• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What’s your 2023 QB big board (including Corral)

Wundrbread33

3 minutes ago, saX man said:

1A/B/C: Stroud/Young/Levis

2: Hendon Hooker

3: Michael Penix Jr

4: Tanner McKee

5: Grayson McCall

6: Matt Corral…he’s kind of on Jaren Hall’s level for me

7: Cameron Ward (should stay one more year and keep it going, on a great trajectory)

Someone does not like them some Matt Corral. Oof. 

2 hours ago, year of the snitch said:

#1: Stroud - he does not look like any of the previous OSU QB's, he's going to put this stereo type to bed. Tall, throws dimes, reminds me of Herbert.

#2: Hooker - age seems to be his only issue which I don't find to be much of an issue. He may require a situation that tailors to his game which is a hard ask - but could be worth the scheming to allow him to succeed. Reminds me baby of Cam.

#3: Wilson - I really like Bryce, he is a true escape artist, knows the game really well, never scared, he takes huge hits all the time and just keeps going. My only knock on him is that he obviously has great weapons, but his line is even better, They allow him so much time to get creative and allow receivers to get open. We have a great line but this is the NFL, he's not gonna get 20 seconds to throw the ball and wait for DB's to get tired. Reminds me of Russell Wilson.

#4: Levis - Levis might be really good, he's got some accuracy issues but definitely seems like a project worth investing in. He's big, fits the mold of what has been successful at the QB position. Don't wanna say he reminds me of Josh Allen, maybe like a better Blake Bortles. Playoff Bortles.

#5: Matt Corral - I don't even think I have Matt at 5, there are better prospects. I saw Matt play in the NFL, he unfortunately does not have it. I wanted him to succeed very much, he's from my area and seems like a great dude. His debut was really weak and with the foot / leg injuries back to back, I don't ever see him breaking out.

When was that because we missed it? Do you mean with NFL players around him? That may be 10% correct at best. You didn't see Matt Corral with the first or second string on purpose. They didn't plan to play him this year, he wanted to play, they called him a "developmental pick" in the press conference directly after the draft. 

Do any of those QBs careers so far match up to Matt Corral's? Completion percentage? Mobility? Like PJ Corral stays accurate on the run. The guy runs like a running back. He's putting on weight, working out at BofA as we speak. 

Stroud isn't as mobile as Corral and Young could be but he's 2" 15lbs shorter than Matt when he came into the league.

This QB class has two frontrunner QBs that may ultimately drop because of that mistrust.

The only one who can match up well with Corrals skill set is Levis. A true dual threat in his own right and heavy enough to back it up.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I missed out on replying to some of the tanking conversation. (I tend to lurk without posting most of the time.) But this topic brought that idea back to mind and I wanted to chime in.

I know all fans of all teams want their team to win - obviously. It's simply the method of seeing that come to fruition that differs.

Personally, I think it's foolish to ever deliberately "tank" for the prospects of *potentially* getting a better player at a marginally higher draft slot. The draft is such an absolutely unpredictable crap-shoot that to lose intentionally - via roster utilization and/or coaching, not only undermines the blood, sweat and tears of the players under your stewardship, but it guarantees you absolutely nothing. You don't have to be a student of draft history to see the obvious uncertainty of every draft that has ever taken place. They're all littered with high-end, "can't miss" busts.

And that doesn't even consider the idea that the sport of football and its participants are fueled by an intense competitive spirit. What are you doing to that fire by any "efforts" to undermine that? What are you doing to player morale, to the sense of team and dedication that will ultimately be required to win once you have all the pieces in place? No team is flawless. All teams are, to a certain extent, a continuous work-in-progress. You do the BEST you can with what you've got, let the results tell their own story and hope to get the best players you can with the resources you acquire as a result. Anything else is pathetic imho.

Rant aside, and more to the topic at hand, I really like Young, despite his size. His awareness and decision making are the best of the bunch in my view, and while his size is not ideal, he has that *it* factor to my eyes. We may not have the opportunity to consider drafting him, but he'd be my pick if he were available. And I still think we've got to give Corral a real shot as well. He was thrown to the wolves with little preparation by a coaching staff that treated him as an afterthought rather than the 3rd round pick (with trade compensation) that he is. I never understood why he wasn't given more special attention, other than Rhule just doing Rhule things.

