• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jacob Eason… Come on down. Thoughts on his limited play?’

panthersgreenville

I'd cut PJ today if I were in charge. He may be a nice guy but he is truly a waste of a roster spot. He simply cannot play QB at the NFL level.

I'd use Eason next week if Baker and Sam are unable to play. If he played well I'd ride with him the rest of the season. We know Baker and Sam won't both be back next year. I can't see either of them returning as starters. Matt is the only QB we have under contract. Eason can get some valuable playing time and we can get a good chance to evaluate him. If he's decent we can use him as a spot starter/backup when we draft our QB in the first round next year.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I an actually pretty amazed that anyone still debates the QB situation.

At this point is it not painfully obvious that no QB is going to succeed with this offense?

McAdoo keeps conclusively proving he is not an NFL caliber OC.

To be fair, the offense looked significantly different yesterday, and arguably even more so once Eason stepped in.

I'd at least give him a look.

• Pie 1

14 hours ago, panthersgreenville said:

Here I go again, getting my hopes up yet again only to likely be let down when he plays next week and throws like 4 picks.. But man, I would be lying if I said he didn’t look miles better than PJ. Yes against a soft, garbage time defense but even still, 6 foot freaking 6 and he was slinging darts, it wasn’t only that but he seemed to pass the eye test, looked comfortable and not scared and showed good poise in the pocket. 

Just some perspective, he basically had more passing yds (or close to it) in 30 seconds then PJ had all game. 

Considering Darnold, Mayfield and Walker shouldn't be anywhere near Charlotte next season, why not let him play? Sam could be back soon, but WTH not see if Eason can be a serviceable backup until that happens?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 hours ago, Wolfcop said:

Do we bring back Baker to compete next year, perhaps be the backup? I am thinking maybe, IF he shows significant improvement the remainder of this season. 

Probably not. The veteran QB on the roster next year needs to understand his primary job is to be a mentor to the first round rookie we draft. I just don't see Baker being comfortable in that role.

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Wake me when we put together a cohesive half of football offensively. Not even a whole game, a good half from end to end.

Nowhere will you find me predicting greatness.

Am I in favor of giving Eason a chance though? Yeah, there's an argument to be made for that.

Mind you, it's not necessarily about giving him an audition to be a starter as it is seeing whether he's worth keeping around for another year. Especially given that the only quarterback currently on next year's roster is Matt Corral.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Wake me when we put together a cohesive half of football offensively. Not even a whole game, a good half from end to end.

Last time that happened was with CMC, Joe Brady, and Sammy. And that's not exactly a ringing endorsement of 2 of those guys......

Something tells me Brady will pop back up soon enough elsewhere.