• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Snow Fired

UNCrules2187

Just now, Fox007 said:

LOL gogogogogo now spray for roaches

Lmaooo Luke Kuechly’s CPI Security finally coming in and evicting the criminals.  

Snow is a better coach than Rhule, but him and Wilks don’t get along so this isn’t surprising.  Rhule and Snow are Thing 1 and Thing 2.  Thought Snow would resign instead of getting the axe, though 

• Pie 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• PMH4OWPW7JD2TDGWZKTOYL2T3E.jpg

• Topics

• I found an article that does a good job of explaining the position.  The position, in terms of athleticism and physicality, is less demanding than G or T.  So stepping into that role from G or T should not be a physical challenge, in general. However, a C must know how to snap 2 ways (it is not that difficult, to be honest) and must read defenses and call schemes.  They are the vocal leader of the OL--so maybe Corbett and BC have always been  out of position.  When Bryce talked about Corbett talking a lot and asking questions during film sessions when he was injured, this is what he meant.  I will bold the parts of this that apply to Corbett in a positive way.  It seems to me that the mental or cerebral challenges are the most important skill a center needs--if a person has played G, they (physically) will not be asked to do more--they will actually be asked to do less--physically.  Mentally and vocally, however, they must be leaders, quick decision makers, and students of the game---QUARTERBACKS, in other words.   Frankly, after reading this, I see why they feel confident in Austin Corbett and Brady Christensen at Center.  Both should be better players there.  The Center Position in Football: An In-Depth Guide Posted by Throw Deep Publishing Staff on June 23, 2022 Centers are both the underdog of their offensive line counterparts – and the brains behind the entire operation of the offensive line unit. Centers often find their way to the position being a little less naturally gifted than the guards and tackles positioned to their left and right. Usually a bit undersized, or a step slower, centers make up for this with a combination of high football IQ and gritty style of play that allows them to be the leader up front for the offense. Coaches talk a lot about their great players being extensions of coaches on the field, and centers have to be exactly that. The offensive line’s duty is much less fixated than that of skill players such as the running backs and wide receivers. They have calls in place, but ones that vary completely on the look that the defense shows on each and every play, whether it is a run or pass play. This is where the center comes in – as it falls on him to be the lead communicator and direct traffic for each and every play. The physical demands of the center position are plenty to speak of as well in their own right. Snapping the football, executing blocks in the trenches, and working up to linebackers are all part of the gig for the center position. Below will uncover even further the detailed demands of the position, and the crucial role the position plays in the success of an offense. What does a Center do in Football? As the team gets up to the line of scrimmage, it is the job of the center to direct his offensive line counterparts in the right direction to execute the play. He must be prepared to call out pass protections, identify the middle linebacker, and ensure the OL is on track in the run game to block the correct defenders. He has no choice but to be an extremely vocal leader, taking responsibility to put the offense in successful spots. As offenses go faster and faster in today’s game of football, the center must be a quick decision maker, which comes with intense film work, and deep studies of opposing defenses heading into each game. All of this shows the high-level parts of the job the center possesses before the play even begins. Moving to the physical elements of the job, the center is tasked with snapping the ball every play, getting the ball safely back to the quarterback, and immediately being prepared to go toe to toe against heavy interior defensive lineman. Whether it’s working a combination block up to linebacker level, occasionally pulling as a lead blocker, or picking up blitzes in pass protection, the center must be both athletic and strong enough to battle all game long against opposing defenses.     What are some other names for the Center Position? There aren't a lot of other popular nicknames for the center position in football, but they are sometimes referred to as the quarterbacks of the offensive line, since they have to make a lot of calls and "direct traffic" so to speak with the other four men at the line of scrimmage. What are the Skills and Body Type needed to play the Center in Football? Skills Football IQ  (Both Christensen and Corbett seem to be very smart--Corbett seems to be a student of the game) Leadership  (Based on Young's comments, Corbett is a leader in the film room and that will transfer to the field) Agility  (Guards require more agility than centers) Strength (lower body strength is key here, but both have shorter arms--arm length is less of an issue for Centers than T or G) Run-Blocking (Guards are usually better run blockers than centers--it is where they make their money--so I do not expect either to be a liability as a run blocker) Pass-Blocking  (Although shorter and more compact, Corbett has the longer arms--33 1/8" vs. Christensen's 32 1/4"--physically, Corbett is best suited to play center considering his physical make up--see below) Shotgun and Under-Center Snapping:  (This can be problematic if the mental aspects overshadow the perfunctory execution of tasks, but snapping is something that takes reps.  It may involve different hand padding/tape/gloves than usual, but nobody is physically unable to snap a ball to the QB standing five yards behind.  Few can get open, throw a 50-yard dime, or kick a field goal--but everyone can snap a football.  The issue is, of course, perfecting the timing, accuracy, etc. That can be done with reps.  I have no doubt that Corbett and Christensen have been doing it for months now.) Not all offensive lineman can be a center due to the mental demands of the position. Centers possess high-level football knowledge and leadership within the offensive line unit. Body Type (General Estimate) Height: 6’1-6’4 Weight: 310-325 Pounds Build: Thick, Compact Centers tend to be a bit undersized and less athletic compared to the offensive line. They often make up for this with more of a compact build combined with toughness and physicality. MHS Epiphany: A good example:  Ryan Kalil.  When we drafted him, we tried him (during his rookie year) at guard.  He sucked.  the reason?  If you ever talked to Kalil, you would realize that he is very intelligent.  Sarcastic, but intelligent.  He was not that big (maybe 285 to 290 when he played) and not tall (listed at 6'2" but he was 6'0"--maybe 6'1".  He struggled at guard because, physically, he was inferior.  At center, however, he could use his brain and leadership skills, so he became an all pro there.  He was a center--full stop.  Better athletes owned him as a guard, but as a Center, he was superior because he directed traffic effectively. I hope this makes people understand the decision the Panthers made.  It makes theoretical sense, when you think about it.  Based on interviews and insights, I think Corbett and Christensen are smart--I hope that translates to football smarts.  Not sure about Mays.  Pretty sure Zavala does not have it.  I bet Bozeman did not have it.
    • Scott Fitterer would have turned this trade down 😂
    • Here's the clip. I don't see the issue everyone seems to be worried about. He's been working this position for several years and now he'll prove it. https://youtu.be/tuul7aBtbGA?si=k-gyD4adheHnnMXu