• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Act as GM if we win the division….

WarPanthers89

Random drunk thought here but how would you feel if the following scenario played out…..

***We win the next two games and win the NFC South. Home playoff game***

What direction would you take if you were make believe Gm this upcoming offseason??

Here is mine:

-Steve Wilks is signed as our next head coach 

-We sign an exciting name as OC and have Macadoo back in another role with the team (our offense has been much improved lately)

-We re sign Darnold to a one year deal (he has has a 104.3 rating currently) and give him an opportunity to COMPETE for a starting role or be our top tier backup QB. We go into the season with Darnold, Corrall, AND rookie QB as our depth chart. 

-We re sign Bozeman to a 4 year deal, Foreman to a 1 year deal

-Extend Burns (which will also help cap next season)

-We sign a top tier TE (such as Schultz, Ertz,  Gesicki)

-We use our draft picks in round one, two, two, three, four, four, five on BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE that could be any position of need

Off-season decisions/needs

-Add one year to Shaq Thompsons contract to decrease his cap hit or cut him? If you keep him you are set at LB, if you cut him you have to sign a FA or draft LB high

-DE to start opposite Burns must be a draft pick. If we re sign Burns we will have good money tied up in the position. We have good depth with gross Matos and Haynes but both are depth only. We don’t have the money to sign a good player in FA so you need to draft one using a 1st or 2nd round pick depending on how the draft falls.

-Is Marshall our WR 2 for next season? 

-QB? Do you draft one in round one? If not do you take another shot with one of our two second round picks.

CEFE7511-D4DD-42B5-A616-1461927970BA.jpeg

54AEDA1C-6FCF-4FDF-AB6F-88FA2A49B834.jpeg

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 2

Reich as OC

Re-sign Darnold to two year, cap friendly deal; assumes no major regression last two games.  Darnold is your bridge QB while rookie draft pick and Corral are developed; two years to allow Corral and draft pick to develop without throwing them to the wolves too soon.  If one excels after just one year, sweet.

Re-sign Foreman (2 years) and Bozeman (3 years).

Levis / Richardson - 1A / 1B

Round 2.1 needs to be best TE available that can run routes and catch a football

Round 2.2 DE or DT [Starr 2.0, come on down]

Round 3 DE or DT; double dipping (yes, our run defense is that deficient)

Round 4.1 IL that can be future C (eventual Bozeman replacement)

Round 4.2 LB

Edited by bythenbrs
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1. Sign Wilks to a 4-year deal

2. Acquire Lamar. If that doesn't work, roll with Corral and a couple 1-yr vets, and trade whatever picks and unprotected players from '23 for '24 picks to try to have enough ammo to move up to draft Maye/Williams. 

3. Sign bona fide TEs and fill in holes with short deals.

4. Win division by default again next year as it'll still be a poo-show.

5. Use acquired '24 draft ammo to draft Maye/Williams.

6. Establish dominance over NFC South for at least the rest of the decade.

• Flames 1
  • Poo 1

Unless you win that first playoff game and prove you belong to be there, it means nothing in this trash division and Wilks hasn’t proved anything other than he is better than Rhule.

New HC, best available, from a consensus of hired scouts/consults and from the new GM. Fitt isn’t it, sorry, needs to go.

If there is a franchise QB in the draft, you trade up and get him.

Resign Bozeman and keep this line together.

Spend a high value pick on the Dline especially without a franchise QB there (but I find that hard to believe). Next up a LB/WR. Those are musts, draft or FA.

Profit.

None of that will happen though because genius Tepper will outsmart the NFL again by thinking the best candidates for HC and GM also just so happen to miraculously already be here. It’s truly a miracle.

If Tepper hired consults, none of them would say Wilks and Fit are the best for the job, let that sink in.

So we will likely repeat what is happening albeit with a more mediocre record, fighting for .500 every year. Unfortunately Tepper sees an upgrade just like our fans because of Rhule, and mainly because he really has no clue what he’s doing.

Especially if we start going after and overpaying FA QBs and remain adamant for some reason not to draft one with actual first round talent and develop potentially worthwhile talent.

Now if we get in the playoffs without Horn and beat Dallas, I will be 100% be on the Wilks train. However I would bet a very large sum of money that does not happen.

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

If we win the next two games, Wilks would be 7-5. 

Or do you disagree with this approach?

How many of those 7 wins are from winning teams and how many of those losses are from losing teams?

Ah, and now it all makes sense.

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 2

1 minute ago, onmyown said:

How many of those 7 wins are from winning teams?

That’s adding another variable but I’ll play. 

You can only play who you play. Seattle was a winning team. Lions were one of the hottest teams in the league going 6-1 against quality before our game. 

I understand people feeling how you do, but I don’t give it much weight. This is the NFL. Every game is against pros. It’s not like Saban beating up Florida A&M Technical Community College. 

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

10 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

That’s adding another variable but I’ll play. 

You can only play who you play. Seattle was a winning team. Lions were one of the hottest teams in the league going 6-1 against quality before our game. 

I understand people feeling how you do, but I don’t give it much weight. This is the NFL. Every game is against pros. It’s not like Saban beating up Florida A&M Technical Community College. 

I’m not knocking Wilks for the schedule, I’m simply pointing out he has won vs. only 1 team with a winning record, and a winning record of only 1 game at that.

He has also lost to every single decent team we have played this year (by decent I don’t mean Seahawks or Lions, I mean we’ll rounded playoff caliber).

For some reason some thinks this is the future. I’m not asking Wilks to do the impossible, but there has been zero flashes of a potential modern head coach candidate. He is reverting to co trolling the clock and running it which works well vs. poor teams.

However there are no flashes of greatness. No adjustments. No scheming. Everything is very safe and when it doesn’t work, we might as well give up because poo won’t change (see Steelers game).

No signs at all of greatness, just better than Rhule.

Edited by onmyown