• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article: Derrick Brown: We want Steve Wilks to be our head coach

WarPanthers89

1 minute ago, Tr3ach said:

Say that and rewatch the Pittsburgh game, or the Cincinnati game, or the ravens game.  Same oline, running backs, and coaches.  You cant rely on your running game always working.  You cant rely on your defense always getting stops so you can continue running.  It doesnt work anymore like it used to.  Not with all these elite big play offenses.

We didn't lose the Steelers game because of the offense 

Well run organizations do not let employees choose their supervisors.   You may recognize that your own multivariate assessment coincides with the popular opinion of employees but, that is just happy coincidence when it occurs.  If you make the right selection of a different candidate on qualifications, the employees will buy in eventually.

Edited by bythenbrs
  • Pie 2

36 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

The offense only scored 16 points. You’re not going to win many games putting up only 16 points. While they’re not the sole reason we lost; they played a big part in the L.

As I recall we didn't have very many offensive possessions due to the defense allowing Trubisky to slowly and methodically grind out first downs over and over again. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

As I recall we didn't have very many offensive possessions due to the defense allowing Trubisky to slowly and methodically grind out first downs over and over again. 

We also had 4 3 and outs out of 5 first half possessions.  And in the second half, we had 2 red zone trips in the fourth qtr that end up with field goals.  Both the offense and the defense lost that game because the steelers dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides.   Our offense couldn't run, and while Darnold played fairly well when he got time, he was under pressure a lot.  And our defense couldn't stop the run and couldn't pressure the passer, which allowed a scrub like Trubiski to carve us up.   

• Pie 4

53 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

The offense only scored 16 points. You’re not going to win many games putting up only 16 points. While they’re not the sole reason we lost; they played a big part in the L.

You don't win many games when your defense gives up 11+ minute 91 yd drives.

You essentially lost a whole quarter of football. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

Well run organizations do not let employees choose their supervisors.   You may recognize that your own multivariate assessment coincides with the popular opinion of employees but, that is just happy coincidence when it occurs.  If you make the right selection of a different candidate on qualifications, the employees will buy in eventually.

Never said players should choose the coach. Said hire a qualified leader of men which Wilkes appears to be. He also has great history with the team and city. He was here when the team had success! I did say  player buy in is important ( see players comments on Rhule). If you get Sean Payton or someone you undoubtedly know is better than Wilkes , go for it, otherwise you are taking just as much a gamble hiring someone unproven but supposedly an offensive whiz (see Joe Brady). If there is someone you know is better than Wilkes....great otherwise you are gambling be it on Wilkes or someone else offensive minded. I have heard from many analyst and pros from the offensive side and defensive side and they all say the game is won in the trenches.  

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

Players wanted to keep grass at BoA Stadium too, as opposed to playing on turf. How'd that work out? 

Hoping Tepper reconsiders that greedy dumbassery! Be nice if owner would make the right decision on the coach and turf. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, ADR said:

Hoping Tepper reconsiders that greedy dumbassery! Be nice if owner would make the right decision on the coach and turf. 

I'm with you on that, but I think that we should do legitimate research on other prospects before handing Wilks the job.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2

55 minutes ago, The Natural said:

38 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

You don't win many games when your defense gives up 11+ minute 91 yd drives.

You essentially lost a whole quarter of football. 

You’re not winning many games scoring just 16 points. While the offense isn’t the sole reason we lost, they played a part in the L. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I'm with you on that, but I think that we should do legitimate research on other prospects before handing Wilks the job.

I don't disagree with that, but also do not want to hand it to someone unproven just because he's "offensive minded" 

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, ADR said:

See:Trent Dilfer. Joe Flacco, Nick Foles, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Jim McMahon, Doug Williams, Brad Johnson. 

Great running game, great O-Line, top 10 defense....can still win a Super Bowl

Of the QB's on your list, only one won his SB in the past decade in the modern pass whacky NFL. By the time this year's SB is played, Flacco's win with the Ravens will be a decade old, before contemporary rule tweaks and offensive philosophies made the pass all but dominant. Everyone else but Foles won their Lombardi in different eras with rules that let receivers get murdered going over the middle, battered at the LOS and as they got into their routes, and protected the QB's against pass rushers far less.

Citing QB's who won their trophies in different eras of football doesn't really make your point, it undermines it.

• Pie 2