• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Attacking “glass half full” posters after a loss…

Wundrbread33

2 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

My only problem with the tanking crowd isn't that they don't want to win, it's the belief that it is at all likely that the team would deliberately put itself in a position to do so - coaches and players are fighting for their next contract, if not their pride, and while most of us know how the playoffs are likely to go even if they happen (one of the teams in this division has to win it lol), that chance alone will inspire the team. 

I don't begrudge people for seeing tanking as a path to success, and don't think the difference in opinion deserves a personal attack. Lots of personal attacks these days (I'm sure I'm not innocent of that either).  Losing for so long saps a lot of the positivity out of the fan base.

Did the team look inspired to you yesterday?

• The D 1

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Did the team look inspired to you yesterday?

Do you really think they've quit? 

They were out coached, but I think most still played hard. They were not put in a position to succeed tho.

Anyway inspire in this context was used to talk about deliberately losing/tanking - it's very hard to deliberately tank in the NFL. "luckily" for those interested in draft position this team isn't exactly good enough or coached will enough to win consistently.

Edited by mav1234

Just now, mav1234 said:

Do you really think they've quit? 

They were out coached, but I think most still played hard. They were not put in a position to succeed tho.

Thats 2 different things.  They didnt quit but they certainly were out hustled, out coached and didnt have any sense of urgency.  The oline in particular and most certainly brown and burns.  The pff grades are going to be interesting once they start dropping.

• Beer 1

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Thats 2 different things.  They didnt quit but they certainly were out hustled, out coached and didnt have any sense of urgency.  The oline in particular and most certainly brown and burns.  The pff grades are going to be interesting once they start dropping.

So you think yesterday was deliberately tanking?  Or are you just upset with a particular word choice? It's pretty clear to me they aren't tanking and haven't quit, and still believe they have a shot at the playoffs.  Your opinion may differ.

Just now, mav1234 said:

So you think yesterday was deliberately tanking?  Or are you just upset with a particular word choice? It's pretty clear to me they aren't tanking and haven't quit, and still believe they have a shot at the playoffs.  Your opinion may differ.

How do you get that from my post?   That’s not what I am even remotely saying.  

• Beer 1

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

How do you get that from my post?   That’s not what I am even remotely saying.  

I don't have any clue what you are saying. You asked if I thought the team looked inspired when I was using the word to explain why they weren't going to deliberately tank.  I do think that the hope of the playoffs has inspired a change in the team compared to when Rhule was in charge, it doesn't mean the team played "an inspired" game or something.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I think he is saying Wilks may not have these great motivational skills people are claiming he does.  Sure they were fired up for a few games (probably because Rhule was gone), but in a game where you are getting outcoached and no adjustments are made, it's hard for players to stay super pumped/motivated.  They can only ride they wave for so long IMO.  Preparation, adjustment, playing your roster to it's strengths can go much longer than simply trying to pump up your players.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

The moral to this thread is simple: man up. Stop being butthurt no matter which side you're on in a debate. If someone gives you a hard time for being positive after a loss ... get over it. If someone questions your sanity for hoping we lose every game ... get over it.

High Five Best Friends GIF by reactionseditor

Edited by Brooklyn 3.0
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I think he is saying Wilks may not have these great motivational skills people are claiming he does.  Sure they were fired up for a few games (probably because Rhule was gone), but in a game where you are getting outcoached and no adjustments are made, it's hard for players to stay super pumped/motivated.  They can only ride they wave for so long IMO.  Preparation, adjustment, playing your roster to it's strengths can go much longer than simply trying to pump up your players.  

In that case I agree with him, haha.

Oh by no means do I think Wilks is exceptional as... Well anything... I do not want him back. In the wider scheme of the year I think it's blind to say the team isn't playing harder for him than Rhule but that's all relative. And it doesn't matter if Wilks is better than Rhule. We need more than that. 

I do think the players kept fighting but I personally think yesterday was less about their own personal motivation and more being outschemed and outmuscled. They got shoved around and outplayed. We made no adjustments. It was like a Rivera team all over again.

The inspired word choice was about why the team wasn't going to just give up and/or tank either. 

Edited by mav1234
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

exactly, thanks for this.  And it was evidenced by how frustrated the team was getting all game.  Tomlin and his staff put on a clinic.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

exactly, thanks for this.  And it was evidenced by how frustrated the team was getting all game.  Tomlin and his staff put on a clinic.

That I agree with - my post wasn't about one game but the wider context is all, but may not have been clear. Sorry if that was confusing - that's why I asked if you thought they were tanking.

It's hard / impossible to truly tank in the NFL intentionally, but at least having a bad coaching staff gets you part way there 🤷

Edited by mav1234
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I mean…sometimes the other guys just have your number. We lost the trenches yesterday. The Steelers did what we try to do, but did it to us, and they did it better. 

McAdoo is bad. Sam needs to game manage at best. He’s playing like a solid backup should. We can’t get behind in a game. 

The team, however, responded well after the Bengals ass whooping. Let’s see how they respond to a similar ass whooping, not in score, but in the trenches. 

It’s not a certainty they were uninspired just because they got beat. poo happens. 

1 hour ago, MasterAwesome said:

I dunno why you're sneaking Fields into this discussion considering he was available at our draft slot lol.  Ironically if anything, you could argue that had we won one more game in 2020, that Horn/Surtain would have been gone (Dallas was rumored to be high on one of the top two corners) and we might have actually ended up taking Fields instead.

Not sneaking him in at all. I brought him up because he’s a young QB we passed on. We have made terrible decisions regarding QBs for the longest time. We have wasted a lot of picks and resources into going after guys who aren’t good. It’s time to take a chance on a rookie first rounder.