• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jones: Tepper now looking for "a young offensive mind"

Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I dont know anything about Johnson good or bad but what does "ties to the region" have anything to do with being a nfl coach?  That literally has no advantage whatsoever.  I maybe get it for a college coach but NFL?

I take that statement as more of “this will appeal to Johnson to move home” more than anything if there say was some kind of bidding war between teams.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I dont know anything about Johnson good or bad but what does "ties to the region" have anything to do with being a nfl coach?  That literally has no advantage whatsoever.  I maybe get it for a college coach but NFL?

It means he'd want to be here. Heck, given the time frame of his youth, he may well have grown up as a Panther fan.

That doesn't necessarily make him a better candidate, but it could make him more likely to want the job.

• Pie 2

As far as connections to the team, Johnson was a coaching assistant at Boston College for the exact same three years that Luke Kuechly went there. I'd have to imagine there at least acquainted.

There are others, but that's the one I'd consider the biggest.

Edited by Mr. Scot

On 10/17/2022 at 10:27 AM, Mr. Scot said:

I've seen doctors who couldn't balance checkbooks, teachers who can't figure out their voicemail and engineers who are baffled by simple cooking recipes.

Being really good at one particular thing (like making money) doesn't guarantee you're good at everything.

And a quick look at the NFL, including the Panthers, would tell you pretty clearly it sure as hell doesn't guarantee you know anything about football.

me, me, and me.... 

3 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

I honestly don't get the hype around Ben Johnson. The Lions offense was shutout once this year already and while fairly productive before that I don't think it's a good enough offense to give this guy a HC job based on.

It wasn't "fairly productive". They were on pace to shatter the record for points scored in a season, and that with Jared Goff at quarterback.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's why I research more than just this year.

And the thing about Johnson is how he did it. He spotted something other coaches were missing and knew how to exploit it.

That shows the kind of intelligence a head coach should have.

That's certainly good to hear. 

Ill Allow It GIF

40 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

I honestly don't get the hype around Ben Johnson. The Lions offense was shutout once this year already and while fairly productive before that I don't think it's a good enough offense to give this guy a HC job based on.

That shutout was against New England in Foxborough. St. Brown was on limited snaps. Belichick owns Goff.

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

I agree. They have to keep all units of the team up and also work with an Owner and GM. Doresy feels like a Wilks type coach to me, good in a system and followed a better coach who set up everything for them. I don't believe they can build it themselves. Coordinators are just the most likely place to find a new HC unless you are looking in school which shouldn't be an option for us this time. We do need someone that can set up and run (directly or indirectly) an effective offense. 

A Daboll type is what I want us to find. A really good offensive mind at OC but also prime HC material matched with a DC who would be a HC if it was the league from 20 years ago. Dude is competing in year one before he clears the cap mess up. That is impressive as hell to me. 

I've seen a lot of nfl coaches come and go over the years. The coaches that had success are either retired or should be. The next generation of coaches to replace the old ones has yet to produce one.

Billy B. falls into the should be retired group. Tomlin will be the only great coach remaining from old guard.

I want one of those in next year's model.

Gene Wilder Nonsense GIF by MOODMAN

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

I don't like any of the second paragraph options, like at all. 

Dorsey didn't build that system and he is an obvious step back from Daboll, feels a lot like Wilks to me. I'm not sold on Waldron either. He is doing good things, I like that they hired him from the Rams but I am not sold on his year yet. The other 2 are very interesting but like I said above I am waiting for the year to get a lot closer to over before we can have a more complete discussion on their years.

Defiantly liking the first group and want nothing to do with the second group. I like your effort and input. What would you like to see for us moving forward?

I'd prefer if the Panthers went with an offensive mind for this HC hire. I think it's long past time we try someone from that side of the ball to lead the team. And that's with me really liking candidates like DeMeco Ryans and Raheem Morris. It seems we're finally going to take our medicine and draft a rookie QB and it'd be best to keep that QB paired with a play caller for the duration of his career, if he's as good as being picked in the top 3 would merit. If we hired a DeMeco Ryans and he brings along an OC that makes a Bryce Young, CJ Stroud, or Will Levis look great year 1, you run the risk of that guy being scooped up as a HC himself. I really like what Steichen has done with Herbert and Hurts in limited time, and I also like what Waldron is doing this season with Geno, and Ben Johnson with the Lions offense. Like I said, yes, these could all be one season wonders, but that's just the nature of the business. You interview folks and make an educated choice, but at the end of the day any HC hire is swinging for the fences - more often than not, you're going to strike out.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1