• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Some Good Ol' Sam Appreciation

TheCasillas

3 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

I figured someone would over react to my statement.   

Personally,  if need someone who has to constantly play hero ball, we're fuged.  Even the best make mistakes when playing hero ball.   

Sam is.making strides, and he is certainly capable of.playing at a higher level, as he has the talent to do so. He just needs to be able to trust his oline, and his weapons. 

Every QB needs to be able to rely on his teammates. This is the ultimate team sport. 

I'm not saying Sam is a Franchise guy, but I know the book is not written on him yet. 

That's a fair assessment. 

I just think that perhaps if it finally all of a sudden clicks for him, it may be for another team and not us.

Though the odds that it does click for him are stacked against him.

But who knows?

Let's see what happens this Sunday.

This is by far the Biggest Game of his career. 

• Pie 1

You need a competent oline and some playmakers for a young qb to develop. By the time Justin Fields has this he will be in a wheelchair. I wouldn't mind keeping Sam while Corral and whomever we draft develop, but he is not worth anything near the 18M we are currently paying him. He would have to take a huge salary cut and realize that getting the young guys snaps and experience is also a priority. 

If we can win the next 2 games and make the playoffs that makes Darnold 5-1 as a starter. How many backup qbs in the league will be doing as well??  How many starters??  Let's see how we finish before evaluating anything and making any proclamations, but Darnold has 2 and maybe more to make his case to be a starting qb somewhere next year.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

41 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

You need a competent oline and some playmakers for a young qb to develop. By the time Justin Fields has this he will be in a wheelchair. I wouldn't mind keeping Sam while Corral and whomever we draft develop, but he is not worth anything near the 18M we are currently paying him. He would have to take a huge salary cut and realize that getting the young guys snaps and experience is also a priority. 

I think it's likely that Sam would take a paycut considering the Panthers were probably the only team that gave him a shot after his career seemed shot in NY. 

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 2

I am glad for Sam 

I hope it continues.  

i hope plays lights out over the next 3 games, the panthers go to playoffs and he plays well in games that matter and rewrites his story 

The truth is the Panthers only have one true receiver in Moore and the other pass catching options are not great combined with McAdoo’s offensive passing scheme so…

…Yes, a lot of times, it’s not just  a ‘hero ball for the first down, it’s Jesus throw .   A miracle once in awhile is one thing but every game is pretty hard 

Carolina is a team of hard working ‘Rudys’, 

Almost like a team  from the island of ‘misfit toys ‘ 

…a qb no one wanted, a HC no one wanted, a rB, no one wanted, etc etc 

i thank them for making December mean something and I could not have imagined that in October 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

23 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Yeah an endorsement from Ryan Leaf is not going to help Sam's case.

He's done a lot of maturing and gotten a lot better perspective. Been watching him fill in for Rich Eisen from time to time and wasn't expecting to be impressed, but I was. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

13 minutes ago, rayzor said:

He's done a lot of maturing and gotten a lot better perspective. Been watching him fill in for Rich Eisen from time to time and wasn't expecting to be impressed, but I was. 

I have to admit he did do a good breakdown of Sam's game.  I also have to admit that Sam's play has been night and day different than it has in the past. He looks like a different qb out there. Knock on wood.

• Pie 3

26 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I have to admit he did do a good breakdown of Sam's game.  I also have to admit that Sam's play has been night and day different than it has in the past. He looks like a different qb out there. Knock on wood.

Yeah there's some things that Leaf pointed out that I really didn't notice. I've just been so focused on "please don't screw this up Sammy" to realize that Sammy has been playing really well.

I mean I'm not near the point where I can trust him or feel good about him, but I'm feeling better about him. 

Now I'm not saying that we should look at him as a long term answer but....you know....if IF  he keeps playing like this and we make it to the the NFCCG, maybe we shouldn't just be thinking about keeping Wilks, but also MacAdoo and Sammy. I don't expect that to happen, but if it does I'm of the persuasion that if it's working that we'll, you don't blow it up and start over. You keep going that direction.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

Yeah there's some things that Leaf pointed out that I really didn't notice. I've just been so focused on "please don't screw this up Sammy" to realize that Sammy has been playing really well.

I mean I'm not near the point where I can trust him or feel good about him, but I'm feeling better about him. 

Now I'm not saying that we should look at him as a long term answer but....you know....if IF  he keeps playing like this and we make it to the the NFCCG, maybe we shouldn't just be thinking about keeping Wilks, but also MacAdoo and Sammy. I don't expect that to happen, but if it does I'm of the persuasion that if it's working that we'll, you don't blow it up and start over. You keep going that direction.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.  If only this team of misfits could be so lucky as to have Sam put it together and play at this level consistently.  But if they do get him to play at that level and get us to the nfccg you would be crazy to blow that up. You ride that wave until it crashes while you groom his replacement. 

• Pie 2

9 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

That's a fair assessment. 

I just think that perhaps if it finally all of a sudden clicks for him, it may be for another team and not us.

Though the odds that it does click for him are stacked against him.

But who knows?

Let's see what happens this Sunday.

This is by far the Biggest Game of his career. 

Tell that to Gino Smith, Alex Smith, Cousins, Rich Gannon...to name a several.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

Now I'm not saying that we should look at him as a long term answer but....you know....if IF  he keeps playing like this and we make it to the the NFCCG, maybe we shouldn't just be thinking about keeping Wilks, but also MacAdoo and Sammy. I don't expect that to happen, but if it does I'm of the persuasion that if it's working that well, you don't blow it up and start over. You keep going that direction.

I just can’t trust this team. I still feel the shoe will drop. We were really bad against actual playoff teams. If we face the Niners or Eagles it will likely be a blowout. Niners defense is made to destroy QBs like Darnold. 

3 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I just can’t trust this team. I still feel the shoe will drop. We were really bad against actual playoff teams. If we face the Niners or Eagles it will likely be a blowout. Niners defense is made to destroy QBs like Darnold. 

So? There are no expectations for this team to do anything this season.  Everyone on that team is auditioning for a job next season, whether here or somewhere else.  Just enjoy the ride as long as it lasts. Maybe we can play spoiler for a few teams and have some laughs.  Ya never know. 

• Pie 3

17 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

So? There are no expectations for this team to do anything this season.  Everyone on that team is auditioning for a job next season, whether here or somewhere else.  Just enjoy the ride as long as it lasts. Maybe we can play spoiler for a few teams and have some laughs.  Ya never know. 

I would rather have a team that deserved to make the playoffs and Super Bowl. Not a team that lucked its way in because its division is poo. 
The 2014 when they made the playoffs they were playing like the 2013 team at that point because they were finally healthy, for the most part. They were a 12-4 team trapped in a 7-8-1 team. 
That team could have made the Super Bowl and deserved to make the playoffs, imo. 
This team does not. But if people want to live in fantasy land more power to them. I prefer to live in reality. 

Edited by TLGPanthersFan