• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Remember the Twitter thread about Wilks and Snow arguing?

top dawg

After hearing that Steve Wilks canned Phil Snow, I couldn't help but think that the firing gives some credence to the unconfirmed twitter thread about dissension in Snow's ranks.

Yes, I realize the defense was not perfect and certainly has serious third down issues, but it was still a respected squad, so I'd say that Wilks had better be right about deep-sixing Snow. It will turn out to be a very important executive decision for him, as it speaks to his decision making which in turn makes an understated statement about his genuine viability as the Panthers next HC (sans any "interim" label).

It will be interesting to see how our defense evolves--and it will, or he wouldn't have fired Snow with such expediency. Not to mention Wilks' continuation of McAdoo's services on the offensive (pun kinda intended) side of the ball, will be nearly as important. For hardcore Panthers fans, the soap opera is real, and almost must-see TV for the next few weeks. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

Either way the combo of Wilks zone secondary and Snow's front 7 made zero sense. I'm not a fan of the zone stuff but I'm assuming he needs the front 7 doing particular things for the whole thing to work. In a perfect world he would switch to man and blitz like crazy but it may be zone and blitz like crazy

• Pie 2

All I can say is that any realistic chance of being more than an interim rests on the defensive side of the ball. Thing is that he has to work with the pieces we currently have rather than cram in a philosophy that doesn't fit because that's asking too much with the season already well underway.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

1 minute ago, outlaw4 said:

All I can say is that any realistic chance of being more than an interim rests on the defensive side of the ball. Thing is that he has to work with the pieces we currently have rather than cram in a philosophy that doesn't fit because that's asking too much with the season already well underway.

Yeah, people wanting him to can McAdoo, it's pretty much impossible to install a new playbook on that side of the ball. He can try to convince McAdoo to call the games differently but that's about it. Only other option is to have Sean Ryan learn and call McAdoo's playbook which doesn't sound promising

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, Aussie Tank said:

Wilks rode McDermotts coat tails here last time anyway clean house at the end of the year 

That’s kind of how successful coaches are built. The most successful coaches come up under a great mind (coaching tree) and sprinkle in their own elements to grow. McDermott learned under Jim Johnson while Andy Reid was the head ball coach. John Harbaugh also learned under that regime so those are pretty good references or coaches to be associated with. I don’t know if Wilkes will work out but it’s kind of premature to say clean house. McDermott was fired and cast off once and look at him now. May as well see how it plays out. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, Beast_3000 said:

That’s kind of how successful coaches are built. The most successful coaches come up under a great mind (coaching tree) and sprinkle in their own elements to grow. McDermott learned under Jim Johnson while Andy Reid was the head ball coach. John Harbaugh also learned under that regime so those are pretty good references or coaches to be associated with. I don’t know if Wilkes will work out but it’s kind of premature to say clean house. McDermott was fired and cast off once and look at him now. May as well see how it plays out. 

He inherited McDermotts Defence and made it worse than got a HC gig and poo the bed so I’m not really hoping he gets the full time gig 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

59 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

He inherited McDermotts Defence and made it worse than got a HC gig and poo the bed so I’m not really hoping he gets the full time gig 

This.

I've heard and seen nothing but good things about him as a position coach.  But I've observed only bad when he gets a greater degree of responsibility.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

I mean, I don't remember and am too lazy to look it up, but did he really inherit McDermott's defense, or did he inherent a defense where some of the key players had aged and/or moved on? That answer can make all the difference in the world. 

Edited by top dawg

7 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Either way the combo of Wilks zone secondary and Snow's front 7 made zero sense. I'm not a fan of the zone stuff but I'm assuming he needs the front 7 doing particular things for the whole thing to work. In a perfect world he would switch to man and blitz like crazy but it may be zone and blitz like crazy

Yeah it was an odd pairing. I really doubt Wilks is going to be able to pull this unit out of where it is. It's not like they were slacking or underperforming. I like zone blitzing when done right but almost all our CBs are man coverage guys. I guess we will see how it plays out. 

• Beer 1

49 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I mean, I don't remember and am too lazy to look it up, but did he really inherit McDermott's defense, or did he inherent a defense where some of the key players had aged and/or moved on? That answer can make all the difference in the world. 

He got McDermotts defense. Since he replaced McDermott. 

• Pie 2

7 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah I have said our currently defense, especially our front line, isn't made to run Wilks/Holcombs type of defense. 

• Pie 1

Yup, whoever the source there was (I suspect it's Stanley McClover), they were dead on with every thing.  Absolutely all of it.  

Also revisting it...  I would expect Chandler and Franklin to be dumped sometime before the end of the season, because so far, everything in that thread came true.

Also revisiting it, the part about Dunlap pops back out.  It affirms what Tepper alluded to yesterday that Rhule STILL had final say on all roster decisions - because Fitt wanted Dunlap, and Dunlap wanted to come here.  Remember Dunlap tweeted out glowing stuff about Fitt and that Fitt knew what it was.  And then Fitt said nice stuff about Dunlap and basically made it sound like they just had to get the agreement worked out...  when in reality, he prolly had the deal set and ready to go, but Rhule didn't okay it, and then Dunlap ends up in KC, and Burns spends another season without a bookend to pair with.

Rhule really had the whole building in shambles because he's a fuging idiotic egomaniac.  It's really unbelievable.  We knew it was bad from the outside, as we, as fans, could literally see the dysfunction rolling into a boil snd overflowing in front of our eyes...  and yet, I just can't fathom how Tepper INSIDE of the building knew this stuff was going on and let it get this far out of control.  That's insane.  That much dysfunction, you have to know, in personal lives, business, pro football, whatever...  you have to know that you aren't going to turn it around at that point.  Patience isn't even the word for that.  Again, it is straight up insanity.

• Beer 1