• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Finding a QB is hard

Martin

1 hour ago, poundaway said:

There's something to be said for giving a QB time to settle into the O and get in sync with the receivers.  Josh Allen wasn't very good his first year out.

We've seen Teddy's best performance and Sam's and Bakers worst.

Would Teddy had played better with another year in the O?  Maybe.

Would Sam had been better with the new OL?  Maybe. 

Would Baker improve as McAdoo figures it out and he gets in sync with the WR's?  Maybe.

Its PJ's show now until he lets it go. 

Josh Allen's passing miraculously improved markedly after acquiring Diggs

Its almost as if a #1 WR helps would be jags like Gabe Davis put up numbers and QB alike

40 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

Those aren't mutually exclusive. We're talking about this year.

Though, I feel you're putting a lot of faith in the guys that looked at Sam Darnold, and thought he was not only worth being handed the starting job, but also worth a contract extension, and the cost of our 2nd, 4th, and 6th round picks.

IMO, the people that made that decision are gone.  Rhule made the decision to bring Darnold in, and it was up to Fitterer to figure out how to get him. 

Matt Rhule on why Panthers didn't pick QB in draft: 'I just believe in Sam [Darnold]' (nfl.com)

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah it is.

I'd add that anyone thinking the number one overall pick guarantees anything should look again.

It guarantees your best chance at success to find a qb in the draft long as you don’t have idiots in the FO because you have all options.

It’s insanely hard to believe a franchise QB won’t come out of the 2022 draft.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

IMO, the people that made that decision are gone.  Rhule made the decision to bring Darnold in, and it was up to Fitterer to figure out how to get him. 

Matt Rhule on why Panthers didn't pick QB in draft: 'I just believe in Sam [Darnold]' (nfl.com)

He figured out that a 2nd, a 4th, and a 6th was worth it for Darnold. Along with a contract extension.

Personally, I think I would have had more spine if I was in his position. Would you really go along with such poor decision making? I would rather risk the ire of a coach, then have that on my resume.

• Pie 1

Just now, Krovvy said:

He figured out that a 2nd, a 4th, and a 6th was worth it for Darnold. Along with a contract extension.

Personally, I think I would have had more spine if I was in his position. Would you really go along with such poor decision making? I would rather risk the ire of a coach, then have that on my resume.

Your Boss Rhule - " Get Sam in here at any cost "

Finessererere - " Sure thing boss "

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

If what I read was correct, Rhule had much more authority than Fitterer did.  I suppose we don't really know what went on behind closed doors, but it seems to me that this was mostly Rhule's decision, and with the exception of Tepper, nobody had the authority to override that authority.  

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

If what I read was correct, Rhule had much more authority than Fitterer did.  I suppose we don't really know what went on behind closed doors, but it seems to me that this was mostly Rhule's decision, and with the exception of Tepper, nobody had the authority to override that authority.  

I think we will find out once the season is over

1 hour ago, Krovvy said:

Those aren't mutually exclusive. We're talking about this year.

Though, I feel you're putting a lot of faith in the guys that looked at Sam Darnold, and thought he was not only worth being handed the starting job, but also worth a contract extension, and the cost of our 2nd, 4th, and 6th round picks.

If the Panthers make it out of this year picking out of the top 10 then I wouldn't be surprised if we trade multiple first rounders to move up for a quarterback. They've thrown everything else at the wall, and nothing has stuck. I see Fitterer as a gambler, and I think he would definitely be inclined to make that decision.

I'm speaking in generalities.

18 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Person confirmed that the quarterback decisions were all made by Rhule.

A good QB is not hard to find.

SEVERAL good QBs are one good coach away

You want a good QB? Then find a good coach.

Bill Walsh knew how to spot them and understood how to develop them quickly. Andy Reid, Mike Holmgren, Sean Payton, Joe Gibbs, the Harbaughs, and McVay to start with a few will never have trouble finding a QB.

You only need a QB with average athletic instinct and average intellect/intuition to form an NFL great.

Walsh developed Ken Anderson, Dan Fouts, Joe Montana, and Steve Young. All done in a single season of preparation for them. 3 of them converged in a single conference championship weekend. The preparation by Walsh took years to spot these QBs in a single afternoon and develop the QB and a system for them in 1 season.

Spotting an NFL championsip QB is not hard at all if you learn how to do it. I see too many make the mistake of running with the top college QBs thinking it is easier to take a top college QB and coach them up for the NFL.

I wanted Brian Griese and Tom Brady coming out of Michigan as franchise starters. Outside of a miracle to get Peyton Manning in 1998, these are the first 2 QBs I was willing to see the Panthers draft. Hard pass on drafting a QB from 1995 to 1997.

It's not hard if you know what to look for in a QB. Patience in the time it takes to spot a QB is the hardest part. Could take 3 to 5 drafts before you see another one (1 to 2 if you are lucky).

It's not hard. You just haven't put the time in to figure it out.

• Pie 1

34 minutes ago, onmyown said:

It guarantees your best chance at success to find a qb in the draft long as you don’t have idiots in the FO because you have all options.

It’s insanely hard to believe a franchise QB won’t come out of the 2022 draft.

It's not that hard to believe.

I've seen plenty of draft classes not produce any great quarterbacks, even ones that were thought to be good.