• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College Bowl Games

jayboogieman

13 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

His stock goes up by bailing on his teammates? UF was 6-6 and terrible w/ Richardson. They would have lost with him too, but i can't blame him for sitting out. More film of his throwing with a 49% completion rate isn't going to help his draft stock.  Bryce Young is going to play in his bowl.

No way I would play that bowl game if it was me or my son or player as a coach.  

No reason whatsoever to risk a young man’s future on a meaningless bowl game

BTW…I wouldn’t play the bowl game as Young either.  If he takes some serious injury it will really impact his life.  No way

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 2

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'd prefer the bowl games go back to being quality. Yeah, for the most part I don't watch. Hence why I'd like a change. I thought I made that fairly clear.

Uh welll you didn’t. Because your argument still makes no sense. You want to go back to quality bowl games that are top 10 matchups? Okay no problem. Wait until Jan 1 and watch those. It doesn’t affect you one bit to not watch before then. Your “solution” only takes away the opportunity for people who want to watch and kids who want to play in those games. 

20 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

Uh welll you didn’t. Because your argument still makes no sense. You want to go back to quality bowl games that are top 10 matchups? Okay no problem. Wait until Jan 1 and watch those. It doesn’t affect you one bit to not watch before then. Your “solution” only takes away the opportunity for people who want to watch and kids who want to play in those games. 

No. I want to get away from this massively bloated bowl system where simply making a bowl is irrelevant because anyone who isn't absolutely awful goes to a bowl game of some sort. It's not "for the kids". That's why so many of the draftable guys end up sitting out. If you want to watch the shitty bowls, go for it. But the bloated bowl system is the reason the bowls are shitty.

• Pie 1

34 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

There are 41 bowl games and the only requirement to be in one is winning 6 games. Bowl games should be restricted to schools with no more than 3, maybe 4 losses. It should be the good to great schools in them only. And yeah, that would mean cutting out some of the bowl games.

This. Simply going to a bowl carries no meaning now. That's why all the bowls that aren't playoff games simply don't matter. If you still had to actually be a good team to qualify they'd still matter. Evidently this hurts some people's feelings. Oh fuging well. 😂

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

No. I want to get away from this massively bloated bowl system where simply making a bowl is irrelevant because anyone who isn't absolutely awful goes to a bowl game of some sort. It's not "for the kids". That's why so many of the draftable guys end up sitting out. If you want to watch the shitty bowls, go for it. But the bloated bowl system is the reason the bowls are shitty.

Saying the bowl isn’t for the kids is a wild statement coming from some middle aged dude behind a keyboard. I wasn’t good enough to last more than a year as a walk on in college, but was close to the players and know playing in the bowl game was a big deal to many of them. We missed one year at 5-7 and players were devastated the season ended there without post season play. I see what you’re saying, but I think you’re way too confident and wrong in a few key areas. 

besides I like having football on every day leading up to Christmas. If you don’t just don’t watch, those meaningful games are still there for you after new years. 

53 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

Saying the bowl isn’t for the kids is a wild statement coming from some middle aged dude behind a keyboard. I wasn’t good enough to last more than a year as a walk on in college, but was close to the players and know playing in the bowl game was a big deal to many of them. We missed one year at 5-7 and players were devastated the season ended there without post season play. I see what you’re saying, but I think you’re way too confident and wrong in a few key areas. 

besides I like having football on every day leading up to Christmas. If you don’t just don’t watch, those meaningful games are still there for you after new years. 

Feelings from yesteryear are irrelevant. If you were on a college team, how many kids were sitting out of bowl games back then?

Yeah... exactly. That's my point. Bowls as they currently exist under the current system simply don't matter.

10 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Feelings from yesteryear are irrelevant. If you were on a college team, how many kids were sitting out of bowl games back then?

Yeah... exactly. That's my point. Bowls as they currently exist under the current system simply don't matter.

They don't matter but they are still fun to turn to on an evening like last night and just enjoy watching some random teams I never watched play in a game that did not mean much. It is still football and still enjoyable to watch in my opinion.

My big thing is how do they even have enough players to play in a bowl game with everyone stuck in these damn portal things floating around the universe of NIL?

3 minutes ago, YourLastThought said:

My big thing is how do they even have enough players to play in a bowl game with everyone stuck in these damn portal things floating around the universe of NIL?

Practice team and benchwarmers 😄

If they keep the same number of bowl games, they're going to end up having to pay the players, especially the bigger names people want to see, to play in them.

15 hours ago, rebelrouser said:

His stock goes up by bailing on his teammates? UF was 6-6 and terrible w/ Richardson. They would have lost with him too, but i can't blame him for sitting out. More film of his throwing with a 49% completion rate isn't going to help his draft stock.  Bryce Young is going to play in his bowl.

He is around 55% (right around Josh Allen’s college stats) with poo around him. The bowl game shines a light on how bad the team was AR was playing on. The fact that Florida only puts up 3 points against a PAC 12 defense shows how much he carried that offense as bland as it was. Now if they actually centered the offense around his strengths it could have been a decent year for their offense. I think it absolutely helps his draft stock.

16 hours ago, AggieLean said:

Deion, JSU, and the rest of the SWAC don’t match up well against MEAC teams and their line play. 

I didn’t know Central would win, but I knew they weren’t going to be dominated like Deion was saying all week. Honestly, Central dominated and the refs kept JSU in the game. It hurt, but I was rooting for NCCU.

You called it the other week, I remember you saying that NC Central is a bad matchup for JSU.  Obviously you know more about HBCU football than me, but I'm in the Triangle so there was some buzz around the game.