• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trevor Lawrence proves going #1 doesn't mean much

Jmac

What’s whack is the modern day impatience that says someone sucks if they don’t throw 5 touchdowns, zero picks and run 100 yards a game out of the gate.

the second is there is so much success and failure riding on who drafts who. There are tons of “busts” that would have been at least serviceable if drafted by betters. There’s also good and greats that would have been busts or journeymen if they were drafted different.

Trevor Lawrence may or may not be “generational talent” but it’s hard to tell by who drafted him👀

Just now, Davidson Deac II said:

We could be like the Dolphins, tank and be one game ahead of where we are at.  

The front office is already tanking. The coach and players are of course going to shoot for the moon. That moon might be a 6 win, one and done in the playoffs season however.

17 minutes ago, Jmac said:

They called him a "generational talent" at QB. All the pundits said he was a "no miss" pick.

I just see an average QB that really hasn't done much so far in the league. Going #1 is still a crap shoot.

Panthers need to play to win and not put hopes on getting that "no miss" QB at #1.

Let the chips fall where they may. Get a quality HC and use the picks and FA to fill out the team. 

They can find a good QB after the top two. Nothing is a sure thing.

Typical Clemson product.

22 minutes ago, Jmac said:

They called him a "generational talent" at QB. All the pundits said he was a "no miss" pick.

I just see an average QB that really hasn't done much so far in the league. Going #1 is still a crap shoot.

Panthers need to play to win and not put hopes on getting that "no miss" QB at #1.

Let the chips fall where they may. Get a quality HC and use the picks and FA to fill out the team. 

People buying into this next class of QB's from the jump was dumb. It's like 4 guys and maybe 1 guy is gonna be a starter beyond their rookie contract

8 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Typical Clemson product.

Already in his 2nd offense on his 2nd year.  Hard to claim he even had a real rookie season last year. 

Weak talent around him.  Real bad year 1.

- 65% completion percentage 

- Tied for 8th in TDs (somewhere around there.  Not sure if all stats have pulled over this week yet)

- has had the lead in every game in the 4th Q but the Eagles game.  Takes awhile for QBs to learn to win late.  

Trevor isn’t playing bad LMAO.  Trevor is literally what you tank to build around.  Build around being what they are suppose to do now.  Seems like most people are glancing at win column and little else on this one. 

25 minutes ago, Jmac said:

I get where you're coming from but I don't wanna be stuck with where we are. Ayutthaya the exception of Corral. If like to see what he brings... we need a QB we can build with...

23 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Those percentages are completely made up unless you can show me some data to back them up.

It was an estimate, but I went and looked it up.  I was probably being generous with the 25%

Here is the list of qb's picked in the top five since 2011 (I started with Cam).  And I left out the qb's picked after 2020, well the jury is still out on those guys.

Burrow
Tua
Murray
Mayfield
Darnold
Trubisky
Goff
Wentz
Winston
Mariotta
Blake Bortles
Luck
RGIII

Cam.  

Personally, I would only call three of those picked in the top five elite.  Cam, Luck, and Burrow.  3 out of 14.  

I don't feel like looking up 6-10, but off the top of my head, we have Allen, Mahomes, and Herbert.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II