But I'm still hopeful that this season has some magic in it that makes talk of an early draft pick moot. The guys clearly want to play for Wilks - he's a leader of men, and that goes a long way. The team has some soft spots, but if we see a few more efforts like last Sunday, there's no reason we can't be in the conversation to win this year's poor NFC South. As a fan, I just want to see wins. The draft will sort itself out at draft time.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

When was that because we missed it? Do you mean with NFL players around him? That may be 10% correct at best. You didn't see Matt Corral with the first or second string on purpose. They didn't plan to play him this year, he wanted to play, they called him a "developmental pick" in the press conference directly after the draft. 

Do any of those QBs careers so far match up to Matt Corral's? Completion percentage? Mobility? Like PJ Corral stays accurate on the run. The guy runs like a running back. He's putting on weight, working out at BofA as we speak. 

Stroud isn't as mobile as Corral and Young could be but he's 2" 15lbs shorter than Matt when he came into the league.

This QB class has two frontrunner QBs that may ultimately drop because of that mistrust.

The only one who can match up well with Corrals skill set is Levis. A true dual threat in his own right and heavy enough to back it up.

Corral was getting caught from behind by DL that work at foot locker right now during preseason. His mobility and running won’t translate to the league. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

To be fair, didn't people say pretty much the same thing about Fields?

Definitely a lesser extent than the likes of cardale Jones and Haskins, but it was still mostly a one read, read option offense.

CJ Stroud has honestly been one of the more impressive passers I've seen in college football in a while. 

2 hours ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Man I must have been watching the wrong game. He looked raw, somewhat goofy, and inaccurate. Perhaps I picked an off day. 

I look forward to watching more. Any particular games that stick out? 

Yeah, that's how he looked to me in the 2 games of his I watched. Granted, the Kentucky oline is not very good.

11 minutes ago, RJK said:

Corral was getting caught from behind by DL that work at foot locker right now during preseason. His mobility and running won’t translate to the league. 

Not enough data to back up that claim. 

Also there are plenty of freak athlete big dudes who just don’t football well enough to make it in the league, foot locker career or not. 

Judging Corral off last preseason is incomplete and shortsighted to say the least. 

• Pie 2

16 minutes ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

I missed out on replying to some of the tanking conversation. (I tend to lurk without posting most of the time.) But this topic brought that idea back to mind and I wanted to chime in.

I know all fans of all teams want their team to win - obviously. It's simply the method of seeing that come to fruition that differs.

Personally, I think it's foolish to ever deliberately "tank" for the prospects of *potentially* getting a better player at a marginally higher draft slot. The draft is such an absolutely unpredictable crap-shoot that to lose intentionally - via roster utilization and/or coaching, not only undermines the blood, sweat and tears of the players under your stewardship, but it guarantees you absolutely nothing. You don't have to be a student of draft history to see the obvious uncertainty of every draft that has ever taken place. They're all littered with high-end, "can't miss" busts.

And that doesn't even consider the idea that the sport of football and its participants are fueled by an intense competitive spirit. What are you doing to that fire by any "efforts" to undermine that? What are you doing to player morale, to the sense of team and dedication that will ultimately be required to win once you have all the pieces in place? No team is flawless. All teams are, to a certain extent, a continuous work-in-progress. You do the BEST you can with what you've got, let the results tell their own story and hope to get the best players you can with the resources you acquire as a result. Anything else is pathetic imho.

Rant aside, and more to the topic at hand, I really like Young, despite his size. His awareness and decision making are the best of the bunch in my view, and while his size is not ideal, he has that *it* factor to my eyes. We may not have the opportunity to consider drafting him, but he'd be my pick if he were available. And I still think we've got to give Corral a real shot as well. He was thrown to the wolves with little preparation by a coaching staff that treated him as an afterthought rather than the 3rd round pick (with trade compensation) that he is. I never understood why he wasn't given more special attention, other than Rhule just doing Rhule things.

But I'm still hopeful that this season has some magic in it that makes talk of an early draft pick moot. The guys clearly want to play for Wilks - he's a leader of men, and that goes a long way. The team has some soft spots, but if we see a few more efforts like last Sunday, there's no reason we can't be in the conversation to win this year's poor NFC South. As a fan, I just want to see wins. The draft will sort itself out at draft time.

Thoughtful post. Post more often!

• Beer 1

20 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Not enough data to back up that claim. 

Also there are plenty of freak athlete big dudes who just don’t football well enough to make it in the league, foot locker career or not. 

Judging Corral off last preseason is incomplete and shortsighted to say the least. 

Passing on QB prospects due to holding out hope for Corral would be flat out insane 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1