• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All aboard the Wilks Wagon

Zod

10 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Personally, I believe this credit should go to Greg Roman, the OC for the 49ers during that period and the current OC for the Ravens.

Honestly, he might need to be someone we look at.  He is kind of flying under the radar.  He would love to draft someone like Mayer our of Notre Dame.  The man loves his TEs.  

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

They know what to look for in QB development and how to help them succeed.  It's no coincidence that Tua looks 10x better with McDaniel than he even did with Flores (even when healthy) and Flores was a good coach IMO.  Eagles HC is also an offensive guy and Hurts is developing well under his watch.  Of course there is always Reid and Mahomes.  Look at Colin K with and without Harbaugh. They know what system they want, what players they need, and the right people to hire to help a young QB (of their choice) to develop. I understand what you are saying in the fact that they aren't meeting with the QB and watching every snap of his practice, but they definitely have a part in the development of the potential franchise QB.  

Sustainability helps a lot too.  I think Allen has come back down to Earth a little because Daboll left and he was peaking at the end of last season.  Which also reminds me Daniel Jones (while still not great) is looking better with Daboll as his HC.  

You are excluding the OCs and QB coaches here and giving the credit to the HCs. Tua has made massive progress under his new QB coach Darren Bevell and was making strides last year.. he was the most accurate QB in the league.  Herbert was having a strong two year campaign with Steichen as his OC and we are seing the same with Hurts under Steichen as well. Colin K lost his OC (Greg Roman) when Harbaugh left.....

Mike McDaniel isnt a QB guy, he is a run scheme guy. He always has been. He was an RB coach as his first stint and was the run game cooridinator under Shanny until he became a HC.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

You are excluding the OCs and QB coaches here and giving the credit to the HCs. Tua has made massive progress under his new QB coach Darren Bevell and was making strides last year.. he was the most accurate QB in the league.  Herbert was having a strong two year campaign with Steichen as his OC and we are seing the same with Hurts under Steichen as well. Colin K lost his OC (Greg Roman) when Harbaugh left.....

Mike McDaniel isnt a QB guy, he is a run scheme guy. He always has been. He was an RB coach as his first stint and was the run game cooridinator under Shanny until he became a HC.

McDaniel is an offensive guy.  He is running schemes making it easy for Tua to get the ball where it needs to be.  He understands what it takes to get an offense clicking which obviously helps the QB.  He also wanted to get Tua weapons to help him succeed.  Something our defensive minded Rivera failed to get done with Cam Newton.  Offensive HCs definitely have input in the most important position in sports.  If you can't get a QB or develop one then you are losing you job as a HC.  Hell I watch some of these guys calls plays on offense.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/ranking_the_offensive_play_caller_for_each_nfl_team/s1__37978942#slide_8

9 of the top 10 play callers are also Head Coaches for their teams.  My point is if our coach hires a great OC, he will get plucked away from us.  If they are running their own system and even calling their own plays it's way less of a setback to lose an OC.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, ForJimmy said:

McDaniel is an offensive guy.  He is running schemes making it easy for Tua to get the ball where it needs to be.  He understands what it takes to get an offense clicking which obviously helps the QB.  He also wanted to get Tua weapons to help him succeed.  Something our defensive minded Rivera failed to get done with Cam Newton.  Offensive HCs definitely have input in the most important position in sports.  If you can't get a QB or develop one then you are losing you job as a HC.  Hell I watch some of these guys calls plays on offense.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/ranking_the_offensive_play_caller_for_each_nfl_team/s1__37978942#slide_8

9 of the top 10 play callers are also Head Coaches for their teams.  My point is if our coach hires a great OC, he will get plucked away from us.  If they are running their own system and even calling their own plays it's way less of a setback to lose an OC.  

If your point is "My point is if our coach hires a great OC, he will get plucked away from us" - then yeah no one will disagree with that. However, my original quote of your reply (We need a coach that can develop young QBs be it Corral or our rookie.  ) was in reference to this myth that HC's directly develop QBs.. that is not how the NFL works.

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

If your point is "My point is if our coach hires a great OC, he will get plucked away from us" - then yeah no one will disagree with that. However, my original quote of your reply (We need a coach that can develop young QBs be it Corral or our rookie.  ) was in reference to this myth that HC's directly develop QBs.. that is not how the NFL works.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1878171-breaking-down-the-relationship-between-nfl-qbs-and-head-coaches

I think HCs are more involved with QBs than you are stating.  Sure different staffs are structured differently, but a HC (especially an offensive minded one) is going to be constantly checking in with his QB, meeting with him, and getting his input.  Some design offenses strictly based on what kind of QB they have on their roster.  If you don't think that plays in the development of a QB, I guess we just have a difference of opinion there.  

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, PantherPhann89 said:

I'm definitely in favor of giving Wilks a legitimate shot at HC and so far he deserves it. However, if Wilks get the job, do you all think that we can win with McAdoo as OC, providing we have a very good QB.

No, I don't. Wilks needs someone innovative. Maybe Reich.

• Pie 1

17 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Did the Ravens really "smoke" us, though?

I guess a better way for me to put it.  If you look at our overall roster we have a lot of talent.  We just have some clear holes om the roster.  We have beat teams I would say we have more talent than and have lost to the teams that have more talent than us.  I just think Rhule was so bad he made us look worse than we were. 

I like him but we have games that mean something left to play and now it appears we have a QB who can actually play. A lot hangs on these last games and even then I would hope options are explored to make sure we get the best fit for the future. If he stays I think there has to be some shake up on the staff. We need to get an OC and a QB coach in here who can help develop the QB or get the system working for the QB. If this team goes out and gets an offensive minded head coach they better damn sure KNOW he can be a head coach and not just an X and Os guy. 

Here’s what Wilks does get 

IT STARTS IN THE TRENCHES 

Both sides 

want to know what is  wrong with the Rams, oline disseminated by injuries 

same was true of Bucs earlier.   

a great QB makes an average oline better but no qb can make an injured oline better 

Mahomes lost a super bowl dealing with replacement tackles for that game   Nfl limits on roster size and salary cap are prohibitive

Wilks isn’t an idiot. Do you all really think he doesn’t know McAdoo isn’t the answer? 

his evaluation of QB position in Arizona’s draft didn’t include Rosen and that’s probably why he was fired. That was a GM call.  Wilks, supposedly wanted, who turned out to be the top two guys in hindsight 

I like him and I trust him.  

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

20 minutes ago, PanthersGTI said:

I like him but we have games that mean something left to play and now it appears we have a QB who can actually play. A lot hangs on these last games and even then I would hope options are explored to make sure we get the best fit for the future. If he stays I think there has to be some shake up on the staff. We need to get an OC and a QB coach in here who can help develop the QB or get the system working for the QB. If this team goes out and gets an offensive minded head coach they better damn sure KNOW he can be a head coach and not just an X and Os guy. 

Whats his name?