• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Official HC Candidate Thread

methodtoll

44 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The actual NFL team that interviewed him a few months ago disagreed.

He may have wanted too much control.  Who knows?  All I know is he had a good run when he was a head coach.  I'm not wanting to give our new HC any roster control so that pretty much eliminates him anyway.

31 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Couple of quibbles here:

DeMeco Ryans is in his 2nd year as 49ers DC.

While I wouldn't be thrilled Dan Quinn, I'm not sure I'd say he "wasn't very good" the first time. He was 46-44 with Atlanta, obviously they had the 28-3 Super Bowl meltdown (I might put that more on Kyle Shanahan than Quinn), but he also had the Falcons back in the playoffs the year after and they were a few yards away from going back to the NFC Championship game.

Correct on it being his second year as a DC, but still only his sixth year overall. That just isn't enough experience for me.

To be honest, I prefer guys that have even more experience than what you see among the top candidates now. But that's the way the league is going...

1 hour ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Couple of quibbles here:

DeMeco Ryans is in his 2nd year as 49ers DC.

While I wouldn't be thrilled Dan Quinn, I'm not sure I'd say he "wasn't very good" the first time. He was 46-44 with Atlanta, obviously they had the 28-3 Super Bowl meltdown (I might put that more on Kyle Shanahan than Quinn), but he also had the Falcons back in the playoffs the year after and they were a few yards away from going back to the NFC Championship game.

Only way i will go along with Dan quinn, if he brings Kyle Shanahan with like the failcons days..... 

** correction I would take him as a DC or DL coach, no strings..

Edited by Basbear

Dan Quinn is about the only retread I'd be interested in other than Brian Flores, but I'd prefer an offensive minded coach to any DC.

My favorite is Shane Steichen, but I'd settle for Ken Dorsey or Eric Bieniemy. I just like Steichen's history developing young QBs and making the most out of the talent he has.

Those are two things this franchise has never really had.

While we're at it, here are some potentially available assistants from staffs whose coaches are or may be on the hot seat.

Frank Reich, OC or QB Coach

Pep Hamilton, QB Coach

Ken Zampese, QB Coach

Ben McDaniels, WR Coach

Juan Castillo, OL Coach

Hal Hunter, OL Coach

John Matsko, OL Coach

Sean Kugler, OL Coach

Kevin Mawae, OL Coach

Jack Del Rio, DC

Gus Bradley, DC

Jeff Zgonina, DL Coach

Matt Burke, DL Coach

Richard Smith, LB Coach

Billy Davis, LB Coach

Vance Joseph, DB Coach

Chris Harris, DB Coach

Mike Mitchell, DB Coach

Bubba Ventrone, ST Coach

Jeff Rodgers, ST Coach

I don't want any retreads with average win records. Look what Ron has done for the Commanders, below-average. Some of the former HC are stuck in their ways. The only retreads that would be candidates are ones with winning records/pedigrees (ex. Andy Reid, maybe McCarthy, even he is debatable)

We need new blood and energy on the offense. Scoring points is what wins in the NFL now, no matter how good your defense is, it can't be on the field for 60 mins. 

13 hours ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

I know this board would be mad but I would love Demeco Ryans

That’s my preference too.  I think it’s a perfect fit.  As a former player he would have a lot of respect plus he’s young and can relate.  Besides Rhule who was basically a rah rah PR guy every single head coach we’ve had was a defensive one.  It’s our culture.  

One more breakdown (on slightly different terms)

Guys who are ready right now

- Don Martindale
- Rich Bisaccia
- Frank Reich (if he's fired)
- Dan Quinn
- Sean Payton

Guys with current connections to the Panthers

- Dan Quinn
- Sean Payton
- Ken Dorsey
- Ben Johnson
- Shane Steichen

Guys I'd like to see more of in their current roles before making them a head coach

- Ken Dorsey
- Ben Johnson
- Brian Callahan
- Kellen Moore
- Mike LaFleur
- Mike Kafka
- Frank Smith
- Demeco Ryans
- Jerod Mayo
- Kellen Moore
- Byron Leftwich
- Frank Smith
- Liam Coen

Guys on the defensive side of the ball

- Jonathan Gannon
- Patrick Graham
- Lou Anarumo
- Jerod Mayo

Guys who I'm not big fans of but who potentially could be candidates

- Dan Quinn
- Brian Flores
- Raheem Morris
- Leslie Frazier
- Jim Harbaugh
- Eric Bieniemy

Guys we like but might not be able to get

- Sean Payton (for obvious reasons)
- Shane Steichen (depending on the Chargers)

2 minutes ago, methodtoll said:

Taking a page from Mr. Scot's "Hypothetical Quinn" thread.

Say Ken Dorsey ends up with the HC gig:

- Keep Wilks on as DC 

- hire Frank Reich as OC (if fired from the Colts 

- Keep Tabor as ST Coord.

Thoughts???

Dorsey and Shane Steichen both have previously worked with Steve Wilks.

On 10/11/2022 at 12:08 PM, rippadonn said:

Sorry, ripp, I didn't mean to quote you.

On 10/11/2022 at 12:04 PM, Mr. Scot said:

First year as a coordinator:

-    Demeco Ryans
-    Ben Johnson
-    Frank Smith
-    Jonathan Gannon
-    Mike LaFleur

This isn't accurate. This is Mike Lafluer's second season as a coordinator. LaFleur followed Robert Saleh from the 49ers to become the Jets' offensive coordinator in 2021.

Edited by trueblade
  • Beer 1

Something else to ponder that no one is really talking about but could potentially be a real outcome depending on how the remainder of the season goes but...

If Mike Tomlin is let go as HC in Pittsburgh (and given the ties to Tepper)... He could be a strong possibility. I know many have said that Tepper was one of the minority owners who wanted Tomlin gone but it is my understanding that Tepper was not, in fact, one the guys that wanted him out as Coach but actually was supportive of Tomlin.

That said, if Tomlin came to Carolina, I could see him keeping Wilks on as DC to have continuity. I am just not sure who he would bring in as OC but one would think he would learn from his mistakes and not hire Canada again. Personally I could see Todd Haley reuniting with Tomlin.

I know it may be far fetched but given the ties to the Steelers organization, it's not a complete stretch, IMO.

• Pie 1