• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

as of right now do you want wilks as the HC next year

I'm not sold on Wilks completely yet, if you could get a big name offensive coach (like Sean Payton but not Sean Payton cause fug Payton and giving up picks) then I'd prefer that. 

But I am 100% sold on Wilks over someone like Dan Quinn, any college coach, or any defensive coach. Either hire the next McVay/Shannahan or stick with Wilks IMO

Right now, yes, I am sold on him being the HC. There's still a lot of games left to be played, though. He's made this team tougher and grittier than they've been since about mid-way through Rivera's tenure. They aren't as resilient and scrappy as the 2003 Panthers, but for a bit yesterday they sure felt like that team.

C'mon, admit it, you cheered and you about lost sanity when PJ and DJ connected on that long bomb to tie up the game with seconds left. 

No matter the outcome, for a moment there you believed. And I see that there's a team out there that finally believes in their coach and the Keep Pounding attitude we need.

Can he maintain it throughout what will be a long, tough season? That's a helluva question and a helluva task for any coach stuck where he is. I think, I think, he can make something out of this.

I can only imagine what he could do with his hands on a team built more to his specifications. And after the half yesterday, you could tell he put the spurs to McAdoo and told him to open the game plan up. When was the last time we made halftime adjustments??

So yeah, right now I'd be happy if we lost that Interim title from his name. Let's revisit it again during the bye. We really ought to know more about whether this enthusiasm and toughness of the team is sustainable by then.

Edited by Khyber53
  • Pie 2

I like the turnaround I have seen in the players effort. If this continues I feel like they have to seriously consider hiring him.

My issue with hiring an "offensive guy" is what if Tepper gets snowed over by another short order cook who talks a big game and should be selling used cars which causes us to have another Rhule for 3 or 4 years. With Wilks so far we know what we have and the players seem to be responding well to him so let's evaluate how the rest of the season goes and if he keeps strong then we could seriously consider him but even then we should at least look around and make sure we are making a good decision if we go the Wilks route. I do really like him so far and think if tge players effort continues like this he should be the front runner for the job as he will be a proven commodity.

18 hours ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

i think he's a good lad but I want an offensive guy for once

Steve Wilks has taken the same roster as Rhule to two should be wins with a USFL quarterback.

Give me Wilks with his own staff and Matt Corral/another QB in the draft, preferably Grayson McCall. 

I think a lot of people are sleeping on what a real NFL off-season without a sham QB competition would do for a guy with the physical traits of Matt Corral. He likely has the quickest release in the league already, he just needs the mental work which can only come from doing which Rhule didn't allow him to do.

Believe it or not, defense still wins championships. Think 13-3, 28-3, 33-9, etc. Defense won those games. Give me Wilks all day.

• Pie 1

I know everyone is clamoring for an offensive minded head coach, however that doesn't guarantee success. Look at the Raiders, McDaniels is supposed to be one of the brightest offensive minds and look how that turned out. Hackett with Denver is also another example.  I think there are some really great offensive coordinators that are just meant to be OC and not HC. Wilks seems to have this team playing hard and motivated more than Rhule could ever have, he is also handcuffed to McAdoo by Rhule.  With McAdoo we've managed to put up 20+ points the last two games with PJ at QB. If Wilks can bring in a good OC then it's not all lost. 

Sean McDermott is defensive minded but has good OC in Daboll and Dorsey, their offense hasn't missed a beat.