more addressing the general vibe. At least from what I observed. 

I remember being optimistic and appreciated Tepper being aggressive and throwing the money around. 

I equally was concerned with the full control thing, but that, I’m sure, was a big factor in convincing him to come here. 

We know for sure now. I’m ready to move on to the next coaching chapter. 

2 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

All reasonable things to be concerned about. I was more addressing the general vibe. At least from what I observed.

I remember being optimistic and appreciated Tepper being aggressive and throwing the money around.

I equally was concerned with the full control thing, but that, I’m sure, was a big factor in convincing him to come here.

We know for sure now. I’m ready to move on to the next coaching chapter. 

I remember cringing a little when they told the stories about his interview.

It reminded me of an elderly person falling for a life insurance pitch.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1