• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Executives grade trade activity

Mr. Scot

8 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Yeah, even if CMC gets back to his pre-injury form, it’s going to hard to say that we lost in this deal. What we got in return was pretty ridiculous.

Objectively speaking, we came out pretty good with the assets we gained from trading him. It just hurt more than other trades because CMC was like the lone bright spot on the team this year, and he was an elite talent at his position.

It's always hard to let those guys go. 

• Pie 9

I love being the seller in these kind of deals. I would be pissed if we traded for an injury prone but great RB with those picks. Seems like a desperation move with Lance busting. obviously someone's job is tied to that trade and they are still trying to build it up. Whew, that is looking like a long shot at this point.

An importsnt lesson for us this offseason.

19 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Yeah, even if CMC gets back to his pre-injury form, it’s going to hard to say that we lost in this deal. What we got in return was pretty ridiculous.

It ultimately comes down to wins and losses and championships. It looked for years like the Chargers fleeced the Giants in that Eli Manning trade. They got an arguably better QB in Rivers and made good use of that bevy of picks. But at the end of it all, the Giants got two rings out of the deal. So who really won that trade?

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Objectively speaking, we came out pretty good with the assets we gained from trading him. It just hurt more than other trades because CMC was like the lone bright spot on the team this year, and he was an elite talent at his position.

It's always hard to let those guys go. 

I agree.

it sucks losing a star, sure-fire HoFer RB.

but considering the money tied up in him, the fact that he gets hurt a lot, and that we got a good few picks for him....i think it was worth it. 

we might not ever get another RB with that level of talent, but do we actually need one with that level of talent? the picks we go for him are going to go a long way in bringing in the talent we need to rise above the mud we've been stuck in for several years. 

• Pie 4

44 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

it’s going to be pretty easy to say that we lost when the draft rolls around and no player they got comes close to rivaling the kind of impact mccaffrey has. 

most of those picks don’t project as starters

Edited by Growl
  • Pie 2

RBs peak around 26-27.  CMC is 26.  He has been injured.  While I see him lasting a bit longer because he can catch, as a pure RB, his days are numbered.  To me, I do not see why any RB gets a second contract.  The teams rarely get value in doing so.  Think of RBs like college players--four years and graduate them.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

11 minutes ago, rayzor said:

it sucks losing a star, sure-fire HoFer RB.

but considering the money tied up in him, the fact that he gets hurt a lot, and that we got a good few picks for him....i think it was worth it. 

we might not ever get another RB with that level of talent, but do we actually need one with that level of talent? the picks we go for him are going to go a long way in bringing in the talent we need to rise above the mud we've been stuck in for several years. 

I was going to say, if his injury history continues, I don't think you can say he is a surefire HOFer. 

That's actually one of the most difficult positions to make the HOF, IMO.

• Pie 4

55 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

From the article:

“It is crazy to think the Panthers got almost a whole draft in the past two weeks,” one general manager said.

The Panthers sent McCaffrey to the 49ers for second-, third- and fourth-round picks in 2023 and a fifth-rounder in 2024. They also moved wide receiver Robbie Anderson to the Cardinals for a sixth-rounder in 2024 and a seventh-rounder in 2025.

“I think the six draft picks is the best (haul),” another general manager said. “They’re loading up for a QB next year. Either trade up or put good players around the new QB.”

The Panthers, who are currently in line for the third pick in April, are in desperate need for a quarterback after back-to-back offseason trades for Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield haven’t panned out.

They’re in an obvious rebuild, which they officially declared by firing head coach Matt Rhule and trading the franchise’s most popular player in McCaffrey, but they’ll begin to clear their books from those contracts in the offseason. They just need to be able to hit on their quarterback in the draft.

“I like what the Panthers did with the collection of picks for McCaffrey,” an executive said. “It was what they needed with their situation.”

The assistant coach added, “Long term, the Panthers will benefit most, because they have to fully rebuild.”

From the 49ers side...

The general opinion was that the McCaffrey trade was mutually beneficial. Hard to argue after McCaffrey racked up three touchdowns Sunday when the 49ers beat the Rams, 31-14.

“Instant splash,” the coach said.

But there’s one concern.

“Great for Carolina, tons of risk for San Francisco,” an executive noted. “He better stay healthy. And even if he does, is it because you managed his workload? Is that why you traded for him?  To manage his workload?”

A general manager agreed, “That’s a big haul for a running back who has been injured.”

It’s a valid trepidation. McCaffrey missed 23 games from 2020-21. And even though he was healthy this past offseason, the Panthers limited the 26-year-old’s reps in training camp and kept him out of the preseason.

If McCaffrey does stay healthy, though, as he did for his first three years in the league and again this season, the star running back has already shown what type of difference he can make for the 49ers.

And that’d make it a win-win.

This is behind a pay wall. Sure you're not committing theft by posting the whole thing on an open forum?

5 minutes ago, Growl said:

it’s going to be pretty easy to say that we lost when the draft rolls around and no player they got comes close to rivaling the kind of impact mccaffrey has. 

most of those picks don’t project as starters

2nd and 3rd rounders are projected starters in the league.

If the inverse of the situation you are sharing, or even the half inverse of it and we get one player that makes an impact and the rest is depth... then the deal is a major win. 

That being said.....There is no losing in that deal in this situation, its just bad management of the resources aqcuired in a solid trade.

• Pie 5