• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Spencer Rattler ? Write up by Daniel Kelly article from Aug 31, 2022

raleigh-panther

I honestly have not watch him since he flamed out at Oklahoma  
I have no opinion as I’m an AR15 fan

Germane as people were asking about failing out of top 10   

this article is from Aug 31, 2022 

https://firstroundmock.com/2022/08/spencer-rattler-is-the-next-patrick-mahomes/?fbclid=IwAR33DlR9OWeP57zZm04npNu6jFIItpf1iifOOyALAE1TCqgEt5z6zI4-V-Y

Spencer Rattler Is The Next Patrick Mahomes

August 31, 2022 | Daniel Kelly | Articles

Reading Time: 3 minutes

There was controversy surrounding Spencer Rattler as he transferred from Oklahoma to South Carolina last December. However, make no mistake, he is an elite NFL draft prospect headed into the 2022 college football season. 

I loved Rattler when I looked at him on 2020 game film for NFL Draft Diamonds (vs. Iowa State, Oklahoma State and Florida), and I loved him when I watched him play last season. 

Love is a strong word. In fact, it is the strongest word I know. I do not love many of these prospects, but I love Rattler. There is something that strongly resonates with me about him, so much so that if I was named as an NFL General Manager prior to draft day, he may very well be the name on the card. 

I don’t know how much stronger I can get with this. 

Is there more to this story with Rattler as we approach the 2023 NFL Draft?

Nobody can tell me that something political wasn’t going on at Oklahoma in 2021. It’s a little more than “coincidence” that Lincoln Riley and QB Caleb Williams (who suddenly took over for Rattler at Oklahoma when Riley was coaching there) are back together at USC. 

I’ll leave it there. 

Nothing trumps game film, and I mean nothing. 

Rattler is a winner 

Going back through Rattler’s ESPN game log, his team only lost two games he played extensively in between 2019-2021. In 2020, he capped off the season by winning a Big 12 Championship and then defeated Florida in the Goodyear Cotton Bowl. 

I love what I see in Rattler’s eyes. He’s got ice in his eyes and he’s got a chip on his shoulder, and in the NFL, there is no substitute for either. 

#7 Spencer Rattler 6-foot-1, 215 pounds

Daniel Kelly Grade: First Round (Top 10) Early Fall 2022 Report

FIRST ROUND MOCK BIG BOARD: QB2 

Projected by 14.5% of the NFL Draft Community to be a first-round pick as of August 31, 2022 (nflmockdraftdatabase.com)

2021 game film reviewed: West Virginia, Texas, Kansas State and Nebraska (click to watch games viewed to form this evaluation) 

Level of competition: High

2021 stats: 140/187 (74.9%), 1,483 yards (avg. 7.9), 11 TD, 5 INT.

NFL Comparable: Patrick Mahomes

2023 NFL Draft Scouting Report:

Athletic and ultra competitive NFL-ready gunslinger with a strong arm who can move around and leads with a high energy tempo. Crisp and alert looking and well schooled in terms of pocket mechanics and ball handling. His play-action fake even fooled the television camera. Decisive and deliberate. Can go through his progressions and pull the trigger quickly. Excels rolling out and he has a strong enough arm that he can hit his targets downfield without needing to set his feet. Tough as nails and poised to deliver under pressure. Big league arm, but he can also take something off and deliver passes with touch and finesse when needed. Able to make all the throws in terms of velocity and distance. Works the short game well, especially on the perimeters. Drives the ball and excels in the intermediate range. Not good at the deep range in terms of placement. Did not hit one deep in these documented four games (also struggled in the three 2020 games viewed). Tendency to make ill-advised passes when he tries to do too much. Takes a lot of sacks (35 total 2020-2021) and he is not much of a runner (2.0 college career rushing average). Overall, he has the skill-set to move the meter at the next level. 

What to watch for during the 2022 college football season:

How does he perform at South Carolina?

Has his deep passing game improved?

Has he cut-down on mistakes from trying to do too much?

Is he doing a better job of throwing the ball away and not taking sacks?

Rattler looks like a superstar in the making. I love his mixture of competitiveness, athleticism, arm strength and killer instinct he has for the position. Now he has to answer these four questions – and when he does, that will determine where he goes from here. 

Daniel Kelly is a former NFL Scout with the New York Jets. He was hired on the regime which featured Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Scott Pioli, Mike Tannenbaum, and Dick Haley. He currently writes for Sports Illustrated New York Jets and he is the Editor-in-Chief for First Round Mock. For more information about him visit his website at whateverittakesbook.com. He can be followed on Twitter @firstroundmock.

• Pie 3
  • Poo 3

No Way Do Not Want GIF by Schitt's Creek

This kid is trash and was awful on Netflix's "QB-1". He literally caused a controversy over Twitter by talking poo to a team they had just played and his family and coaching staff swept it under the rug so he wouldn't lose his scholarship. He wasn't even remorseful, he just smugly smiled and knew he would get away with it because he always does. Dude is bad news and not worth spending any kind of draft pick on.

Edited by DFive
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 3
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

Rattler overall has been pretty bad the last 2 years.  

Not sure 2 games vs suspect secondaries change that reality.   And that's really 1 great game.  One good game (he had 2 INTs Saturday and they dropped one).  Gamecock special teams IMO was the #1 reason Carolina won Saturday.  Always multiple, but they should be listed #1 IMO.   Field position (HUGE) and those 2 takeaways. 

• Pie 1

Just now, CRA said:

Rattler overall has been pretty bad the last 2 years.  

Not sure 2 games vs suspect secondaries change that reality.   And that's really 1 great game.  One good game (he had 2 INTs Saturday and they dropped one).  Gamecock special teams IMO was the #1 reason Carolina won Saturday.  Always multiple, but they should be listed #1 IMO.   Field position (HUGE) and those 2 takeaways. 

He was good enough to kick your teams butt in your own house. 🤣😂 Don't be salty he owned your defense in the second quarter. 

• Beer 1

I really hope Rattler stays in school one more year. He definitely will get drafted but he's far from pollished and makes mental errors too much right now. He has a NFL arm and can make all the throws and does remind me of a young Mahomes but he needs to work on decision making and consistency. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Snake said:

I really hope Rattler stays in school one more year. He definitely will get drafted but he's far from pollished and makes mental errors too much right now. He has a NFL arm and can make all the throws and does remind me of a young Mahomes but he needs to work on decision making and consistency. 

Like an 8 year old Mahomes?

• Pie 1